Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lock off or no lock off? Which is better?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lock off or no lock off? Which is better?

I am looking to stay at AKL Kidani Village and was given the choice of a two bedroom or a two bedroom lock off. Exactly what is the difference and which is better?

Post Thanks / Like

We prefer the dedicated 2 bed vs the lockoff

A lock off is one bedroon and studio connected

The biggest difference is that in a lock off the second bedroom will have one bed, a pull out couch, and a kitchentte

The second room in a dedicated 2BR will have 2 beds and no kitchette.....

In some resorts the dedicated 2 BR will also have an extra bathroom
    WDW - POFQ, CS, ASM, BLT, OKW, VWL, AKL - (9 trips)
    DL - 4 trips
    DCL - 2 cruises
    Aulani - 3 trips

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kwazibear View Post
    I am looking to stay at AKL Kidani Village and was given the choice of a two bedroom or a two bedroom lock off. Exactly what is the difference and which is better?
    Better is relative. We've done both; I prefer dedicated at the moment, but coped fine with a lock-off on our last trip.

The lock-off will have a separate door to the outside, a queen bed, a sofa bed, a kitchenette, and a bathroom in the studio. The dedicated 2br will generally have two queen beds and may or may not have a second bathroom. They'll both have a TV of their own.

Generally, I think you want a dedicated 2br if you're traveling with younger kids and they're sleeping in the second bedroom. This means they have fewer things to get in trouble with, and don't have a back door out of the room. It may mean they need to come in next to the master bedroom to use the bathroom in the night, though.

You want the lock-off if you're traveling with a second couple of adults. This way they have a separate way in and out, a separate bathroom, and can make themselves coffee in the morning without bothering you.
    [WDW visits: DxL 1/98, VWL 1/03, WL 6/03, VWL 1/08, BWV 1/13, BCV 1/16, POFQ 4/17, BCV 1/19, BCV 4/19]
    [DL visits: 7/90, 11/93, 11/94, 11/95, 6/96, 11/96, 11/97, 11/99, 12/00, 8/01, 1/06, 2/08, 2/12, 6/14, VGC 7/16, DLH/VGC 1/17]
    [Family: me46, wife46, daughter19, son17, son14]
    [Races: 2016 WDW 10k, 2017 SW Light Side Rebel Challenge, 2017 SW Dark Side Half, 2019 SW Rival Run Challenge]

Post Thanks / Like

All 2 BRs at AKV-Kidani Village, have 3 separate bathrooms, one off the master, the living room and the second bedroom. That is one of the nice things about that resort and BLT when you have a growing family. You are able to all get ready quicker with so many showers and tubs available to you. Also at AKV all the standard or savanna view rooms have a pull couch chair in the living room of the 1 or 2BRs so they sleep an extra guest, i.e. 2BRs (sleeps 9) and 1BR (sleeps 5). BLT and OKW have the same pull out chairs.

BTW, although VGF does not have more than two bathrooms, they are both split so that guests also have the ability to shower four guests at the same time. Also in the VGF dedicated 2BR it only sleeps nine and it has a pull down murphy bunk bed in the 1BR's portion TV cabinet. But in a lockoff there are murphy beds in both the 1BR living portion and the studio so it sleeps 10 or gives a family much more flexibility with more beds. That really helps when the kids are older or a different sex and cannot sleep together comfortably.
    --Denise

Scheduled upcoming Disney trips:

11/27-12/14/18 AKV Kidani Village
    2/19-2/22/19 - Bay Lake Tower
    3/10-3/14/19 - AKV Jambo House

Post Thanks / Like

Default Good Question ?

Being BCV members we for the most part have always had a lock-off for the kids. This way they have their own entrance,bathroom and kitchenette. A rather big event is coming up in August and this year we don't have a lock off and after reading here it's got me to thinking. At the Beach Club Villas does the dedicated 2 bedroom have their own bathroom this is rather a crucial question ? I can't remember for it was several years ago and I believed our guests did have their own bath.

