Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seasonal rates & price increases for Disney park tickets

Post Thanks / Like

Default Seasonal rates & price increases for Disney park tickets

Disney has introduced seasonal pricing for single-day admission to its theme parks, while raising prices on "Magic Your Way" ticket media.

View complete article
    This website is an unofficial publication regarding the Disney Vacation Club and is not affiliated in any way with Walt Disney World, The Walt Disney Company, the Disney Vacation Club, Disney Vacation Development, or any of their affiliates or subsidiaries. All Disney images © The Walt Disney Company. All information presented on this site is subject to change. Information presented on this site may not be reproduced without permission.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, all of these charts and spreadsheets are making it way to complicated to plan. For example, if I have to know exactly what dates I would travel over a year, then check blackout dates against variations of AP's to determine what I need. Now, you have multiple choices for daily tickets, so get out that calculator and try to determine when / if you want to go based on your calculations...good grief.

I think if I can't afford the most expensive AP / Multi-day / Daily ticket choice that I will just skip it. The whole thing is stupid. Does anyone really think that these slight variations in price will actually decrease how busy MK is on Christmas for example? People vacation when they find it fits into their schedule and budget. I for one am growing weary of how complicated it seems to be getting to calculate. So, for me I am just going to look at the most expensive choice when planning -- if for some reason it ends up costing me less I will treat myself to a Mickey Ice Cream or maybe a Soda.
    Ron

2008 - Allstar Music, 2009 - POFQ, 2010 - AKL, 2011 - WL, 2012 - WL, 2013 - WL, Mar 2014 - BC , Dec 2014 - AKV Kidani, Mar 2015 - VWL, Oct 2015 - PVB, Mar 2016 - VGC, Mar 2017 - VGC, Mar 2018 - VWL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rkstocke5609 View Post
    Well, all of these charts and spreadsheets are making it way to complicated to plan. For example, if I have to know exactly what dates I would travel over a year, then check blackout dates against variations of AP's to determine what I need. Now, you have multiple choices for daily tickets, so get out that calculator and try to determine when / if you want to go based on your calculations...good grief.

I think if I can't afford the most expensive AP / Multi-day / Daily ticket choice that I will just skip it. The whole thing is stupid. Does anyone really think that these slight variations in price will actually decrease how busy MK is on Christmas for example? People vacation when they find it fits into their schedule and budget. I for one am growing weary of how complicated it seems to be getting to calculate. So, for me I am just going to look at the most expensive choice when planning -- if for some reason it ends up costing me less I will treat myself to a Mickey Ice Cream or maybe a Soda.
    I totally agree. After looking at the charts on AllEars, the only way I could figure it all out would be to print out the charts and pin them to a wall. There are now too many prices to deal with. I, too, will just buy the tickets I need and deal with the increase. If possible, I will stick with the APs.
    ~Diana

Post Thanks / Like

... The whole thing is stupid. Does anyone really think that these slight variations in price will actually decrease how busy MK is on Christmas for example?
    No, of course not. But it will increase their bottom line, which is their whole point, I suppose.

I would think most people who buy single day tickets are there for other reasons, for example a conference or convention. They'll pay the price since they are there anyhow and only have a day or a few hours to spare. Yes, there probably also are a few people visiting relatives and such who visit for a day, but $5 or $10 won't make it or break there either.

One thing the peak pricing does though is call attention to the busiest days. Maybe in the long run that will redistribute longer visits as well, but I doubt it. I think people usually just visit when they are able to visit.

Hilton Head 2 weeks a year, otherwise irrelevent
    Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone really think that these slight variations in price will actually decrease how busy MK is on Christmas
    This is neither the goal, nor the point, of Tiered pricing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stitch View Post
    Oh, I thought it was designed to adjust peoples behavior and hopefully adjust crowd levels. If it is solely to price gouge then I guess I missed the memo...
    Ron

2008 - Allstar Music, 2009 - POFQ, 2010 - AKL, 2011 - WL, 2012 - WL, 2013 - WL, Mar 2014 - BC , Dec 2014 - AKV Kidani, Mar 2015 - VWL, Oct 2015 - PVB, Mar 2016 - VGC, Mar 2017 - VGC, Mar 2018 - VWL

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think we really know the reasoning for tiered pricing, but I expect it is a combination of making more money for Disney parks, getting folks to by multi-day tickets versus single park tickets and discouraging folks from going to only one park during the peak dates. But reducing the numbers of single day folks is not really a high priority, if was wouldn't they just eliminate that ticket?
    --Denise

Scheduled upcoming Disney trips:

11/27-12/14/18 AKV Kidani Village
    2/19-2/22/19 - Bay Lake Tower
    3/10-3/14/19 - AKV Jambo House

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by denlo View Post
    I don't think we really know the reasoning for tiered pricing, but I expect it is a combination of making more money for Disney parks, getting folks to by multi-day tickets versus single park tickets and discouraging folks from going to only one park during the peak dates. But reducing the numbers of single day folks is not really a high priority, if was wouldn't they just eliminate that ticket?
    Yes, I agree that makes sense. Fortunately I don't bother with Single day anyways. Maybe they are trying to discourage locals with tight budgets from coming at peak times as well....like they wouldn't already be avoiding the crowd anyways....which goes back to my "why bother with tiers" rant at the beginning. Who cares, and what's the point?
    Ron

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stitch View Post
    Disney has stated that the intent is to "spread out our attendance throughout the year to accommodate demand and avoid bursting at the seams.”
    DVC Mike

Hilton Head 2 weeks a year, otherwise irrelevent
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DVC Mike View Post
    Disney has stated that the intent is to "spread out our attendance throughout the year to accommodate demand and avoid bursting at the seams.”
    I believe that is a secondary goal behind maximizing shareholder value.

With a product as successful and in-demand as WDW, management has three choices:

1) lower the price to get as many bodies in the gate as possible and piss off your customers.

2) keep the prices the same and get as many bodies in the gate as possible and piss off your customers.

3) raise the prices and get as many people in the gate as possible and piss off your customers.

Which choice do you think the shareholders want?

Do you really think WDW management is trying to limit the number of people attending with these new prices? No way. They are, rightfully so, maximizing share holder value. WDW Marketing is now charged with finding all sorts of creative ways to get more bodies in the gates.

As would I if I were the CEO.