Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: DVCNews Debates: Wait for Riviera?

Post Thanks / Like

Default DVCNews Debates: Wait for Riviera?

A decade ago, Disney Vacation Club refused to acknowledge Bay Lake Tower at Disney’s Contemporary Resort, despite the fact that it was widely known to be the next timeshare destination. At the time, DVC feared that buyers would hold off purchasing current resorts, opting to wait for points at Bay Lake Tower. More recently, DVC has at least acknowledged new destinations while withholding important details like price and point structure until much closer to opening. This policy continues with Disney’s Rivera Resort, a property announced more than 2 years before its opening.

Do early details regarding Disney’s Riviera Resort make you want to hold off buying DVC points elsewhere?

View complete article
    This website is an unofficial publication regarding the Disney Vacation Club and is not affiliated in any way with Walt Disney World, The Walt Disney Company, the Disney Vacation Club, Disney Vacation Development, or any of their affiliates or subsidiaries. All Disney images The Walt Disney Company. All information presented on this site is subject to change. Information presented on this site may not be reproduced without permission.

Post Thanks / Like

From the details I have seen so far, I won't be waiting. Have at least a few other properties I would purchase before it. Also does not seem to be a theme I would like.

Post Thanks / Like

If we were looking to add on right now, I probably would hold off, mostly because we already own some at CCV. I'm not sure how much I'm really interested in owning any more at resorts where a ton of points are tied up in uber-expensive bungalows/cabins (thereby constraining availability on the reasonably priced rooms). So we'd be a hard sell on the currently for sale DVC properties anyway.

Thing is, there's so little info out there about Riviera as it is (all we know is it's DVC, where it is, the rough size of the place, and it's going to be on the gondola system). We don't know the exact mix of rooms, we don't know what they'll look like, we don't know room capacities/sizes, we don't know other resort amenities or decor. Maybe it's going to have an amazing pool, maybe it's just going to have a pit full of spikes. They haven't said (although I doubt the spikes, personally). If someone is waiting on Riviera, I think it's more likely because they just aren't interested in Aulani or CCV than because of any specific details about the resort itself.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PhilUp View Post
    If someone is waiting on Riviera, I think it's more likely because they just aren't interested in Aulani or CCV than because of any specific details about the resort itself.
    Or they don't understand that they can purchase other resorts than the ones currently being marketed.

Post Thanks / Like

There isn't a lot of resale resorts I would be interested in right at the current prices. There are times I wish we owned more CCV points, but we paid more than we like for them already. And then there is a part of me that wonders what the Riveria will be like. It is a great location. I never cared for the Epcot location, it is just not the park for me and resorts there are not for me. I suspect I would like BCV, but I don't like the crowded restaurants and the noise on the Boardwalk, and no real views. But a part of me has always loved DHS and now with the addition of Stars Land, it makes the Riveria more attractive. Although based on recent surveys it appears that they are planning to market some smaller tower studios to couples--whatever that means. I am not sure I want to buy somewhere where there is a very limited category that is in great demand for a room size I like, it always seems to cost me more points.

The cost of buying new is just so prohibitive. At our age of over 65, I just cannot justify buying something for us to use just for the next 10-15 years, if we are lucky.
    --Denise

Scheduled upcoming Disney trips:

11/27-12/14/18 AKV Kidani Village
    2/19-2/22/19 - Bay Lake Tower
    3/10-3/14/19 - AKV Jambo House

6. Likes CarolynFH liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Frankly after not purchasing any Poly points, I sincerely doubt were in the market for anything.

Janet & Dan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JWhiz View Post
    Or they don't understand that they can purchase other resorts than the ones currently being marketed.
    Well, there's resale, which is the standard resale/direct argument- no point in rehashing it here. Then there's the direct stuff. I didn't bring it up to avoid muddying the waters, but then you also have to start factoring in thinks like resort end dates. With the different pricing involved with those sold-out resorts there's also a matter of someone REALLY wanting that exact specific resort- for GFV, BLT, and PVB (just to stay in the Orlando area), the prices are HIGHER than the current per-point price at CCV and likely to remain higher than whatever is currently being sold. Nobody's going to buy into those unless they're just in love with those resorts, so no point in Riviera even entering into the discussion.

And it's not that far different for the others- even if you're dealing with lower prices, someone is picking those for specific reasons. Either they're expanding a holding at that resort or just wanting home resort priority at that specific spot. And if they really want that resort, I don't know that they'd hold off just for Riviera.

Post Thanks / Like

Unless the concept art does not do justice to the actual design, to me, the exterior looks like a Holiday Inn Express or Hampton Inn. I want theming that extends the park experience to the resort experience. This resort seems too neutral/vanilla.

Post Thanks / Like

Back in 2007, when Disney started construction of Bay Lake Tower, it was actively selling points for Animal Kingdom Villas and Saratoga Springs. Perhaps Disney was afraid that acknowledging that BLT was going to be another DVC resort would cause sales of AKV and SSR to drop significantly because buyers would hold off in favor of the first monorail resort.

Well, I think Disney has learned that having another DVC resorts waiting in the wings doesn't harm current sales. The Villas at Grand Floridian finished its sales before sales really started to heat up for the Polynesian Villas & Bungalows, and Disney finished up sales for the Polynesian even though Copper Creek had started its sales.

I suspect Disney knows it will have no difficulty closing out sales for Copper Creek even though the Riviera will be available for sales. And the Riviera will sell out despite the fact that the next DVC resort (River Country?) is already in the works.