Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DVCNews Debates: Using Small Point Balance

Post Thanks / Like

Default DVCNews Debates: Using Small Point Balance

One of the great things about Disney Vacation Club is that there are resorts and rooms to fit all budgets. A Studio room can be booked for as few as 9 points per night. Still, it isn’t always practical to travel hundreds of miles for a short trip. Imagine you have 25 points available which cannot be banked and no other points to borrow.

How would you get rid of 25 points before they expire?

View complete article
    This website is an unofficial publication regarding the Disney Vacation Club and is not affiliated in any way with Walt Disney World, The Walt Disney Company, the Disney Vacation Club, Disney Vacation Development, or any of their affiliates or subsidiaries. All Disney images The Walt Disney Company. All information presented on this site is subject to change. Information presented on this site may not be reproduced without permission.

Post Thanks / Like

We generally go for a minimum of 8 days but usually the 10-14 range so we are always using the majority of out points. If we are taking two trips within the use year we likely do studios. If only 1, then 1 BR or 2 BR to use up all our points. My personal motto is I'd rather buy 24 One time use points then let 1 of my own points expire. So when ever we plan our trips we maximize the use of the OTUP. Some trips we only need to buy a couple, some times we max out at 24 but we always buy enough extra to maximize the number of nights we can stay.
    WDW - POFQ, CS, ASM, BLT, OKW, VWL, AKL - (9 trips)
    DL - 4 trips
    DCL - 2 cruises
    Aulani - 3 trips

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mkeef View Post
    My personal motto is I'd rather buy 24 One time use points then let 1 of my own points expire.
    We have yet to be in the predicament of losing some points but if we were, I'd do the same as Mkeef and buy some One Time Use points to get an extra day or two.

Post Thanks / Like

Most of our trips are 4-6 nights in 1BRs, but we live in Florida, so we occasionally do a one night or weekend trip in a studio.

Post Thanks / Like

When I made my last trip, I would have noticed the leftover 25 points and added a night to my current reservation even if I had to do at the 7 month mark and purchase one time use points. But then we stay in studios and small point amounts are easily used.

If you didn't notice them, then you would need to rent them out or gift them. But then they might need one time use points to make the 25 points work.
    --Denise

Scheduled upcoming Disney trips:

11/27-12/14/18 AKV Kidani Village
    2/19-2/22/19 - Bay Lake Tower
    3/10-3/14/19 - AKV Jambo House

Post Thanks / Like

I was in this situation once and just luckily was able to add a night to an existing vacation under the 30 day mark in October . Not sure what I would've done - I guess I could've sold them to David's. Mostly I check my balance by the last week in our booking period and bank anything left.

Janet & Dan

Post Thanks / Like

I would give the points to someone who otherwise would not be able to afford the trip.

Post Thanks / Like

We had a similar situation, but fewer points. I think it was about 10-20 points. We just added a night to our upcoming trip and didn't lose them. Now we live closer and could take a shorter night trip. We could get three nights at OKW in a studio for 30 points, so use these points, but a few OTU points.

Post Thanks / Like

I just message one of my friends that lives an hour or 2 from Disney, 1at a time and ask them if theyd like a night or 2 on me, I always throw in dining plan on me if they are celebrating something

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Living just over 90 miles from Disneyland, I like to use extra points as an excuse to stay at the Grand Californian.
    While it's not always easy to get a ressie due to it's small size & popularity, I've still been lucky looking ahead 6-7 months and being open to whatever dates are available.
    I currently have 1 night in a one-bedroom coming up in a couple weeks, and 2 nights in a studio booked for January. Both justified by me because "I've gotta use these extra points".😊