Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DVCNews Debates: Splurge

Post Thanks / Like

Default DVCNews Debates: Splurge

News of Walt Disney World's paid FastPass option--and a similar service at Disneyland--raises the question of what sort of things guests are willing to splurge on during a Disney vacation. Disney offers a wide variety of high priced add-ons like cabana rentals, behind-the-scenes tours, fireworks cruises, gourmet meals, photography sessions, souvenirs for every budget..maybe even some new DVC points.

Topic: What sort of extravagant purchases have you made during a Disney vacation?

View complete article
    This website is an unofficial publication regarding the Disney Vacation Club and is not affiliated in any way with Walt Disney World, The Walt Disney Company, the Disney Vacation Club, Disney Vacation Development, or any of their affiliates or subsidiaries. All Disney images © The Walt Disney Company. All information presented on this site is subject to change. Information presented on this site may not be reproduced without permission.

Post Thanks / Like

In 2006 we bought TWO Churro's AND a Turkey Leg.

Post Thanks / Like

On our honeymoon in September we did the Highway in the Sky Dine Around, we'd have never spend that kind of money if it was a ''regular'' trip.

Post Thanks / Like

Looking back we've splurged on a fair number of things....but over a period of 15+ years.

We did private photo sessions twice--once paying several hundred dollars and another time only about $75 for a PhotoPass offering that was long ago discontinued.

Pirate cruises for the kids 2x. We've attended MVMCP, MNSSHP and the old Pirate & Princess party, though only one time each. 3 or 4 different backstage tours, including my teens each doing one last year (birthday gifts.). D23 Expo several times. Parasailing (another BD gift).

That said, we don't dine very extravagantly. We did 1-2 character meals per trip when kids were younger but don't recall EVER eating at a signature location. (Oh, we did eat at Club 33 once.) Only did the dining plan once, for a 3-night stay about 8 years ago. And don't spend much on souvenirs.

Post Thanks / Like

We have done a handful of Behind the Scenes Tours.

We did a fireworks cruise at EPCOT - not much of a splurge considering we split the fee with 8 - 10 other guests.

First year they did "Party for the Senses" at the Millenium Circus Tent during F&W was incredible but then the price jumped considerably the follow year.

A group of us from one of the Disney Boards did a Dinner/Dessert/Fireworks night that started with dinner at the Odysee and it was TERRIBLE. Desserts were great.

Splurge dining we do off property, way more bang for the buck.

Post Thanks / Like

Chef’s Table at Victoria and Albert’s with full wine pairing and Wagyu upgrade. Well worth every penny.

Post Thanks / Like

We have done several "splurge" events on our Disney trips: A couple Mickey's Halloween parties; a Very Merry Christmas Party; and a few backstage events. One of my favorites was the "Senses of Africa" tour, which included getting up close to the okapis and giraffes in their backstage barns. We also did a special Star Wars tour at Hollywood Studios last year which was really great.

In many respects, we splurge on every trip. We own at several resorts and could book the cheapest accommodation at the 11 month window. But we always book for ourselves the more expensive Theme Park villas at BLT, the Savanna View Villas at AKV, and the Ocean View villas at Aulani. I know we could save a lot of points by booking the Value villas at AKV or the Standard View villas at BLT or Aulani, but we prefer the views from the other accommodation types.

Right now, I wouldn't pay extra for the super FastPass option. However, once Star Wars Land opens, we might decide its worth it to splurge and buy the super FastPass option so we can ride the new Star Wars attractions. Of course, the only way to get the super FastPass option is to book a Cascade Cabin or Poly bungalow. However, we have been toying with the idea of trying out a Cabin or Bungalow for a couple of nights on a future trip. The ability to get the super FastPasses might be the persuading factor in having us book one of those special villas.

Post Thanks / Like

My biggest splurge was the Wanyama Safari at Animal Kingdom Lodge. I loved it! Also, since we've started driving and not depending on airlines to treat our purchases "gently", we've bought some Jim Shore and Lenox collectibles at the Art Of Disney store. On this last trip, we bought a Jim Shore Figment.

Post Thanks / Like

I tend to look for "value" in everyday life. To the point where my wife loves making fun of me for being "cheap".
    But concerning vacations, especially WDW trips, I'm most certainly not frugal.
    We tend to eat almost every meal at Disney Table Service Restaurants, and our bar bills are pretty insane throughout the vacation. We've also done a couple expensive Dessert Parties on our last 2 trips.

Our whole Disney Vacation mindset, including DVC, is a ridiculous splurge. And I hope that never changes.
    *JEFF*

NEXT WDW VACATION
    9/25/18 - 10/7/18
    BWV, AKLV(Kidani) & OKW

Post Thanks / Like

Red face

Since becoming DVC members (1999), every trip (25+ and counting) has had at least one splurge. Backstage Tours, Character Breakfasts (trips with Grandkids), Signature Dining, Victoria and Albert's (milestone anniversary or birthday), Osborne Lights Dessert Party, and so on - we still view a Disney vacation as a special vacation. Like most folks on this thread, we've spent a little more for what I still consider a "special experience".

Many may be one and done, but we did it at least once.

A future plan is a Fireworks cruise at Epcot when we travel with our Kids and 6 Grandkids. For me, it's what makes a "Magical Moment"