Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Forced to buy 100 points

Hilton Head 2 weeks a year, otherwise irrelevent
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Forced to buy 100 points

We are re-writing our wills and counsel asked about the two DVC contracts.

One is 100 points more than the other. "Which child gets the larger contract?" she asked.

So there you go, can't give one child a smaller contract. Have to buy 100 points to even them out.

Makes sense, right?

2. Likes micelike, KNWVIKING 2.0 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would just caution you and it may be irrelevant in your case. We have 2 boys (men now) we considered when purchasing points. They are in our will to split the 900 points evenly, we purchased 4 sets of points - 2 each WAS the plan. Only things to factor in, as we are learning painfully, is 1.) will they continue to love going as they get older and raise a family? Will their spouse hate going and force them to sell? 2.) financial burden...to have and use from where we live, they need to be able to afford the annual dues (ahem, maint fees), plane tickets, park passes, food, chachkies, and other incidentals. Can they afford using them even if they want to? If your children are doing well, and not, oh say a struggling musician or aimless wanderer or such, then yes, even is good. No need to cause a fight over them if they are cherished. So as we (hopefully) get old(er) and the contracts expire, we will need to make judgment calls. We hope to use them another 15-20 years - don't see us going enough in our 80's to warrant keeping them at that point. I could be a drooling mess by then, who knows.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dan58diz View Post
    I would just caution you and it may be irrelevant in your case. We have 2 boys (men now) we considered when purchasing points. They are in our will to split the 900 points evenly, we purchased 4 sets of points - 2 each WAS the plan. Only things to factor in, as we are learning painfully, is 1.) will they continue to love going as they get older and raise a family? Will their spouse hate going and force them to sell? 2.) financial burden...to have and use from where we live, they need to be able to afford the annual dues (ahem, maint fees), plane tickets, park passes, food, chachkies, and other incidentals. Can they afford using them even if they want to? If your children are doing well, and not, oh say a struggling musician or aimless wanderer or such, then yes, even is good. No need to cause a fight over them if they are cherished. So as we (hopefully) get old(er) and the contracts expire, we will need to make judgment calls. We hope to use them another 15-20 years - don't see us going enough in our 80's to warrant keeping them at that point. I could be a drooling mess by then, who knows.
    I don't think Tom is REALLY buying the points to balance the will.

Hilton Head 2 weeks a year, otherwise irrelevent
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KNWVIKING 2.0 View Post
    I don't think Tom is REALLY buying the points to balance the will.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Viking what a good excuse to buy more points.
    --Denise

Scheduled upcoming Disney trips:

11/27-12/14/18 AKV Kidani Village
    2/19-2/22/19 - Bay Lake Tower
    3/10-3/14/19 - AKV Jambo House