Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Making reservations

Post Thanks / Like

Default Making reservations

Hi Everyone:
    We are thinking about purchasing DVC ownership at Old Key West on the resale market. We have stayed there in the past and enjoyed it. Since then, we now have 7 grandchildren. They love Magic Kingdom and would like to stay at a resort on the Monorail for easy access to MK.

Question #1) how easy is it to make a 7 day reservation at Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Grand Floridian or Wilderness Lodge Villas not being an owner at one of them? I don't want to make the investment purchasing at Old Key West without the real possibility of staying at one of these resorts. I've heard Bay Lake Tower 7 day reservations are more likely than the other DVC Villas on the Monorail but how likely?

Question #2) how easy is it to make a two day reservation at Grand Californian. I heard I would never be able to reserve a week stay unless I owned there but the most we would want to stay there would be for two days. Is it likely we would be able to use our OKW points for two days at the Grand Californian?

Thanks for your help. Your answers will help me decide if I even want to purchase DVC points at a property not around Magic Kingdom.

Post Thanks / Like

I've nothing to offer on the Grand Cali. Our experience transferring into Bay Lake Tower or Polynesian with our AK points is from mid-January to mid-September it's fairly easy to fine space - just not the lowest point space or the best view. Our experience with Grand Floridian or Wilderness Lodge Villas has been negative at all the time we've tried. In our experience from mid-September to mid-January you need to own to find space. With all of it you need to stick pretty hard to your booking window. Basically we have found that anything around the 5 month mark we end up in SSR - not even OKW.

Frankly, IMO, if your GC's want to be on the monorail then buy on the monorail. Good luck with your decision.

Janet & Dan

Post Thanks / Like

It all comes down to how flexible you can be with your travel dates and type of accommodations you want. A two night stay at VGC is quite possible to get at seven months by you might need to check for three or four weeks before you get a vacancy. And then you might find that only one bedrooms are available but no studios, two bedrooms or grand villas.

Flexibility is also the key for booking at WDW. Short stays are easier to secure than seven day stays, and one bedrooms are usually easier to get than the other accommodation types. Also, the cheaper view categories, such as Standard view at BLT, are usually gone before the seven month window opens.

The advice given to prospective buyers is “Buy where you don’t mind staying.” If you are lucky to get VGF or The Polynesian at seven months then be happy. But don’t buy OKW thinking you will be able to switch out at seven months most of the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Unrelated to your question, just wanted to be sure you knew OKW contracts have two different end dates.

Contracts were originally sold with the standard 50 year expiration 2042. Several years ago they offered owners a deal to extend them out 15 years, ending in 2057.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, just to chime in what others have said, if you want the monorail resort, consider strongly buying where you want to stay.
    We own at BLT and love it to bits, but honestly we liked OKW a lot, both for space in villas, and the area.
    It is nice to walk to MK from BLT, of course, the boat ride from there and the Poly and VGF are a novelty, the monorail a nice thing.
    While the bus from OKW, can be both good and bad,

We have had luck getting both 7,10 and 3 weeks stays at 7 month out, but then again we have not traveled in high season.
    BLT is not easy to get at 7 months if you want to spend less points, 7 days in high season could be 420 points at BLT in a 2 bed, theme park view (these seem to be the last to go).
    As opposed to OKW's 254.

Think also of the long game here, as your 7 grandkids grow up, interests may change from MK to DHS, to Disney Springs. Keep that in mind too.

Post Thanks / Like

We own at SSR and never had a problem getting a studio lake view at Bay Lake 7 months out; 3 different trips for 7-8 nights each. Same with Animal Kingdom Lodge. We've gone to Grand Cali a few times and I will say each time I had to book the studio room immediately - 8 a.m. eastern time on the dot, 7 months out. It seems to me, not surprisingly, the studios at high demand resorts will go first because the point cost is much lower. I'm not as worried about having to book at 8 a.m. for a 1-bedroom though. On a side note, if you're only planning on doing Disneyland and California Adventure I wouldn't personally plan on staying at GC for more than 4-5 nights especially for the point cost per night.

As other members have mentioned, buy where you love and want to stay the most. My husband and I bought into SSR in 2008 because we weren't familiar with how DVC worked and were told we could buy there or Animal Kingdom. We choose SSR because it was slightly cheaper per point and were offered additional discounts. We've stayed there once for New Years and I personally loved it, as it was extremely crowded everywhere else and it was quite there and walking distance to Downtown Disney. Now we're looking to add-on points and are thinking of buying into Bay Lake because we love it there and maintenance fees are similar. If I was new to buying, I'd definitely consider Bay Lake or Wilderness Lodge for Magic Kingdom hotels. Best of luck!!!
    ~Amy~