Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DVCNews Debates: DME Luggage Handling

Post Thanks / Like

Default DVCNews Debates: DME Luggage Handling

Disney's Magical Express is a great way get from Orlando International Airport to a Walt Disney World resort. Not only does it provide a little of the 'Disney Magic' immediately after arrival but it's also free! DME riders can either claim their luggage at the airport or have it transferred immediately to the resort. The only drawback to the automatic transfer is that bags may not arrive until sometime later in the evening.

When using DME, do you typically claim your own luggage or allow Disney to transport?

View complete article
    This website is an unofficial publication regarding the Disney Vacation Club and is not affiliated in any way with Walt Disney World, The Walt Disney Company, the Disney Vacation Club, Disney Vacation Development, or any of their affiliates or subsidiaries. All Disney images © The Walt Disney Company. All information presented on this site is subject to change. Information presented on this site may not be reproduced without permission.

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't done DME in years, but when I did, I never touched the luggage.

On a side note, my son and family flew into MCO but rented a car vs use DME. However, on their check out day my son was able to get his boarding passes AND check his luggage at the resort. They handled everything, just as if he'd be hopping on the DME bus later that day.

Post Thanks / Like

we've done DME for every trip but only every used the luggage transport on the last one. For some reason I told myself that the fact we were coming international made a difference on where the luggage went and whether they would be able to locate it. I realized that made no sense and opted to try it out.

Only issue we ran into was that our luggage was transported separately to AK so the first set was delivered to our room minus mine. A quick call to bell services and they found my luggage in the back and brought it up.

I really wish we could use it on the way back to MCO but that apparently does make a difference for international flights.
    [SIZE=2]WDW - 1990/DL - 1995/DL - 1996/WDW - 1998/WDW - DEC2008 (POFQ)/WDW - 2010 (POFQ - Proposed 1/31/2010)/WDW and DCL- MAR2011 (CS/Pop and Eastern Carribean on the Magic - Honeymoon)/DL - OCT2011 (Paradise Pier)/Aulani - JAN 2012/DL -OCT2012/WDW -JAN2013(BLT)/WDW - SEP2013(OKW)/DL - DEC2014/WDW and DCL- Sep2015(BLT/VWL, and Western Caribbean on the Fantasy/May 2016(AKV-Kidani)/Jan2017 (Aulani)/Jan2018 (Aulani)

Post Thanks / Like

When our daughter moved to FL for a couple of trips we packed luggage with her belongings and we did our carry-on as usual. DME delivered the luggage to the room. She'd spend the weekend with us and take the luggage home with her. In December she returned home with the empty luggage and we repacked to let DME do their thing for our next trip. This worked really well.

Most of the time we fly and use carry-on luggage. One time we were going to use the DME luggage delivery I tossed the tags out of habit so we waited for our Luggage. Whenever we've used the service it worked well. My son did have a circumstance where the luggage wasn't delivered until very late and the were stuck because they didn't pack any carry-on.
    Last edited by bakerworld; 05-07-2018 at 09:34 AM.

Janet & Dan

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: DVCNews Debates: DME Luggage Handling

We have used DME and luggage services for every trip in the past 8 years, or 15 times now. Only 1-2 times, that the 3 hour window was bringing us up to midnight and we wanted to get to bed. No problems to report.
    It's rock star level details that make you go immediately into vacation mode. Now that you get a text with your room number linked to your magic band....it's far too easy to start vacations

Post Thanks / Like

We use DME for each Disney visit and have always used the luggage tags. We’ve never had any issues. The bags have always been delivered to our room within 3 hours of arrival. Checking in the bags for the return trip home has always worked well, too.
    ~Linda

Next scheduled trips
    Aug. 11-18 (Aulani)
    Sept. 28-Oct. 3 (Aulani)
    Oct. 3-6 (DLR)

Post Thanks / Like

I always handled our own luggage while using Magical Express, but recently have come to really appreciate tagging the bags & having them delivered right to our room.
    I think that'll be the norm from now on.
    *JEFF*

NEXT WDW VACATION
    SEPT '18
    BWV & AKL(Kidani)

Post Thanks / Like

We always fly Allegiant now because Delta just got insanely expensive for us but we used to always use the luggage service and loved it. One drawback of it as members of BLT was that it was pretty much always the last stop on that route and oddly enough it seems like we can get our own bags at Sanford or Tampa's airports and get to BLT about as quick as the Magical Express could get us there and MCO is actually a closer airport than both of those. I still would definitely be using the Magical Express and luggage service if the flights hadn't got so expensive though. Does anyone actually know whether Uber would be comparable to Alamo for a family of 4 from Sanford?

Post Thanks / Like

I always use the luggage service. I do pack a couple items in my personal bag, like park shoes, or if I have a dinner planned some nice clothes. I absolutely love the convenience.

Post Thanks / Like

We have used DME multiple times over the years. It all depends on our agenda. If we are doing other off-property things, we will get a vehicle at the airport for the first part, or all of our trip. Sometimes we will drop off the car at the Dolphin to avoid additinal days rental costs (Use Alamo, because of the Disney discount, at times, but mostly because there is a Alamo rental in the Dolphin, or the other rental car centers. (Hilton has a Hertz rantal, too, over on Hotel road by Disney Springs.

Regardless of whether we use DME, or have a car, WE ALWAYS USE THE AIRPORT RESORT LUGGAGE CHECK when we check out of the Disney resort hotel. You don't need to be signed up for DME for that service. That makes our return to the airport much better. All we have to do is go directly to security, and with TSA PreCheck, we have gained an extra hour on the day we leave the Orlando area.