Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: DVCNews Debates: Moonlight Magic Attendance

Post Thanks / Like

Default DVCNews Debates: Moonlight Magic Attendance

There has been some frustration over the speed with which certain Moonlight Magic theme park events have filled, often within 1-2 hours of reservations opening. The growth of DVC means there could be more than 30,000 members at WDW on any given night. Theme parks with only 3 or 4 headliner attractions don't have the capacity to accommodate that volume of riders during a 3 hour event. Capping attenance leads to frustration from those who are shut out, but expanding the limit could result in longer wait times than normal operating days.

Should DVC continue to limit attendance for these events or expand, regardless of the overall impact to attendees?

View complete article
    This website is an unofficial publication regarding the Disney Vacation Club and is not affiliated in any way with Walt Disney World, The Walt Disney Company, the Disney Vacation Club, Disney Vacation Development, or any of their affiliates or subsidiaries. All Disney images © The Walt Disney Company. All information presented on this site is subject to change. Information presented on this site may not be reproduced without permission.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I still agree with the policy to limit attendance at these events.

If some people aren't able to get in then perhaps Disney can set some other limits, such a reducing the number of visitors a member can bring or limiting such that members can only bring guests who are staying with a member who is also staying at a resort that evening.

It's only an example and I'm not saying this is resulting in a large number of people, but I see that many of the local Orlando Vloggers seem to always be invited by a DVC member to come to these events. This makes me wonder how many non-member guests are locals who are invited by members.

I'm not sure I would want this, but starting with guest limits would be, to me, a place to consider if there are problems.

Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes I think that the priority should be for those members that have booked rooms. But I think the real purpose of the events isn't a thank you to members but an incentive for non members to buy direct. So by bringing in locals with guests, even writers that blog about the experience might attract more new members. And when you think about it, at the most in each DVC villa only two people are the actual member, their families aren't members, just guests. Since we know only those whose names are on the deed and are issued Blue DVC cards are members. I am not sure what DVC is calling owners with white DVC cards.

So in reality DVC may not care if all members get a shot at these special events, the point is to bring in more sales and since Disney Vacation Club Development is paying for the events, so it is not like our dues are paying for all members to attend.

As to expanding the numbers of who can attend, no I don't think DVC should do that. But perhaps they should consider limited attended to members staying on property.
    Last edited by denlo; 06-18-2018 at 10:00 AM.
    --Denise

Scheduled upcoming Disney trips:

11/27-12/14/18 AKV Kidani Village
    2/19-2/22/19 - Bay Lake Tower
    3/10-3/14/19 - AKV Jambo House

Post Thanks / Like

The speed in which it fills up doesn't bother me that much. It's frustrating for sure but its a popular event with limited capacity so not much you can do there.
    I think the biggest change should be limiting tickets to those on a reservation. There is no reason to give 2 people in a studio 5 tickets when it means other members are being shut out. I'd be fine with it if after they opened it to DVC owners staying on site, then DVC owners staying offsite, then they can open it up to DVC members to get extra tickets if any were left over.
    If it is that popular then maybe they would need to limit the registration to 1 event per year instead of 1 per park.
    The program has evolved and changes have been made to accommodate more so hopefully they continue to tweak to try and include as many members as possible.
    [SIZE=2]WDW - 1990/DL - 1995/DL - 1996/WDW - 1998/WDW - DEC2008 (POFQ)/WDW - 2010 (POFQ - Proposed 1/31/2010)/WDW and DCL- MAR2011 (CS/Pop and Eastern Carribean on the Magic - Honeymoon)/DL - OCT2011 (Paradise Pier)/Aulani - JAN 2012/DL -OCT2012/WDW -JAN2013(BLT)/WDW - SEP2013(OKW)/DL - DEC2014/WDW and DCL- Sep2015(BLT/VWL, and Western Caribbean on the Fantasy/May 2016(AKV-Kidani)/Jan2017 (Aulani)/Jan2018 (Aulani)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: DVCNews Debates: Moonlight Magic Attendance

Since these are obviously very popular events it will be impossible for DVC to make everyone happy but I don't think they should increase the number of tickets given out. Having smaller crowds makes it truly feel like a special event. I do wish that they'd limit the number of tickets that Members can get. In my opinion, Members staying on points should be able to get the same number of tickets as the number of people on their reservation. If they have multiple reservations than they get the number of people on all of their reservations (i.e. they have two rooms booked, on points, with 6 people staying in those two rooms than they get six tickets).

As a local I am glad that they still open it to DVC members not staying on points because I can guarantee you that we use all of our points each year and by not having to make a room reservation for a Member Magic event I can then use my points for a different night/weekend (usually youth sports related) and spend even more moola at Disney. For local Members, not staying on points, perhaps limit it to the number of people in their household and proof has to be shown by showing an ID for adults and all must have the same address as the Member. For minors it would have to be the honor code (my kids have military dependent IDs but it does not show our address).

There is no 'right' answer but I do hope that they continue these events even though we've only been lucky enough to attend one (hopefully more).

Post Thanks / Like

Just cut out these "events" altogether and make it possible for us to just have a night a week for EMH for DVC members only. I wish every member would just call and ask for that instead and see how much they really "value our feedback". I will say though at the AK a year or so ago it really didn't seem crowded at all and we literally rode Everest over and over time after time.

Post Thanks / Like

My husband and I were lucky enough to get "tickets" for Moonlight Magic at AK in May. It was really nice to be at the park with "so few" people. I was under the impression that DVC members who got tickets had to already have a reservation at a DVC Resort. It would seem fair to give tickets for all guests staying in the room reservation with the Member. If DVC members who are local want to attend, then only members of the immediate family should be able to go. Despite the small crowd at the event, we were not able to ride Pandora Flight of Passage, which was a huge disappointment (and, frankly, quite a shock), so admitting even more members to the event would make that even worse. Moonlight Magic needs to be offered more nights. When I signed up for the event, there were 3 dates available, one per month. It seems to me that offering the tickets via a first come/first served response to email is fair. It's similar to buying concert tickets; if you don't respond immediately, you may lose out.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: DVCNews Debates: Moonlight Magic Attendance

As the writer hinted to, with only so many rides, letting more members in would just take any enjoyment out of it. I like the idea of limiting the amount of tickets a member can get. But how about allowing each member only 1 event per year. I've read many times that many members didn't book a room until they knew they had tickets to the event. Some had rooms and then cancelled after being shut out.