Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Disney charges higher interst rates for Resale members

Post Thanks / Like

Default Disney charges higher interst rates for Resale members

Forgive me if this is common knowledge, but I figured that I would share my experience from yesterday with everyone. Last July I became a DVC member by purchasing two separate contracts on the resale market. 150 points at Boardwalk and 70 points at Poly, both with a June use year. Yesterday I called member services to purchase 80 points directly for Copper Creek. After being redirected to a sales associate and going over some basic info, the contract started to take shape. I was putting 20% down and financing the other 80% at $182 per point. After a quick credit check, I was given a quote of 8.5% interest rate. Things were going smoothly until the sales associate tried to submit the contract. He apologized and placed me on hold so he could contact a supervisor. It turns out that because I purchased my contracts from resale and not Disney their credit department doesn't consider me as a member in good standing. Therefore I don't qualify for the 8.5% interest rate but rather a 14.5% rate instead. On a plus note, because I have a June expiration date and am well past the banking date for points. They moved my newly purchased 2017 points to 2018.
    Cheers - Rob

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the post, I haven't heard about a 6 point higher interest rate for resale buyers trying to purchase a small contract direct. I really don't understand it as you buying direct perhaps the difference is that you are being treated as a first buyer versus as a DVC member adding on. IMO that is ridiculous that DVC is going that route as I still feel that all members should be treated equally.
    --Denise

Scheduled upcoming Disney trips:

11/27-12/14/18 AKV Kidani Village
    2/19-2/22/19 - Bay Lake Tower
    3/10-3/14/19 - AKV Jambo House

Post Thanks / Like

I agree, IMO that is ridiculous. If you're buying this package direct why treat you any different? UGH. They are still profiting off the direct sale.
    I think I would have financed through one of the resale finance companies; I know at least one does direct dvc financing too and they don't punish you for buying direct. a loan is a loan, right? Good luck

Post Thanks / Like

IMO, refinance the loan.

Janet & Dan

Post Thanks / Like

We just bought direct but with a small contract. My guide said that we must be members in good standing for 1 year in order to get the special financing rate to add on which would be a lower interest rate plus no credit check.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by patclairesmom View Post
    We just bought direct but with a small contract. My guide said that we must be members in good standing for 1 year in order to get the special financing rate to add on which would be a lower interest rate plus no credit check.
    Welcome Home and to the DVC News! There is a different interest rate for members, but I didn't realize that it was restricted to new members for a year.
    --Denise

Scheduled upcoming Disney trips:

11/27-12/14/18 AKV Kidani Village
    2/19-2/22/19 - Bay Lake Tower
    3/10-3/14/19 - AKV Jambo House

Post Thanks / Like

That's interesting and good to know. So you have not been a member for a full year then and they offered that as an explanation as to why you would not get a lower interest rate? And what interest rate were they offering you?