Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Adding points to SSR

Post Thanks / Like

Question Adding points to SSR

My husband and I are hoping in the next 1-2 years to add 25 points to our existing SSR contract that we bought direct from DVC. I saw recently it was $145 a point...ouch! Certainly a lot more than what we paid per point back in 2008.

My questions are, has anyone had any experiences buying add-on points for their home resort from a resale in the 25-50 point range? Does that affect any benefits that come with being a DVC owner? Does Disney penalize you for buying add-on points from a resale? Should we just add directly from Disney? Do they tend to offer any add-on point deals during the year for your home resort? I always see add-on offers for Hawaii and Copper Creek, but I don't want to pay maintenance fees to a second resort. Our use year is August so we'd like to hopefully get the extra points in that month or close to it. We've been renting out our points the last few years because we had two kids, hence the reason for more points, need 1-bedrooms now. Know we will need at least an extra 75 points per year, but would like to buy in cash 25 points at a time.

Thanks in advance for the help and advice! :-)
    ~Amy~

Post Thanks / Like

Your direct points will always give you any direct purchaser benefits. Adding a resale purchase will not affect that.

DVC does not typically offer any incentives for direct add-ons at sold out resorts. The only resorts with any current incentives are Aulani, Copper Creek & Polynesian Villas.

Current Pricing & Promotions can be found here: http://dvcnews.com/index.php/dvc-pro...g-a-promotions
    Michael

3. Thanks Aurora912 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Disney and Concierge Collections options are not available for ownership interests not purchased directly from Disney Vacation Development, Inc. after March 21, 2011,and, effective April 4, 2016, Members who have not purchased an ownership interest directly from DVD will not have access to Membership Extras.
    So if you purchase via resale additional points now, those points cannot be used to book the Disney Collection Concierge Collections. Because your original purchase was direct you still retain the right to use your other points for those bookings and you are still eligible for Membership extras, including discounts, and the Membership Magic events.

There are still many 25 point contracts being sold presently. There are rumors DVC will raise the 25 point minimum to 50 points for add on contracts, but so far wdrl, who researches DVC sales, has not seen that restriction on contracts that are posting in January. New buyers still have a minimum of 50 points.

If you keep the same UY for the new resale contract you will still have a one member number. If you buy another contract even if it is an SSR contract with a different UY, you will be assigned a second member number. That means if you want to combine your points in a single reservation, you will need to transfer them between the contracts. Personally I prefer to stick with one use year.
    --Denise

Scheduled upcoming Disney trips:

11/27-12/14/18 AKV Kidani Village
    2/19-2/22/19 - Bay Lake Tower
    3/10-3/14/19 - AKV Jambo House

5. Thanks Aurora912 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So you think it's just worth it to buy directly from Disney to avoid the aggravation of dealing with two contract numbers and anything else that comes with resale? I think we'd definitely like having everything under one contract, even if that means paying a bit more; we're lazy...lol. Do you need to pay closing fees again if you're just buying add-on points through Disney?

Thanks for reminding me about the Concierge Collection. Not sure if we'll ever use it, but like knowing we have that option. Pretty sure you can't use resale points towards cruises too, right?
    ~Amy~

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Michael for your post and sharing that link. I see they updated the upcoming prices per point.
    ~Amy~

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aurora912 View Post
    Thanks for reminding me about the Concierge Collection. Not sure if we'll ever use it, but like knowing we have that option. Pretty sure you can't use resale points towards cruises too, right?
    Yes, that’s correct about the cruises. Also can’t use resale for non-DVC resort stays like Disneyland Hotel, Paradise Pier and all of the international resorts.

Small resale contracts tend to fetch a premium because there are fewer and it’s a cheaper buy-in. Also if you buy a different Use Year or have the resale titled any differently than your direct contract, it will be set up as completely separate contract in DVC’s systems. That leads to some complications when trying to combine the points for a single reservation.

For these reasons, I think a lot of people do cave in and pay the higher direct pricing. DVC will sell you the exact use year you already have and the exact number of points you want. With resales, you may have to compromise in some regard; if you’re seeking 40 SSR points with a February Use Year, what are the odds that EXACT contract will come up for sale? (And you see it before someone else can make an offer?)

May come down to how patient you are waiting for just the right resale, and the amount you stand to save buying resale.

Post Thanks / Like

Plus with the higher closing costs, it makes buying direct pretty close to resale for small 25pt contracts.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

10. Thanks Aurora912 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by frank View Post
    Plus with the higher closing costs, it makes buying direct pretty close to resale for small 25pt contracts.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Definitely an excellent point to consider is the closing costs between Disney and a private realtor selling them.
    ~Amy~