Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Topping up and using resale

Post Thanks / Like

Default Topping up and using resale

Hi All,

So, I'm looking at taking the big step of buying DVC.

I had all but convinced myself that I was going to make the purchase by buying a resale as I was able to get the points I wanted for the money I could afford but my DVC Guide has swooped back in and put some doubts in my mind.

I was wondering, if I were to buy 100 points from Disney at OWK (for example) and then in 3 years time I wanted to buy say 100 points at AKL, if i wanted two weeks at OKW could I use both sets of points at the same time when booking....if that makes any sense.

Thanks for reading

Stu

Post Thanks / Like

I enjoy having multiple homes but you can only use both set of points together at the 7 month mark - good think for you both of those resorts are very usable at 7 months.

Janet & Dan

Post Thanks / Like

If saving money is important to you could purchase one contract direct and the other resale. Once you have a contract of 75 points or more purchased direct from Disney Vacation Club (DVC), then you always qualify for the benefits the guides mention.

Like bakerworld said in her post it is fairly easy to book either AKV or OKW at the 7 month mark since they are both so large. The only problem you encounter is if you only plan to book Value or Club Level rooms at AKV. Many times those room types are both booked by AKV owners during the home resort period 8 - 11 months before check in.

I would always book at the 11 month mark at each resort and then at the 7 month mark try to switch to one resort. So you might only have 4 nights at one resort and the following 3 nights at the other. Or you can switch resorts just to be at a different location.
    --Denise

Scheduled upcoming Disney trips:

11/27-12/14/18 AKV Kidani Village
    2/19-2/22/19 - Bay Lake Tower
    3/10-3/14/19 - AKV Jambo House

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bakerworld View Post
    I enjoy having multiple homes but you can only use both set of points together at the 7 month mark - good think for you both of those resorts are very usable at 7 months.
    Thank you both, appreciate your advice. I'm still very torn on buying from Disney or resale. I just cannot decide!!!

Post Thanks / Like

That is a decision only you can make. Good luck.
    --Denise

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by denlo View Post
    That is a decision only you can make. Good luck.
    Thank you, I'm going to need it.

My current position is that I am from the UK, I know I want to go annually either around September/October or May for around two weeks so the accommodation is what is the most important thing for me. Whilst the member benefits of buying direct from Disney are excellent I think its unlikely I will be in a position to attend a lot of the member events, I wouldn't use the discount on annual passes as I just don't think its worth having one for 2 weeks a year and wouldn't access any of the special collections either which is why I am leaning more towards a resale at the moment. The DVC guide who I've stayed in touch with though has almost scared me off buying resale......though I understand that is part of his job!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by StuartG2198 View Post
    Thank you, I'm going to need it.

My current position is that I am from the UK, I know I want to go annually either around September/October or May for around two weeks so the accommodation is what is the most important thing for me. Whilst the member benefits of buying direct from Disney are excellent I think its unlikely I will be in a position to attend a lot of the member events, I wouldn't use the discount on annual passes as I just don't think its worth having one for 2 weeks a year and wouldn't access any of the special collections either which is why I am leaning more towards a resale at the moment. The DVC guide who I've stayed in touch with though has almost scared me off buying resale......though I understand that is part of his job!
    Since you get a great deal on tickets coming from the UK, I expect the cost for your tickets to be less than a annual pass. For most of us at the 10 day mark, APs are usually cheaper if you prefer park hopper tickets.

I would be curious as to what your guide has said to scare you so much. I would talk to another guide just to clarify those scary things the original guide told you. Or ask here. To me if all you are interested in is a room for two weeks then I would purchase resale.

It sounds like an April use year would be best for those traveling dates. As you could cancel and bank points if need be.
    --Denise

Post Thanks / Like

One thing to consider too is if you are buying resale the process is much longer. The length of time to complete the deal relys on the seller completing the paperwork in a timely manner. Thats assuming you can find the contract you want without disney snagging it back. Also have to make sure the contract has points available to use right away. Not all resale contracts have current or even next use years points. I wouldnt want to drop 10s of thousands then have to wait 2 years to use the product. Direct is much more expensive but also much more convenient. The cost difference value is up to you.
    Also, id ignore the perks in your decision to but direct. Weve seen them change quite a bit over the years. If your sole purpose of buying direct is to take advantage if perks you may be kicking yourself in a few years.
    If you have the time and patience then resale will save you loads of money.
    WDW - POFQ, CS, ASM, BLT, OKW, VWL, AKL - (9 trips)
    DL - 4 trips
    DCL - 2 cruises
    Aulani - 3 trips

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by denlo View Post
    Since you get a great deal on tickets coming from the UK, I expect the cost for your tickets to be less than a annual pass. For most of us at the 10 day mark, APs are usually cheaper if you prefer park hopper tickets.

I would be curious as to what your guide has said to scare you so much. I would talk to another guide just to clarify those scary things the original guide told you. Or ask here. To me if all you are interested in is a room for two weeks then I would purchase resale.

It sounds like an April use year would be best for those traveling dates. As you could cancel and bank points if need be.
    He said....and I quote "DO NOT BUY RESALE, these points are RESTRICTED points from use within much of the club, with no member ID card, no member benefits, no lounges, no discounts, no member events no parties....NOTHING

Post Thanks / Like

These are my thoughts really, if I can save money and still get two weeks a year in Disney I think that works for me. Not rushing the decision making process but keeping an open mind and shopping around.