Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hilton Head Resort Still Closed

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hilton Head Resort Still Closed

Twelve days after being hit by Hurricane Matthew, Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort remains closed to guests.

View complete article
    This website is an unofficial publication regarding the Disney Vacation Club and is not affiliated in any way with Walt Disney World, The Walt Disney Company, the Disney Vacation Club, Disney Vacation Development, or any of their affiliates or subsidiaries. All Disney images © The Walt Disney Company. All information presented on this site is subject to change. Information presented on this site may not be reproduced without permission.

Post Thanks / Like

We are on the event e-mail list for The Jazz Corner just down the street from the HHI Resort and they had to cancel their big charity golf event due to the condition of the course. They stated "100's" of trees are down at the course.

Certainly hope the big mossy covered oaks at our resort survived.

Post Thanks / Like

And to think - we were supposed to stay at a different resort on HHI for three nights (10-6 through 10-9) then check in for a night at the Disney resort on 10-9. We cancelled both reservations the morning before the governor issued the evac order.

Post Thanks / Like

It sounds like the island itself might be having lots of problems including water and sewer problems from what I have read on the internet from some pretty good sources. So even if Disney's HHI resort is in good shape unless they have access to these basic items that would essentially keep them closed.
    --Denise

Scheduled upcoming Disney trips:

11/27-12/14/18 AKV Kidani Village
    2/19-2/22/19 - Bay Lake Tower
    3/10-3/14/19 - AKV Jambo House

Post Thanks / Like

We own a home on HHI, just on the other side of Shelter Cove. We went down to check on our house last weekend & while we were there, we drove down into Shelter Cove. We stopped at the gate to the Disney property. There were no trees visible on the roofs, but there were several vans parked at the entrance that had Wet Vacs in the back. Lots of leaves & small limbs down. There are still many places where trees block roads that don't need to be accessed immediately. We were not allowed to go onto the beach & there was limited access in many places. We had electricity, sewer & water in our neighborhood, and the restaurants surrounding the Disney property were open for business, so I assume that the Disney property itself has those amenities. The island is not pretty right now. It looks awful, and people are still trying to get their feet back on the ground. It's a mess.

Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps guests just need to think of the locals and let them get back on their feet at their homes and businesses before we invade them again in large numbers. For some locals they depend on the tourists though for their living, so I expect they hope it will be pretty soon. It sounds like DHHIR is hoping to open by the end of the month. I expect any activities are very limited right now. And who knows what the beach looks like and whether the beach house is operating yet.
    --Denise

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by denlo View Post
    Perhaps guests just need to think of the locals and let them get back on their feet at their homes and businesses before we invade them again in large numbers. For some locals they depend on the tourists though for their living, so I expect they hope it will be pretty soon. It sounds like DHHIR is hoping to open by the end of the month. I expect any activities are very limited right now. And who knows what the beach looks like and whether the beach house is operating yet.
    Yes, that's a good point. I've heard speculation that so many people have problems with their own homes that resorts aren't fully staffed as people try to work out problems at home. Also, remember the storm surge/high tide? I wonder how much water got into the resort buildings.

Post Thanks / Like

I heard the highest storm serge was south of Savannah st 7.8 feet. Isn't the raised elevation of each build at least 10 feet? The parking garage would be a mess as well as the raised areas under buildings. The fishing pier could.be weakened or damaged.
    --Denise

Post Thanks / Like

We just left Hilton Head, where we attended a wedding. Our HHI reservations were cancelled & it was nearly impossible to find another room in the area. (I assume some residents are still unable to get back in their homes & there are so many out-of-town clean-up crews there. We ended up in a friend of our son's vacation home, thankfully.) We wanted to see the Disney resort, though, and drove as close to it as possible, which was just across the bridge. None of the other resorts in that area or anywhere on the island are still closed that I could see. There isn't any more damage visible there than the surrounding area. We asked around to see if anyone knew the reason, and everyone we asked was shocked to hear they're still closed- so I wonder what the problem is. So bummed we missed it as I doubt we'll ever do HHI again.
    - Nancy
    WDW 1976,1982,1985,1993 (FL Res Pass) 2007,2008- Swan & Dolphin 2011- Pop Century 2014- KTTK Tour 2/2015- "Dream" Cruise 9/15 - SSR 5/2016- PVB & OKW- 1/2017- AKV & BCV
    Upcoming
    6/17-BWV, 12/17 - SSR

10. Thanks TimK thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

http://www.islandpacket.com/news/loc...109666727.html

This article talks about what HHI resorts are closed and what their expected opening dates should be.

Disney's HHI Resort is surrounded by water and the marsh area behind the resort really got heavy surge. Also how did the marina in front of the resort do? Did the boats end up on the Disney property?
    --Denise