Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Walt Disney World Adds Overnight Parking Fee, DVC Exempt

Post Thanks / Like

Default Walt Disney World Adds Overnight Parking Fee, DVC Exempt

Overnight parking fees are being imposed at all Walt Disney World resorts, however the fees will not apply to Disney Vacation Club members.

View complete article
    This website is an unofficial publication regarding the Disney Vacation Club and is not affiliated in any way with Walt Disney World, The Walt Disney Company, the Disney Vacation Club, Disney Vacation Development, or any of their affiliates or subsidiaries. All Disney images © The Walt Disney Company. All information presented on this site is subject to change. Information presented on this site may not be reproduced without permission.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DVCNews View Post
    Additionally Disney Vacation Club owners are exempt from all self-parking fees when using their points or paying cash to stay at a DVC resort or Walt Disney World hotel.
    I have a slightly different read. The quote in the news article supplied from Disney is as follows:
    Members will not be charged for standard overnight self-parking when staying at a DVC Deluxe Villa, regardless of whether they use vacation points or another form of payment. Members also will not be charged to park when using vacation points to stay at a Walt Disney World Resort hotel.
    To me, this means that we won't have to pay a fee if we're staying at any DVC resort, regardless if we're staying on points or cash. If we're staying at a Disney hotel using points (i.e., non-DVC), we will likewise be exempt from the overnight parking fee. However, the exclusion from paying parking fees when staying at a Disney hotel applies only "when using vacation points to stay at a Walt Disney World Resort hotel." They specifically exclude stays at Disney hotels paying cash, which I understand to mean that we will be subject to the parking fees when paying cash at the Disney hotels.

Post Thanks / Like

Poor proofreading on my part. Will fix.
    Last edited by TimK; 03-14-2018 at 01:28 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

What begs the question for me is exactly how is this enforced, specifically are we going back to registering your car with the front desk and having a placard in the windshield? Also, are members going to limited on number of cars, as they do at AUL?

Post Thanks / Like

If Disney is going to charge for parking a car overnight for a hotel guest, then why aren't they charging guests to take Magical Express? It looks like Disney is trying to get out of paying some hotel taxes.
    --Denise

Scheduled upcoming Disney trips:

11/27-12/14/18 AKV Kidani Village
    2/19-2/22/19 - Bay Lake Tower
    3/10-3/14/19 - AKV Jambo House

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by denlo View Post
    If Disney is going to charge for parking a car overnight for a hotel guest, then why aren't they charging guests to take Magical Express? It looks like Disney is trying to get out of paying some hotel taxes.
    At the rate Disney is going recently, who wouldn't be surprised if they started charging for their Magical Express system. I hope not for other guests sake. I read some people's comments today that suggested Disney is only doing this because so many people would park their cars at resorts in the mornings and use the bus system to avoid paying the park fee. I guess I'm a bit of a rule follower because I would never think to do that. Getting out of paying hotel taxes sounds more plausible though.
    ~Amy~

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by denlo View Post
    The optimist in me would like to think they are instituting the parking fee to encourage more people to fly, rather than bring a private vehicle. Some of the parking lots have been feeling even more congested than normal lately.

However, I can't help but feel that it's just yet another money grab.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brad1972 View Post
    The optimist in me would like to think they are instituting the parking fee to encourage more people to fly, rather than bring a private vehicle. Some of the parking lots have been feeling even more congested than normal lately.

However, I can't help but feel that it's just yet another money grab.
    Possibly, but it sure hard on Florida locals that drive to WDW and stay in a Disney hotel for a long weekend. Surely Disney cannot expect them to all fly? The same would be true for people living in nearby states. We started driving to WDW instead of flying because even with paying for a hotel night it was half the cost for us to fly to Orlando from Houston. Although since we now take two nights on the road to WDW, it is a less than half. But still quite a savings.

I too think it is just another way to make more money.
    --Denise

Scheduled upcoming Disney trips:

11/27-12/14/18 AKV Kidani Village
    2/19-2/22/19 - Bay Lake Tower
    3/10-3/14/19 - AKV Jambo House

Post Thanks / Like

I should start by saying that my wife and I are really die hard Disney people. For the last 15 years we have pretty much dedicated all planned vacations to visiting the mouse! We bought into DVC in 2005 and have been really happy with our decision ever since.

For the last few years we have started to feel like the greed factor has really become obvious. From the dramatic hike in park tickets, to the dramatic hike in dining plan prices, etc.

As DVC members it looks like we will be exempt from the latest attempt to further boost profits, but it is really bothering us. We don’t complain. Ever. We’re just not those type of people. We go with the flow, but my wife did Email Disney earlier to say how disappointed she was in this move. Based on the last few years worth of monetary decisions, I do feel like the primary motivator is profits, with hotel parking and abuse being the secondary benefit. ☹️

10. Likes Aurora912 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think this is a way to keep people from renting cars at the airport to keep you in the Disney bubble. That would be the only reason I could see them for not charging for the Magic Express.