Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Direct Sales Slow in April 2018

Post Thanks / Like

Default Direct Sales Slow in April 2018

After three consecutive months of increased activity, April direct sales of Disney Vacation Club points came in 30% lower than the first quarter average.

Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa

View complete article
    This website is an unofficial publication regarding the Disney Vacation Club and is not affiliated in any way with Walt Disney World, The Walt Disney Company, the Disney Vacation Club, Disney Vacation Development, or any of their affiliates or subsidiaries. All Disney images © The Walt Disney Company. All information presented on this site is subject to change. Information presented on this site may not be reproduced without permission.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Wil. I always look forward to reading your sales reports. Do you happen to know how/why Disney occasionally buys back contracts as you mentioned they did this month for CCV?

I can’t believe anyone is buying virtually any of the “sold out” resorts given the prices DVC is now charging. We own at BCV, BLT, VGF and PVB and all but our first contract was purchased direct (and that only was resale because we were erroneously told we couldn’t buy a contact of less than 160 points) and there’s no way I’d pay the prices they are asking for the older resorts.
    Last edited by cbnsoul; 05-08-2018 at 07:46 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cbnsoul View Post
    Thanks Wil. I always look forward to reading your sales reports. Do you happen to know how/why Disney occasionally buys back contracts as you mentioned they did this month for CCV?

I can’t believe anyone is buying virtually any of the “sold out” resorts given the prices DVC is now charging. We own at BCV, BLT, VGF and PVB and all but our first contract was purchased direct (and that only was resale because we were erroneously told we couldn’t buy a contact of less than 160 points) and there’s no way I’d pay the prices they are asking for the older resorts.
    There is no way to know why Disney agreed to buy back that deed. One common reason is that a buyer has a 10-day grace period to back out of a timeshare purchase and sometimes their request to back out is lost and/or not processed timely. In those cases Disney honors the request but has to buy back the deed because it has already gone through closing. I have also seen some buybacks where the buyer changed the size of the deed, the Use Year, or how the deed was titled.

I can think of several reasons to buy points direct from Disney for the sold out resorts: it’s not always easy to find a deed on the resale market that has exactly the number of points and Use Year that you want; many resale deeds are partially or filling stripped, while direct deeds always come with a full complement of current year points; Disney always lets you bank points if you are past the banking deadline, while you don’t always get that option when you buy a resale deed; Disney always prorates the current year’s maintenance fees, while some resellers want to buyer to pay the full amount if the annual dues; and then there is the added advantage with direct deeds that if you buy from Disney today you can use those points tomorrow, while with a resale transaction you might have to wait 60 days or more before they show up in your account. Or maybe you might lose the deed because Disney decides to step in and ROFR the deed.

Post Thanks / Like

This shows that contracts were sold to the Grand Californian last month. Every time I inquire about buying a Grand Californian contract I’m told that none are available! WHY ???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dabio View Post
    This shows that contracts were sold to the Grand Californian last month. Every time I inquire about buying a Grand Californian contract I’m told that none are available! WHY ???
    It may appear to be a contradiction, but I think Disney has so many people wanting to buy Grand Californian points but so few Grand Californian points that it can sell to the general public. Each month it reacquires enough points to sell a few deeds, but it doesn't reacquire nearly enough points to satisfy people already on the VGC waitlist. Even if Disney did add more people to its VGC waitlist, it might take years before enough points become available.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it gets even more complicated when members wants a specific Use Year because the UYs never change just because DVC ROFRs a contract that someone is selling. Just because 300 points becomes available doesn't mean it will be in the UY you want.
    --Denise

Scheduled upcoming Disney trips:

11/27-12/14/18 AKV Kidani Village
    2/19-2/22/19 - Bay Lake Tower
    3/10-3/14/19 - AKV Jambo House