Post Thanks / Like

Default BCV 2 Bedroom

Quote Originally Posted by JFLomaga View Post
    Being BCV members we for the most part have always had a lock-off for the kids. This way they have their own entrance,bathroom and kitchenette. A rather big event is coming up in August and this year we don't have a lock off and after reading here it's got me to thinking. At the Beach Club Villas does the dedicated 2 bedroom have their own bathroom this is rather a crucial question ? I can't remember for it was several years ago and I believed our guests did have their own bath.
    Yes, the dedicated 2 bedroom at the BCV does have 2 bathrooms! I think all 2 bedroom timeshares in the world would have 2 bathrooms! That 2nd bedroom is quite large, by the way.

Post Thanks / Like

You can see the floor plan for the BCV 2BR villas on the DVC News Main Page http://dvcnews.com/index.php/resorts...prettyPhoto/2/

When I know there will be someone sleeping the in the living as well, I prefer a 2BR villa which has three bathrooms (one off of the living room and each bedroom) like they have at BLT or AKV Kidani Village.
    --Denise

Post Thanks / Like

I get a 2BR lock off at BLT (AKV is essentially the same layout) when I host my parents as well as my brother's family (wife and 2 small children) so that my brother's family will have some privacy (own bath and kitchenette). My parents end of taking the living room because they get up at an ungodly hour (and will have the kitchen and full bath), and I take the master bedroom. However, this coming May, only my brother and nephew are coming with my parents and me, so I reserved a dedicated two bedroom so that it will be easier to help my brother with my nephew.

In my mind, the difference is whether you need the 2nd bedroom to have the kitchenette and a private entrance.
    Hope this is helpful.

Post Thanks / Like

I am planning my first trip in a 2BR, going with my mother, brother and niece in addition to my family. Is there a bed count difference between the lock-off versus dedicated setups?

The room descriptions on the site...
    https://dvcnews.com/index.php/resort...prettyPhoto/2/
    https://dvcnews.com/index.php/resort...nventory-87884
    https://dvcnews.com/index.php/resort...nventory-24610

...describe the guest bedroom as having a pull-out (lock-off) or an actual second bed (dedicated). I had pictured a 2BR setup, even as a dedicated space, as really just connecting a 1BR with a studio but without having the lock-off door in between. But that made me think that there would still only be one bed in the studio-equivalent ("guest bedroom"). Is this wrong? Do the dedicated 2BRs have two queens still in the guest room, like described in all three examples above but best illustrated in the picture on the BLT description, or has a bed been removed and replaced with a pull-out couch regardless of dedicated status?

If there are two actual beds in the dedicated, that would make those setups more attractive to me in general. Thanks for the guidance.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by micelike View Post
    I am planning my first trip in a 2BR, going with my mother, brother and niece in addition to my family. Is there a bed count difference between the lock-off versus dedicated setups?

The room descriptions on the site...
    https://dvcnews.com/index.php/resort...prettyPhoto/2/
    https://dvcnews.com/index.php/resort...nventory-87884
    https://dvcnews.com/index.php/resort...nventory-24610

...describe the guest bedroom as having a pull-out (lock-off) or an actual second bed (dedicated). I had pictured a 2BR setup, even as a dedicated space, as really just connecting a 1BR with a studio but without having the lock-off door in between. But that made me think that there would still only be one bed in the studio-equivalent ("guest bedroom"). Is this wrong? Do the dedicated 2BRs have two queens still in the guest room, like described in all three examples above but best illustrated in the picture on the BLT description, or has a bed been removed and replaced with a pull-out couch regardless of dedicated status?

If there are two actual beds in the dedicated, that would make those setups more attractive to me in general. Thanks for the guidance.
    A dedicated 2BR has 2 queen beds in the second bedroom. The lockoff is a 1BR and studio combined with locking connecting doors. The studio portion of the lockoff will have the kitchenette in the lockoff. And because they are lock offs they will have their own entrance doors.
    --Denise

11. Likes micelike liked this post