Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Additional Details on New Room Screening Process

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bakerworld View Post
    I also have to wonder if - rather than entering a room - a dog walking along the hallways would be able to scent something thru the door. After all, if a dog can find something with tons of people and their luggage in an airport or walking thru a lobby than they'd be able to work from the hallway. Gun cleaning solution is rather smelly - actually guns themselves are on the smelly side. Seems as if the dog police presence is already available then why not take it a step further.

Unfortunately police dogs don't work that way. While their sense of smell is above and beyond a humans it still has limitations. They can't pick out a scent if its masked by something else. If they were able to pick up something in the airport, in a crowd they are looking at a general location, and not a specific person. They then rely on additional security to look at cues to help narrow in on a potential suspect. Police dogs are best utilized in airports when they are able to sniff individual bags up close. That's why you will most commonly see them at bag checks walking around the turnstyle.

The chance of them picking up a the scent from a hotel room is unlikely unless it was near the door or the scent was extremely overpowering (such as large quantities of marijuana). However, in the room they would be able to better isolate the scent. Having said that though, Our last trip to AKV we saw a k9 walking through the hallways.

I once watched an episode of CSI where a police dog was able to track a suspect through buildings, across major roadways, through a busy shopping mall, and to a specific change room. If that were true then every crime would have a 100% closure rate.
    [SIZE=2]WDW - 1990/DL - 1995/DL - 1996/WDW - 1998/WDW - DEC2008 (POFQ)/WDW - 2010 (POFQ - Proposed 1/31/2010)/WDW and DCL- MAR2011 (CS/Pop and Eastern Carribean on the Magic - Honeymoon)/DL - OCT2011 (Paradise Pier)/Aulani - JAN 2012/DL -OCT2012/WDW -JAN2013(BLT)/WDW - SEP2013(OKW)/DL - DEC2014/WDW and DCL- Sep2015(BLT/VWL, and Western Caribbean on the Fantasy/May 2016(AKV-Kidani)/Jan2017 (Aulani)/Jan2018 (Aulani)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mkeef View Post
    Unfortunately police dogs don't work that way. While their sense of smell is above and beyond a humans it still has limitations. They can't pick out a scent if its masked by something else.
    Tell that to my BIL that spent a week in jail when the dog on the cruise ship found has bag of weed buried inside a can of Folgers coffee when the ship arrived in Bermuda, Tell that to the sailors on my ship who tried hiding weed by hollowing out deodorant sticks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KNWVIKING 2.0 View Post
    Tell that to my BIL that spent a week in jail when the dog on the cruise ship found has bag of weed buried inside a can of Folgers coffee when the ship arrived in Bermuda, Tell that to the sailors on my ship who tried hiding weed by hollowing out deodorant sticks.
    I'm sure, like most stories, there is more to it.

However, like I said, if the dog can get close to it can pick up overpowering smells and marijuana is the easiest to detect. The dog doesn't confirm the item it only detects a potential scent. The courts have determined the dog 'hitting' on the scent is grounds for a more thorough search.

Everything else I say on your response is just speculation as I don't know all the details.
    [SIZE=2]WDW - 1990/DL - 1995/DL - 1996/WDW - 1998/WDW - DEC2008 (POFQ)/WDW - 2010 (POFQ - Proposed 1/31/2010)/WDW and DCL- MAR2011 (CS/Pop and Eastern Carribean on the Magic - Honeymoon)/DL - OCT2011 (Paradise Pier)/Aulani - JAN 2012/DL -OCT2012/WDW -JAN2013(BLT)/WDW - SEP2013(OKW)/DL - DEC2014/WDW and DCL- Sep2015(BLT/VWL, and Western Caribbean on the Fantasy/May 2016(AKV-Kidani)/Jan2017 (Aulani)/Jan2018 (Aulani)