Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Date-Based Ticket Pricing Arrives October 16

Post Thanks / Like

Default Date-Based Ticket Pricing Arrives October 16

Walt Disney World will soon price its theme park tickets based upon demand for the date guests wish to visit.

View complete article
    This website is an unofficial publication regarding the Disney Vacation Club and is not affiliated in any way with Walt Disney World, The Walt Disney Company, the Disney Vacation Club, Disney Vacation Development, or any of their affiliates or subsidiaries. All Disney images © The Walt Disney Company. All information presented on this site is subject to change. Information presented on this site may not be reproduced without permission.

Post Thanks / Like

I am not convinced this will give guests more options. But it will definitely require more planning if you are on a budget.

As to the price of Magic Kingdom tickets no longer being higher than the others, I think it means that the other parks will just be as expensive as the Magic Kingdom tickets. And when Star Wars land opens, DHS might be higher year round.

I do expect there will be more types of annual passes similar to what Disneyland in California now offers, so if you take multiple trips to WDW you will need to purchase an AP that covers all your travel dates or an upgrade will be needed when you show up on date that your AP doesn't cover.
    Last edited by denlo; 09-26-2018 at 08:25 AM.
    --Denise

Scheduled upcoming Disney trips:

11/27-12/14/18 AKV Kidani Village
    2/19-2/22/19 - Bay Lake Tower
    3/10-3/14/19 - AKV Jambo House

3. Likes ekosswald1990 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by denlo View Post
    I am not convinced this will give guests more options. But it will definitely require more planning if you are on a budget.

As to the price of Magic Kingdom tickets no longer being higher than the others, I think it means that the other parks will just be as expensive as the Magic Kingdom tickets. And when Star Wars land opens, DHS might be higher year round.
    I suspect it's going to remove a lot of transparency from Disney tickets. Guests will have to plug their specific dates into the website to get prices. Disney could raise the base rates at any time for any variety of dates, increase costs for individual dates as popularity rises, etc. Unlike the past when Disney would announce ticket increases, we may never know exactly when base rates go up anymore because there's so much variability.

I'm quite sure Disney is motivated to earn more money. However, I also think it will have the desired effect of balancing crowds. Some people will be limited to certain vacation dates but others will alter their trips based upon posted costs. Budget-seekers will find the cheapest dates...dates which currently have low crowds and can afford to see a rise in attendance.

It's difficult for me to fault Disney continually tweaking prices since consumers don't seem to be bothered by it. Attendance continues to rise, and it will only grow higher with things like Star Wars, Ratatouille and Guardians of the Galaxy on the horizon.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm wondering what, if any, effect this might have on APs. Going forth, a person who uses their AP for all "expensive" days gets a much better value than a person who only goes on the "cheapest" days. Personally, I'd be interested in an AP that allows the user to only go on the "cheapest" days, or maybe includes just a certain number of moderate or expensive days.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by simbasmom View Post
    I'm wondering what, if any, effect this might have on APs. Going forth, a person who uses their AP for all "expensive" days gets a much better value than a person who only goes on the "cheapest" days. Personally, I'd be interested in an AP that allows the user to only go on the "cheapest" days, or maybe includes just a certain number of moderate or expensive days.
    I expect that they will increase and WDW will had a tier based AP so that there will be similar to those at Disneyland California. The prices will be slightly lower because WDW has been lower for years. Also there will be a Annual Pass for Floridians and maybe DVC members.

Here is the passes shown for Disneyland https://disneyland.disney.go.com/passes/ I couldn't access the Southern Californian AP rates.

--Denise

Scheduled upcoming Disney trips:

11/27-12/14/18 AKV Kidani Village
    2/19-2/22/19 - Bay Lake Tower
    3/10-3/14/19 - AKV Jambo House

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TimK View Post
    However, I also think it will have the desired effect of balancing crowds. Some people will be limited to certain vacation dates but others will alter their trips based upon posted costs. Budget-seekers will find the cheapest dates...dates which currently have low crowds and can afford to see a rise in attendance.
    I'm not so sure that Date-Based ticket pricing will have that much impact on balancing crowds. My thinking is that the the cost of the hotel room will continue to have a much larger influence on controlling crowds than ticket prices.

I just checked the rack rates for Wilderness Lodge and saw that a standard view hotel room has 13 different rack rates across 14 different seasons throughout calendar year 2018. The rack rate price can be as low as $325 a night in January to as high as $577 a night in late December. For the budget-conscious traveler, its obvious that it makes more sense to book a room in mid-January than the last 5 days of December.

The big question about the Date-Based tickets is how much of a price difference will there be between the lowest priced date and the highest priced date. If the difference is only a few dollars, then some travelers won't let ticket prices drive their decision on which dates they visit. But if the price difference is $20 or $30 a day, then it becomes an important variable in budgeting for a trip.

We don't know how many different price points Disney will set for its tickets. Will the Date-Based tickets mirror the hotel rack rate schedule and have 13 different prices over 14 different seasons? But if that is the case, then Date-Based ticket pricing simply duplicates the effect of the hotel rack rates. The net effect is that Date-Based tickets become a redundant way to manage crowds.

Of course, what also could happen is that Date-Based ticket pricing could have its own rate schedule that is separate and independent of the hotel rack rates. But that could cause travelers to find that they can save some money on tickets if they visit on certain dates, but then they pay more for their hotel room. The bottom line is that budget-conscious travelers will need a cost algorithm that factors in ticket prices, hotel prices, and maybe even airfare prices in order to determine the best times to visit WDW.

Post Thanks / Like

Denise, I'm guessing that the Deluxe Passport, that talks about blackout days and admission on certain days is what we're talking about. Out of curiosity, I might research that and then hope that WDW does something like that and also pray for a DVC discount!

Post Thanks / Like

The advantage of an annual pass is that I can choose the days I want to attend a park and not be forced to go when the weather is bad.
    ~Diana