Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: Okay, betting third time ISN'T the charm....

Post Thanks / Like

Default Okay, betting third time ISN'T the charm....

We recently sold one of our contracts at a resort we never stay at, and decided to instead, buy points as one of the two resorts we stay at most of the time but did not have any ownership in one of them. So since we already owned multiple memberships that were bought direct, resale seemed the way to go. So we researched and tried to buy an equal number of points (250) of the contract we sold. It went to Disney's ROFR and they grabbed them back. So we waited a couple weeks, found another contract for sale that seemed like a good deal (all points 230 banked from previous year so there would be double points for 2018 year) and again, signing paperwork, sending in the forms and off to Disney for ROFR again. Same thing, Disney scarfed up the points away from us.

We are currently looking and waiting for another equal contract up for resale but it is is basically the same approx. number of points for the same cost per point we are looking for, and I guess the definition of insane leaps to mind - doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

The contracts are, at various resale sites, priced similarly for the same resort across the board. So it isn't like one place had far lower price-per-point than elsewhere. Is there a big push for Disney to buy back everything? Or certain resorts? If it is certain resorts - why do they not just scoop them up when they go on sale - why wait for someone to try to buy them - I am sure every contract is eventually sold - and avoid pissing off its valued (at least I hope we are) customers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dan58diz View Post
    We recently sold one of our contracts at a resort we never stay at, and decided to instead, buy points as one of the two resorts we stay at most of the time but did not have any ownership in one of them. So since we already owned multiple memberships that were bought direct, resale seemed the way to go. So we researched and tried to buy an equal number of points (250) of the contract we sold. It went to Disney's ROFR and they grabbed them back. So we waited a couple weeks, found another contract for sale that seemed like a good deal (all points 230 banked from previous year so there would be double points for 2018 year) and again, signing paperwork, sending in the forms and off to Disney for ROFR again. Same thing, Disney scarfed up the points away from us.

We are currently looking and waiting for another equal contract up for resale but it is is basically the same approx. number of points for the same cost per point we are looking for, and I guess the definition of insane leaps to mind - doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

The contracts are, at various resale sites, priced similarly for the same resort across the board. So it isn't like one place had far lower price-per-point than elsewhere. Is there a big push for Disney to buy back everything? Or certain resorts? If it is certain resorts - why do they not just scoop them up when they go on sale - why wait for someone to try to buy them - I am sure every contract is eventually sold - and avoid pissing off its valued (at least I hope we are) customers.
    We’ve had contracts get ROFRed only to have better ones come along after and Disney passed on them. What Disney takes is tied to what people are waitlisting to buy direct from them and that changes daily. That being said if Disney has 5 people waitlisting BLT then they are going to take the 5 best contracts at the requested points levels. If you want a better chance of one not getting ROFRed consider buying a stripped contract. Disney is less likely to buy a contract that they can’t sell to someone right away because there are no points available for use for another year. You might have to suck it up not having the points for a year or so, but as long as the negotiated price per point reflects that you aren’t necessarily losing out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dan58diz View Post

Just curious: Did you agree to pay the asking price on each of the deeds, or did you offer a little bit less than what the seller originally wanted?

In the nine years that I have tracked sales and deeds reacquired by Disney I have never seen it purchase a deed outright on the resale market. Disney has entered into agreements with owners to buy back deeds, but only if the owners are in the early stages of the foreclosure process. Normally, Disney lets the seller enter into an agreement with a third party and then, and only then, does it decide if it wants to take over the terms of the deal.

I agree with graydogg51 that bidding on a stripped deed might increase your chances of winning the deed. However, getting a stripped deed means you might have to wait one or two years before you can actually use those points. Sure, you have the deed, but you can't use the points for a year or two. What fun is that?

I assume you have researched the resale prices for the resorts that interest you and that the resale brokers have given you guidelines as to what prices are being ROFRed and what prices are above Disney's threshold. There are a number of internet articles tracking current ROFR prices, including this one: https://dvcinfo.com/forum/threads/dv...ear-high.9005/

What you may need to do is increase your offer by a few dollars per point so that you are above Disney's current ROFR threshold. Unfortunately, Disney's ROFR threshold is not a static amount; it seems to fluctuate so that its difficult to know what Disney will pay for any given deed.

I don't have any inside information on how Disney operates its ROFR desk so anything I say should be taken with a grain of salt. Personally, I believe price is the overriding factor when it comes to deciding whether to ROFR a deed. Disney could have a dozen people wanting to buy a December Use Year Beach Club deed and no one wanting a March Use Year, but if the best resale deals are for March UY deeds, then that is what Disney will ROFR.

The thing to keep in mind is that sooner or later Disney will sell every point that it ROFRs. And what doesn't get sold quickly can always be used to fund cash reservations.

Much is made of the fact that Disney seems to ROFR one deed today and then tomorrow it passes on an identical deed for a lower price. I can't explain why that happens, other than to think that the cast members manning Disney's ROFR desk might have a limited budget at their disposal. If they spend their allotted budget to ROFR 20 deeds today, then they can't ROFR another deed -- no matter how enticing -- until its ROFR budget is replenished. Even though the Walt Disney Company is a multi billion dollar business, it doesn't mean that Disney Vacation Development has been given unlimited funds to operate its ROFR desk.

4. Likes micelike liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Disney definitely likes those cheaper contracts that are fully loaded with 3 years of points but they have to ROFR them. Just like us Disney likes a bargain. Maybe if you offer the asking price or even a few dollars more per point then Disney won't ROFR it.
    --Denise

Scheduled upcoming Disney trips:

11/27-12/14/18 AKV Kidani Village
    2/19-2/22/19 - Bay Lake Tower
    3/10-3/14/19 - AKV Jambo House

Post Thanks / Like

Default I have...

Quote Originally Posted by denlo View Post
    Disney definitely likes those cheaper contracts that are fully loaded with 3 years of points but they have to ROFR them. Just like us Disney likes a bargain. Maybe if you offer the asking price or even a few dollars more per point then Disney won't ROFR it.
    we offered the listed asking price each time....saturday morning we bid on a third lot and got sent the forms, filled them out again, scanned them in, took care of $$$ and it is back to Disney for another ROFR. again, offered the asking price...same resort.....all three are within $1pp of each other. we are not overly hopeful...but maybe disney will eventually take pity on us and let us buy one. time will tell......

Post Thanks / Like

It looks like that is the price DVC is will to pay for the resort you want. Maybe you need to look for one that is a few dollars higher.
    --Denise

Post Thanks / Like

Woo hoo!!! ended up the 4th time is the charm and we ended up buying BCV instead of OKW. Three times we struck out with OKW, so we turned in another direction. We couldn't believe we didn't get one of the OKW lots, but hey...we had to end up buying a few less points for quite a bit more per point, but in so doing, Disney finally took pity on us and let it go thru. Be glad when closing is done and they finally show up online. Places to go, characters to see!

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations dan58diz! Hopefully it will all workout for your vacations.
    --Denise

Post Thanks / Like

Even though we purchased resale, from the closing date to when I was able to actually go online and book a trip, was shortest ever for us - 9 days.
    I think the last time we bought resale it took 4 weeks.
    This was important as the time we wanted to book was not too far away as we just found out friends had booked in January and want us to join.
    And the room choices we wanted to book we were dwindling down...we did get our 3rd choice. So whew!

11. Likes denlo, bakerworld liked this post