Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DVCNews Debates: Perks for all?

Post Thanks / Like

Default DVCNews Debates: Perks for all?

In 2016, Disney Vacation Club implemented a new policy which excluded future resale buyers from benefitting from many member perks unless they own points purchased direct from DVC. The policy clearly serves as an incentive to buy direct from DVC rather than cheaper resale points. Though there are some benefits to the so-called "qualified" owners in that they have an increased chance of landing a spot in certain activities which may have limited attendance.

Do you like DVC's policy of limiting the perks, or should they just allow all owners to participate equally?

View complete article
    This website is an unofficial publication regarding the Disney Vacation Club and is not affiliated in any way with Walt Disney World, The Walt Disney Company, the Disney Vacation Club, Disney Vacation Development, or any of their affiliates or subsidiaries. All Disney images © The Walt Disney Company. All information presented on this site is subject to change. Information presented on this site may not be reproduced without permission.

Post Thanks / Like

IMHO, I am in favor of the perks being limited to the direct purchaser and am in favor of more restrictions. Just like warranties, somethings are used as an incentive to purchase from the source. Not allowing perks to transfer is not a slight to a resale customer, nothing is taken away from them, they never had them in the first place. So far I have only bought direct (4 contracts) and I don't doubt that will ever change. I like what I receive as a direct buyer, which is more than the perks that are subject to change, but since I am paying more I should receive more.

Post Thanks / Like

Buying direct just gives you the eligibility for perks, it does not guarantee perks.
    --Denise

Scheduled upcoming Disney trips:

11/27-12/14/18 AKV Kidani Village
    2/19-2/22/19 - Bay Lake Tower
    3/10-3/14/19 - AKV Jambo House

Post Thanks / Like

Every time the topic of perks comes up there’s always owners who feel they are being classified as ‘second class citizens”and feel slighted and complain because they are on the outside looking in when it comes to being ‘treated equally’ yet these are probably the same owners that balk at the idea of buying direct because of the cost difference And encourage everyone they can to buy resale as the perks ‘aren’t worth it’; yet complain when they don’t get them.

I also find it humurous when some complain that everyone should be treated equally because of how much they’ve spent but want to be treated better than the recurring Disney fanatic who isn’t an owner. We have family members who spend a month in Disney every year with the whole time at moderate or deluxes. They’ve done this 4 years straight but have visited for at least a week for the past 20+ years. Does the 25pt owner who spends a couple nights every three years deserve ‘better’ treatment just because they are DVC owners. The topic of equality is always an interesting one because some people only want equality when they are arguing for better treatment for themselves.

im fine with the limitations on non owners. Perk value will always be subjective but I remember TimK making a post a while back about all the added perks since the restrictions came in and I was in complete agreement. Hopefully they continue to improve but if not I know what I signed for.
    WDW - POFQ, CS, ASM, BLT, OKW, VWL, AKL - (9 trips)
    DL - 4 trips
    DCL - 2 cruises
    Aulani - 3 trips

5. Likes TRACIETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think all DVC owners should be treated equally regarding the perks. But DVD/DVC has decided many of the perks are strictly for direct sales. DVD/DVC are basically making them a marketing tool to get people to buy direct. My family owns 8 contracts and only two are resale contracts. We were grandfathered in for our two resale contracts for the March 2010 changes. Many of the direct contracts we purchased for new resorts so resale really wasn't available or the price difference wasn't worth going resale. But if they had been we would have purchased resale. We mainly use the discounts for purchases, dining, tours and the AP discounts. The Moonlight Madness parties sound great but I really have problems staying up that late, so I doubt we will ever really make it to one.
    Last edited by denlo; 06-04-2018 at 04:51 PM. Reason: use of perks.
    --Denise

Post Thanks / Like

My problem is when they title it "Members Only", like the cruise. I wrote my thoughts down several years ago and submitted them to DVC Satisfaction Team when they first excluded resale purchasers from this cruise. DH and I only own points purchased direct. I can understand giving discounts to direct owners and maybe limiting those to resale purchasers. But when you label something " Members Only" and then exclude certain members it is just not in good form. Again JMHO.

Disney did respond to my letter, I believe via voicemail on my phone and said they appreciated my comments and that I took the time to let them know how I felt....so there was that....

If DH and purchase more points in the future it will have to be resale, because 9 years later they have priced us out of direct. I feel the current prices are crazy and I love DVC.
    He loves me for my points

Post Thanks / Like

I see it as Disney protecting their brand similar to ROFR. And sometimes the only way to get the new car smell is to well... buy a new car. Sorry to many years in the car business. I think for what is saved on the resale market there isnt much to complain about.

Post Thanks / Like

IMO the limits are strictly a marketing gimmick. Truthfully, the most $$ DVD/DVC makes from us is the purchase of the product because we've never been much for souvenirs. Every time I flip open my wallet for the discounts and they see the AP and the DVC they tell me the discount is the same. Like Denise, we tried a Member Magic event and it was like an endurance test because I really can't stay up that late any more.

That Said, it irritates me that people save big $$$ on resale and then want all the gimmicks too - they've already saved $$$$ so they don't need the $2 off the $20 shirt.

Janet & Dan

Post Thanks / Like

It is what it is... perks are designed to convince potential purchasers that buying direct provides them with something of value unavailable to resale buyers. In that respect I can't fault DVC for that, especially since it seems to be working. I do suspect that if DVC ever gets to the maximum saturation point and it's not feasible to build any more, they will revert to making all members equal... that is we will all be uniformly perk-less.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bakerworld View Post
    . . .

That Said, it irritates me that people save big $$$ on resale and then want all the gimmicks too - they've already saved $$$$ so they don't need the $2 off the $20 shirt.
    I agree they are paying a lot less and are getting, in many cases, half the number of years on their contracts that new buyers will get. Shouldn't they pay a lot less for that contract? To me being a DVC member is owning a contract. Instead DVC is turning owners into associates with no privileges.
    --Denise