Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Minnie Van Price Increase

Post Thanks / Like

Default Minnie Van Price Increase

The Minnie Van transportation option has apparently been a resounding success at Walt Disney World.

View complete article
    This website is an unofficial publication regarding the Disney Vacation Club and is not affiliated in any way with Walt Disney World, The Walt Disney Company, the Disney Vacation Club, Disney Vacation Development, or any of their affiliates or subsidiaries. All Disney images © The Walt Disney Company. All information presented on this site is subject to change. Information presented on this site may not be reproduced without permission.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm kind of bothered by the increase of 25%.

Post Thanks / Like

As with many things and services offered by Disney, there is no obligation to use the Minnie Van Service.

If the price is too high, then guests can use the Disney buses, boats, or monorails for free. And, of course, there are always taxis and the standard Lyft and Uber rides.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by simbasmom View Post
    I'm kind of bothered by the increase of 25%.
    The $20 fee was a best guess as to what the market would support. I don't think it's a harbinger of 25% increases every 6 months. They just realized that given resources available (drivers, cars) and demand, they could afford to charge more.

And frankly, there probably will be some people turned off by the increase. That's often the point of a price increase--not only to make more for each unit but to reduce excessive demand. (The shocking increase in Disneyland AP prices is another example of this.)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TimK View Post
    The $20 fee was a best guess as to what the market would support. I don't think it's a harbinger of 25% increases every 6 months. They just realized that given resources available (drivers, cars) and demand, they could afford to charge more.

And frankly, there probably will be some people turned off by the increase. That's often the point of a price increase--not only to make more for each unit but to reduce excessive demand. (The shocking increase in Disneyland AP prices is another example of this.)
    Good point! I forgot that the previous price of $20 was kind of a "guesstimate" since it was the initial price. It's probably a similar concept to OKW being the lowest points per night. They were the first, so DVC had to "guesstimate" in a way, to see what the market would bear.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think Disney Guesstimates anything. They calculate a million Point A to B combinations throughout WDW, determine cost per mile and add in a profit percentage.

If people accept the price, they increase it. Not because expenses changed, but because they want more profit. And the cycle will continue.

Post Thanks / Like

I figure the original price was a trial balloon to set the hook. I guess the backstage bus things were sort of a forerunner to this. I never did try the bus thing because it didn't seem all that convenient. This definitely does seem convenient but I will probably only use it when we drop the kids off at Lilo's Playhouse for our night at LaCellier's and Extra Magic at MK. That way we're not waiting for the monorails a lot of the time while the kids are at Lilo's.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DuckTalesWooHoo View Post
    I figure the original price was a trial balloon to set the hook. I guess the backstage bus things were sort of a forerunner to this. I never did try the bus thing because it didn't seem all that convenient. This definitely does seem convenient but I will probably only use it when we drop the kids off at Lilo's Playhouse for our night at LaCellier's and Extra Magic at MK. That way we're not waiting for the monorails a lot of the time while the kids are at Lilo's.
    FYI, I think Lilo's Playhouse is closing. http://dvcnews.com/index.php/resorts...nters-to-close
    --Denise

Scheduled upcoming Disney trips:

11/27-12/14/18 AKV Kidani Village
    2/19-2/22/19 - Bay Lake Tower
    3/10-3/14/19 - AKV Jambo House

Post Thanks / Like

On our WDW trip last weekend, we missed the bus from VWL to DHS by one minute (eta arrival was 20min on digital board). I opened Lyft and thought that I was booking a Minnie Van, but must have just hit my usual default Lyft option. Lo and behold a driver had just dropped off at the front door of our resort, so 0-minute wait time. The driver was very nice. We didn't need any car seats. Total fare with 20% tip was $11. We all agreed that if we missed the bus ever again, it was money well-spent. Now, we only have a family of 4, no car seats or strollers, and I use both Uber and Lyft for work a lot... so we travel by car easily. I'm glad Disney has an option that easily helps those who need more time, more gear, and possibly more seats. Of course, that's going to cost more, too.