Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Direct Sales Start Strong in 2018

Post Thanks / Like

Default Direct Sales Start Strong in 2018

Disney Vacation Club just had its best January sales month in at least eight years.

View complete article
    This website is an unofficial publication regarding the Disney Vacation Club and is not affiliated in any way with Walt Disney World, The Walt Disney Company, the Disney Vacation Club, Disney Vacation Development, or any of their affiliates or subsidiaries. All Disney images © The Walt Disney Company. All information presented on this site is subject to change. Information presented on this site may not be reproduced without permission.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Direct Sales Start Strong in 2018

I'm kinda shocked that the 25-point addons (most for purposes of perks access) only represent about 1% of sales for the month. Not sure what I expected it to be, but that's pretty small.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Direct Sales Start Strong in 2018

Not sure why as the inventory they have is not that great and Poly is now closed. Any location that has a studio and does not sleep 5 is off my list (except BLT). I even tried to buy some VGF direct the other day given the recent change since I am shuffling our personal inventory and was told it was closed. Pretty much everything else except new is closed as the profit margin is not up to their standard. I now have lots of points from the secondary market (BLT, VGF and BCV) as direct never sells what I want anyway (and the price issue to boot). I think home resort is only going to become more and more important as the years progress and the number of points in the pool increase!

Having a Magical Day

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by xvoltn View Post
    Pretty much everything else except new is closed as the profit margin is not up to their standard
    Disney has to retain at least two percent of a resort's total points, and I suspect it doesn't want to hold much more than that. Each month Disney reacquires points via foreclosures and ROFR, but overall its inventory for each resort stays fairly consistent.

For several years Disney has held about 5,000 to 8,000 points over the 2% amount at BLT. However, there is no way of knowing how many of these points Disney could sell today if it wanted to. For example, Disney could reacquire a 200-point BLT deed with a March Use. The 200 points would be included in Disney's overall holdings at BLT. However, if that deed is stripped of all points until March 2019, Disney could not sell any of those points until March 1, 2019. This explains why some members on waitlists for points aren't offered points by Disney until the start of their Use Year.

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure why as the inventory they have is not that great and Poly is now closed. Any location that has a studio and does not sleep 5 is off my list (except BLT).
    Different strokes for different folks, my friend.

I even tried to buy some VGF direct the other day given the recent change since I am shuffling our personal inventory and was told it was closed. Pretty much everything else except new is closed as the profit margin is not up to their standard. I now have lots of points from the secondary market (BLT, VGF and BCV) as direct never sells what I want anyway (and the price issue to boot).
    Problem is DVC has far more interested buyers (on a waiting list) than they can expect to recapture points anytime in the near future. Their sales are always around 90% "new" resorts and that's likely to continue.

I think home resort is only going to become more and more important as the years progress and the number of points in the pool increase!
    Depends on how well received each new resort is. New sales will always add more owners, but it brings new resorts (rooms) into the system, too. Copper Creek may not be your cup 'o tea, but Wilderness Lodge is one of the most well-loved resorts. There are undoubtedly people who moved CCV up on their preference list, ahead of the likes of Beach Club, BoardWalk, BLT and so on. It's virtually impossible to quantify, but I doubt CCV itself is going to rock the program to its core. And the forthcoming Riviera Resort has the potential to really be a draw if executed properly.

Post Thanks / Like

Tim,

Agreed. Everyone has their pros and cons so that is a given but it shapes the decisions of individual buyers. For example, I would bet that most people try to maximize their points during a year and why five in a studio can be a key desire. That said, the pros/cons are vast and wide. If DVC wanted to service the waiting customers, they could do so as they have 100% control with ROFR. The point was that old sales are not as profitable as new sales so DVC will not get into this space and they will continue to try and tweak the rules/guidelines to make direct sales seem more appealing. DVC is real estate so LOCATION, LOCATION, and LOCATION. There is a reason that certain resorts have higher prices and are harder to get a reservation (unless it is your home resort). My point was not that CCV was going to be a "game changer" but look at AUL/PVB. I bet most of those points are not used at the home resort and I believe you will see more of this as time progresses with the resorts getting further away from the key locations (regardless of this new gondola system). I gave up years ago actually looking for any sense of true business logic from DVC. I swear that I think they are just throwing darts at a board at times to make decisions.

Having a Magical Day

Post Thanks / Like

My point was not that CCV was going to be a "game changer" but look at AUL/PVB. I bet most of those points are not used at the home resort and I believe you will see more of this as time progresses with the resorts getting further away from the key locations (regardless of this new gondola system). I gave up years ago actually looking for any sense of true business logic from DVC. I swear that I think they are just throwing darts at a board at times to make decisions.
    I generally don’t disagree except for Aulani for those of us on the West Coast. We’re in Sacramento and we only have the Grand Californian close by (which has zero inventory unless it’s your home resort). But the flight from Sacramento to Honolulu (direct) is shorter than the flight from here to Orlando. This April will be our fourth year as DVC members and we’ve already done Aulani twice. Probably would have done more Hawaii trips had we not done a couple of Disneyland hotel stays and this year’s trip to WDW.
    Home resort: Aulani, Copper Creek