Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: North Texas Grandmother Scammed on DVC Points Rental

Post Thanks / Like

Default North Texas Grandmother Scammed on DVC Points Rental

Dallas-Fort Worth station NBC 5 issues a consumer report about a local resident who nearly lost $2,500 on a Disney Vacation Club point rental agreement that went sour.

Stormalong Bay at Disney's Beach Club Resort

View complete article
    This website is an unofficial publication regarding the Disney Vacation Club and is not affiliated in any way with Walt Disney World, The Walt Disney Company, the Disney Vacation Club, Disney Vacation Development, or any of their affiliates or subsidiaries. All Disney images © The Walt Disney Company. All information presented on this site is subject to change. Information presented on this site may not be reproduced without permission.

2. Likes RoHa liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Honestly I feel no sympathy for this woman. The fact that the other "member" refused to do a three way call should have caused her to decline to do business with him. She probably did no due diligence like using the Orange County Comptroller website to see if he is actually an owner and probably didn't ask for references. Common sense maneuvers to protect yourself

Post Thanks / Like

Most DVC owner's have not clue about the Orange County Comptroller. As an owner, I would not do a three way call either until I had verified funds. It sounds she was wanting a sweet deal at only $7.03 per point and was willing to take the risk.

Post Thanks / Like

Seems to me this is a simple case of "follow the money". It's not like she mailed the guy a envelope full of cash or a money order, it was done electronically, there has to be a real person on the other end of the transaction.

At least that's how they always find the bad guy on NCIS.

6. Likes RoHa liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DVCNews View Post
    Dallas-Fort Worth station NBC 5 issues a consumer report about a local resident who nearly lost $2,500 on a Disney Vacation Club point rental agreement that went sour.

Stormalong Bay at Disney's Beach Club Resort

View complete article
    interesting! It so happens that we’re in the Dallas-FW area this weekend, babysitting our DGDs. Gonna have to watch for this.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: North Texas Grandmother Scammed on DVC Points Rental

Without "Gary's last name given", i know of a Gary that i have rented from years ago, He has a true DVC account, but another person is scamming his identity. I contacted the real Gary, and he was aware of it and has contacted DVC. Apparently the Fake Gary has been attempting to scam people for quite a while.

9. Thanks TimK, denlo thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hunclemarco View Post
    Without "Gary's last name given", i know of a Gary that i have rented from years ago, He has a true DVC account, but another person is scamming his identity. I contacted the real Gary, and he was aware of it and has contacted DVC. Apparently the Fake Gary has been attempting to scam people for quite a while.
    Interesting! Honestly in my 15+ years of following DVC--including two rentals before we purchased--I'm sort of surprised we don't hear about scams more often. These are often high dollar transactions which literally take months to reach completion (check-in at the resort.) With two parties operating independently, there's very little that can be done to police the transaction. And Disney has zero obligation to help the rentee (?) if there is no reservation in their name when the guest arrives.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KNWVIKING 2.0 View Post
    Seems to me this is a simple case of "follow the money". It's not like she mailed the guy a envelope full of cash or a money order, it was done electronically, there has to be a real person on the other end of the transaction.

At least that's how they always find the bad guy on NCIS.

I don't have time to research but I suspect timeshare rentals have been fully excluded from any buyer protection thru PayPal. Think of the potential for abuse. It's just one person's word against another as to whether the "product" was satisfactorily delivered. PayPal has no way to independently confirm whether or not points have been transferred, reservations conveyed, resorts are of the quality and location as described, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TimK View Post
    Interesting! Honestly in my 15+ years of following DVC--including two rentals before we purchased--I'm sort of surprised we don't hear about scams more often. These are often high dollar transactions which literally take months to reach completion (check-in at the resort.) With two parties operating independently, there's very little that can be done to police the transaction. And Disney has zero obligation to help the rentee (?) if there is no reservation in their name when the guest arrives.
    id bet they happen all the time we just don’t hear about it. I haven’t read the news article but based on the article here my assumption is the lady sought out the news to make her story public so that PayPal would reimburse her. That’s a real pet peeve of mine because PayPal isn’t responsible for someone else’s ‘failure to be vigilant’.

But yes scams are alive and well in this world. I know of lots that would make your head shake and cause you to lose your faith in humanity (the people falling for it). People are still trying to help that Nigerian prince unfreeze his fortune.
    WDW - POFQ, CS, ASM, BLT, OKW, VWL, AKL - (9 trips)
    DL - 4 trips
    DCL - 2 cruises
    Aulani - 3 trips

Post Thanks / Like

I saw Gary comment on another board. His identity was stolen and several reservations were made using his identity. He is a real DVC member and the scammer had rented from him one time (I think that is what he said) and somehow got his member number. I think he said he was working with the police to get this guy.