Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Star Wars Village Name, Opening Timeframe Revealed

Post Thanks / Like

Default Star Wars Village Name, Opening Timeframe Revealed

This weekend brought some new information regarding Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge at both Disneyland and Walt Disney World Resort.

Black Spire Outpost Concept

View complete article
    This website is an unofficial publication regarding the Disney Vacation Club and is not affiliated in any way with Walt Disney World, The Walt Disney Company, the Disney Vacation Club, Disney Vacation Development, or any of their affiliates or subsidiaries. All Disney images © The Walt Disney Company. All information presented on this site is subject to change. Information presented on this site may not be reproduced without permission.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't think of any expansion at Walt Disney World that has been more eagerly anticipated than the debut of Star Wars Land. I'm sure Toy Story Land will be a hit, and we all know from the 2-4 hour wait times for Flight of Passage that Pandora is a big hit. But there are a lot of non-Disney type people that are talking about checking out Star Wars Land once it opens.

I'm sure Disney management expects that Star Wars Land will do for Hollywood Studios what Radiator Springs did for California Adventure. If I remember correctly, California Adventure's attendance increased significantly after Radiator Springs opened. And, if I'm not wrong, Disney significantly hiked the price of both the day tickets and the annual passes for the Disneyland Resort.

Post Thanks / Like

Remember, though, that Cars Land was only part of the transformation of DCA. It was (and is) spectacular, but equally important was the reimagining of the entrance into Buena Vista Street, the retheming of the water-facing areas (which is now being dismantled) to a Victorian look, and the conversion of Condor Flats into Grizzly Peak Airfield.

All I'm saying is that DHS needs more than just Star Wars Land to become an amazing park. And I'm not talking about a lackluster Toy Story Land. Star Wars Land will undoubtedly bring in crowds, especially at first, but it will not result in the kind of transformed overall resort experience that the complete overhaul of DCA did.

Post Thanks / Like

Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (SW:GE) will only be adding a couple of rides plus a some food venues. But that is all that Pandora added to Disney's Animal Kingdom. Like Pandora, Black Spire Outpost (BSO) will have spectacular theming. Not having seen Toy Story Land I cannot judge it, but I expect it will be a family with young children area and the only reason I will go there is to do Toy Story Mania (TSM) although the Alien Spin looks tempting as I still enjoy the tea cups. I expect the atmosphere at Toy Story Land to be fabulous.

The Star Wars parades were very popular and they brought in large crowds so I expect that Black Spire Outpost will be big as well. I understand Disney has more changes in store for Disney's Hollywood Studios (DHS) as rumors indicate Indiana Jones will become a Star Wars related venue and the theater where Be Our Guest is performed will be updated with a Broadway production. Just having the park updated with two E-ticket rides and 2 B-ticket rides is a nice addition.
    --Denise

Scheduled upcoming Disney trips:

11/27-12/14/18 AKV Kidani Village
    2/19-2/22/19 - Bay Lake Tower
    3/10-3/14/19 - AKV Jambo House

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by denlo View Post
    Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (SW:GE) will only be adding a couple of rides plus a some food venues. But that is all that Pandora added to Disney's Animal Kingdom. Like Pandora, Black Spire Outpost (BSO) will have spectacular theming. Not having seen Toy Story Land I cannot judge it, but I expect it will be a family with young children area and the only reason I will go there is to do Toy Story Mania (TSM) although the Alien Spin looks tempting as I still enjoy the tea cups. I expect the atmosphere at Toy Story Land to be fabulous.

The Star Wars parades were very popular and they brought in large crowds so I expect that Black Spire Outpost will be big as well. I understand Disney has more changes in store for Disney's Hollywood Studios (DHS) as rumors indicate Indiana Jones will become a Star Wars related venue and the theater where Be Our Guest is performed will be updated with a Broadway production. Just having the park updated with two E-ticket rides and 2 B-ticket rides is a nice addition.
    I've wondered if Disney won't reinstate Star Wars Weekends as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DuckTalesWooHoo View Post
    I've wondered if Disney won't reinstate Star Wars Weekends as well.
    I doubt Disney will reinstate Star Wars Weekends. Heck, once Star Wars Land debuts, there will be so much Star Wars related events going on that it might feel like every day is a Star Wars Weekend sort of day.

I wonder what will happen to the Star Wars Launch Bay and the Star Wars stage once Star Wars Land opens. The Launch Bay is too far removed from the rest of Star Wars Land, so I suspect Disney will repurpose that space to fit more with the other attractions (Journey of the Little Mermaid and Disney Jr Playhouse) near it. As for the center stage in front of the Chinese Theater, I think it, too, will be removed. Or at least repurposed to showcase something other than Star Wars.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    All I'm saying is that DHS needs more than just Star Wars Land to become an amazing park. And I'm not talking about a lackluster Toy Story Land. Star Wars Land will undoubtedly bring in crowds, especially at first, but it will not result in the kind of transformed overall resort experience that the complete overhaul of DCA did.
    I guess it depends on your barometer for "amazing park." Ride-for-ride, DCA has more attractions than DHS--more than any WDW park except for Magic Kingdom. I don't think that will ever change. Aesthetically you could argue that DCA is more appealing. Its current state is certainly an improvement over the original look.

But DHS already out-draws DCA in terms of attendance. Toy Story Land, Galaxy's Edge and Runaway Railway (Great Movie Ride replacement) will only drive those numbers higher.

The attraction losses at Hollywood Studios amount to GMR, Backlot Tour, Lights Motors Action, Streets of America and the Animation Academy. 18 months from now the additions will be Runaway Railway, Alien Swirling Saucers, Slinky Dog Coaster and 2 new Star Wars attractions. That's a pretty dramatic improvement, IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TimK View Post
    But DHS already out-draws DCA in terms of attendance...
    Considering Disney only counts the first turnstile click, I'm not certain DHS out performs DCA. WDW lends itself to more One Park a Day partially because all the parks are physically separated and require a mod of transportation - or a long walk - vs DL and DCA being across from each other. I can imagine a lot of people hit DL early for one or two rides and then spend the rest of the day in DCA.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KNWVIKING 2.0 View Post
    I can imagine a lot of people hit DL early for one or two rides and then spend the rest of the day in DCA.
    There are guests just as apt to do it the other way: get a FastPass for Radiator Springs Racers and then kill time in DL until ride time arrives. Not to mention the Grand Californian guests who have the private entrance to DCA. On many occasions, we would enter thru the side gate to DCA, walk out the front of the park and cross over to DL without riding a single attractions.

Post Thanks / Like

In "Solo: A Star Wars Story", Lando Calrissian makes a reference to Black Spire Outpost. I did not catch it when I watched the movie. However, thanks to one of the Star Wars super fans who has a You Tube channel on all-things-Star Wars, there is a You Tube video showing all the Star Wars easter eggs embedded in "Solo."

By the way, I really liked "Solo." I thought it was one of the better Star Wars movies.