Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DVCNews Debates: One Time Exception

Post Thanks / Like

Default DVCNews Debates: One Time Exception

Disney Vacation Club Member Services will reportedly grant a once-in-a-lifetime exception to certain program rules or deadlines. This exception is often referenced when owners miss their point banking deadline, yet DVC still allows them to bank unused points. Other instances saw owners avoiding the Holding account restrictions following a late cancellation.

Has DVC ever granted you a "one time exception"? If so, what were the circumstances?

View complete article
    This website is an unofficial publication regarding the Disney Vacation Club and is not affiliated in any way with Walt Disney World, The Walt Disney Company, the Disney Vacation Club, Disney Vacation Development, or any of their affiliates or subsidiaries. All Disney images © The Walt Disney Company. All information presented on this site is subject to change. Information presented on this site may not be reproduced without permission.

Post Thanks / Like

Never used it, never knew it existed, but glad to know I have one "Get Out Jail Free" card.

Post Thanks / Like

We used this feature in 2000 when we purchased points from the resale market. The seller had not used any of the points from the previous year, but the banking deadline had passed. DVC allowed us to bank those points and subsequently use the banked points for the Inaugural 7-Night Disney Magic cruise.

Post Thanks / Like

We have never had a once in a lifetime exception. We could have used it when we had points go into holding due to an emergency hospitalization. Maybe you have to ask for the exception?
    --Denise

Scheduled upcoming Disney trips:

11/30/17 - 12/14/17 - Bay Lake Tower at the Contemporary Resort
    03/01/18 - 03/08/18 - Copper Creek at the Wilderness Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by towncrier View Post
    We used this feature in 2000 when we purchased points from the resale market. The seller had not used any of the points from the previous year, but the banking deadline had passed. DVC allowed us to bank those points and subsequently use the banked points for the Inaugural 7-Night Disney Magic cruise.
    Considering the recent attacks by DVC on the resale market over the last couple years, I wonder if the same problem had occurred today, would they still allow the one time exemption?

Post Thanks / Like

I have always wanted to keep that option in my back pocket for a rainy day so to speak, but wound up having to use it recently. It was a situation where I had some transferred points left (7 to be exact) and had booked Aulani online right at the 7 month mark for the busy Christmas holiday season (home resort is SS). I called later that day to have the points re arranged so that instead of “borrowing” like the online booking makes you do, I would be using those transferred points. The cast member re arranged it all to my request and those 7 transferred points were allocated for the Aulani reservation and the 7 borrowed points should have been put back in the correct use year. At this point it gets a little foggy because I can’t imagine that I forgot to double check my account and make sure it was done correctly. But either way I took the trip to Aulani and then about a month after I logged on to check my points and there were those darn 7 points that should have been put back into the correct use year and they were not in the right use year. So I called and explained the situation and they made me use my one time exception to put things right. So now I have used it up and must be extra vigilant. It’s a bit of a bummer as I feel it was their mistake as they have the record of my phone call and request but it apparently wasn’t executed correctly.

Post Thanks / Like

Did not know that option was available. It was always presented that you had to have your ducks in a row, but you also sort of figured that Disney might allow an exception for an emergency situation.

It is great to know that it is available and hope I don't have to make use of it.

AKVHutch

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: DVCNews Debates: One Time Exception

Quote Originally Posted by KNWVIKING 2.0
    Quote Originally Posted by towncrier View Post
    Considering the recent attacks by DVC on the resale market over the last couple years, I wonder if the same problem had occurred today, would they still allow the one time exemption?
    I used the one time exemption just last week. I purchased a contract from a seller who had points expiring July31. I moved those points into an existing reservation and the existing points were un-borrowed from the August 2018 use year.

In addition, this was actually the third time they have done this for me. Each time when I purchased a contract from the secondary market.

Post Thanks / Like

We haven't needed it yet, but with four parents all in their 80's I just somehow feel that someday we may need to cancel a Disney trip at the last minute. Nice to know that this option exists, especially with the lack of availability at 60 days for anything other than a 2-BR or Aulani ...
    - Lorie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: DVCNews Debates: One Time Exception

We used it once, many years ago (we've been members since 1993) I thought I was canceling a reservation at the right time, but I was off by a day. Apparently their 30-day window started a day sooner than what I thought.