Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Rumor: IaSW closing

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rumor: IaSW closing

Read a rumor that IaSW will shut down and reopen as a Tangled attraction.

First, IaSW really is a ride I only do when I need 30 minutes of air conditioning. It's cute and I'm sure back in the 60's in NYC it was amazing, but it just is more annoying than fun.

That said, I would hate to see it go. This is one of Walt's rides. It's iconic.

I know change is normal and mostly good, but somethings just need to stay the same. I feel that rides like IaSW, CoP, Matterhorn, JC, PoTC and a few others should be considered untouchable.

Post Thanks / Like

I have not heard that It's a Small World is closing. It is very popular and the boats are usually full. I would be very surprised that they would redo IaSW with a Tangle product after all they only thought that movie was worthy of a bathroom area at MK. Do you have a link for that rumor?
    --Denise

Scheduled upcoming Disney trips:

11/27-12/14/18 AKV Kidani Village
    2/19-2/22/19 - Bay Lake Tower
    3/10-3/14/19 - AKV Jambo House

Post Thanks / Like

Now I can't find the link and probably nothing will become of the rumor, but the bigger point I was trying to make is that some rides - regardless of popularity - should be preserved as a memorial to Walt. So many things at WDW are becoming Un-Disney today and I hope there will always remain a few artifacts that are pure Walt.

4. Likes Teresa Kay liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It would be a shame to see IaSW close, especially if you've ever been in a boat with a early elementary aged or pre-school child. They're enraptured and the adults around them spend the entire ride pointing out figures. We hardly every go to the MK anymore but almost every time we hit that ride.

Janet & Dan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KNWVIKING 2.0 View Post
    Now I can't find the link and probably nothing will become of the rumor, but the bigger point I was trying to make is that some rides - regardless of popularity - should be preserved as a memorial to Walt. So many things at WDW are becoming Un-Disney today and I hope there will always remain a few artifacts that are pure Walt.
    Sentimentally I understand what you are saying, but I am not sure Walt Disney would agree with us. He believed in changing things, improving, plus-ing it is what he called it, and tweaking things even after they were done. And when he finished a project he went on to do something new. The old no longer interested him. I read a quote from him, that I can't find, that said exactly that.

And I think if an attraction no longer is being utilized by guests, is it right to keep it the same? But to me, this does not apply to It's a Small World, unlike the Carousel of Progress, IaSW is still be used by a large number of guests. BTW, there is an upgrade of the last segment of the Carousel of Progress scheduled for this spring to bring it up to date.
    --Denise

Scheduled upcoming Disney trips:

11/27-12/14/18 AKV Kidani Village
    2/19-2/22/19 - Bay Lake Tower
    3/10-3/14/19 - AKV Jambo House

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by denlo View Post
    Sentimentally I understand what you are saying, but I am not sure Walt Disney would agree with us. He believed in changing things, improving, plus-ing it is what he called it, and tweaking things even after they were done. And when he finished a project he went on to do something new. The old no longer interested him. I read a quote from him, that I can't find, that said exactly that.

And I think if an attraction no longer is being utilized by guests, is it right to keep it the same? But to me, this does not apply to It's a Small World, unlike the Carousel of Progress, IaSW is still be used by a large number of guests. BTW, there is an upgrade of the last segment of the Carousel of Progress scheduled for this spring to bring it up to date.
    I know the quote you are referring to and if Walt were alive and well, it wouldn't bother me at all if rides like IaSW were closed & replaced.

But since he isn't, these classics - no matter how corny or out dated they seem today - are living reminders of what Walt dreamed into reality.

Post Thanks / Like

IaSW is in the same category as CoP to me-maybe not the best ride, but due to sentimentality, it should never be shut down. For us, it was our DGD's favorite ride from her first visit, which is reason enough for me to keep it open always. Last time the farewell notice to my DDIL was in Spanish, which is her native language. She loved the ride just for that ending.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KNWVIKING 2.0 View Post
    The only thing I've seen was some click bait from a Web site called "Viral Disney" that had zero facts and a comment read "More info will be released next week!" Since that page has had 74,000 shares and almost 200,000 views, I suspect they got exactly what they wanted.

I personally can't stand It's a Small World but my wife loves it. And if enough people are visiting an attraction, I'm in favor of keeping it even if I never go on it.

Now, if we want to talk about my beloved People Mover being excised from Disneyland, I'm still distraught! But no worries, my wife and I are at WDW in early May, so I will be on the People Mover at least 10 times during our visit.
    Home resort: Aulani, Copper Creek