Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Polynesian coverage around the 'net

Post Thanks / Like

Default Polynesian coverage around the 'net

The Disney Vacation Clubmember tours of Disney's Polynesian Villas & Bungalows are under way. Inside are links to some of the more comprehensive looks inside the newest timeshare property.

View complete article
    This website is an unofficial publication regarding the Disney Vacation Club and is not affiliated in any way with Walt Disney World, The Walt Disney Company, the Disney Vacation Club, Disney Vacation Development, or any of their affiliates or subsidiaries. All Disney images © The Walt Disney Company. All information presented on this site is subject to change. Information presented on this site may not be reproduced without permission.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow the newest DVC resort looks wonderful! I do think that WDWMagic.com labeled the longhouse incorrectly since AllAroundOrlando.net shows a sign for Moorea before entering the building. I really like the video of the bungalow by AllAroundOrlando.

I also saw on Tikiman's Facebook page that the pool deck was being poured this morning.

My only disappointment with the Poly remodel is the fountain in the lobby. It is pretty but small and no water sound. I guess it will be easier to take photos and get a decent pic of the family and the Tiki on top.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by denlo; 03-25-2015 at 08:10 AM.
    --Denise

Scheduled upcoming Disney trips:

11/27-12/14/18 AKV Kidani Village
    2/19-2/22/19 - Bay Lake Tower
    3/10-3/14/19 - AKV Jambo House

Post Thanks / Like

I like the looks of both the villas and the bungalows. The colors are bright and vibrant but don't seem to overwhelm the rooms. I also like the artwork DVD has put on the walls.

Post Thanks / Like

Some of the pictures from those first floor Moorea rooms facing the lake aren't very appealing. Hoping the pictures toward the lake are not doing it justice. Otherwise, I suspect there will be a lot of complaints.

Those pictures remind me of BLT's lower floors. Sure, they could see the fireworks and a very small portion of MK. Eventually, DVD listened to the complaints and reclassified.
    How they could even handle something like this for a resort when they explicitly allow 35% of any room category to be sold as fixed weeks?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Disney has said pools not open until "mid-April"

Quote Originally Posted by denlo View Post
    Wow the newest DVC resort looks wonderful! I do think that WDWMagic.com labeled the longhouse incorrectly since AllAroundOrlando.net shows a sign for Moorea before entering the building. I really like the video of the bungalow by AllAroundOrlando.

I also saw on Tikiman's Facebook page that the pool deck was being poured this morning.

My only disappointment with the Poly remodel is the fountain in the lobby. It is pretty but small and no water sound. I guess it will be easier to take photos and get a decent pic of the family and the Tiki on top.
    Don't get too excited...Disney called us today and said pool won't be open until "mid-April", as their letter previously indicated.

As far as the lobby, people generally seem to like it once they see it in person.
    Quote Originally Posted by imdizfan View Post
    Some of the pictures from those first floor Moorea rooms facing the lake aren't very appealing. Hoping the pictures toward the lake are not doing it justice. Otherwise, I suspect there will be a lot of complaints.

Those pictures remind me of BLT's lower floors. Sure, they could see the fireworks and a very small portion of MK. Eventually, DVD listened to the complaints and reclassified.
    How they could even handle something like this for a resort when they explicitly allow 35% of any room category to be sold as fixed weeks?
    To be fair, that's why they got rid of theme park views -- it's lake view nothing more -- if you get a peekaboo view of the theme park it's a bonus. I don't think people will be upset as a result, but do think people will frantically try and figure out what rooms #s have the best views. I'm going to do some reconnaissance when I'm there to try and figure this out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rfc0001 View Post
    To be fair, that's why they got rid of theme park views -- it's lake view nothing more -- if you get a peekaboo view of the theme park it's a bonus. I don't think people will be upset as a result, but do think people will frantically try and figure out what rooms #s have the best views.
    Ahh, you must be new to the DVC discussion boards. If there is something to be upset about, we'll hear about it soon enough.

At Aulani, DVC makes it clear in both the POS documents and the point chart that the Ocean View villas may offer only partial views of the ocean. I am somewhat surprised that DVD hasn't borrowed that language for all subsequent resorts that offer multiple view categories.

Tikiman has another photo on his website that appears to show the view from what appears to be an upper floor Lake View studio. It was a very nice view of Seven Seas Lagoon and MK in the distance.

CarolMN is offline Enjoying This CHOICE Site
    Post Thanks / Like

I often wonder why Disney / DVC continues to describe some rooms with "view". That implies a view of something and raises expectations.

IMO, they missed an opportunity at the Poly. I would have labeled the rooms they are calling "lake view" as "lake side".

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CarolMN View Post
    I often wonder why Disney / DVC continues to describe some rooms with "view". That implies a view of something and raises expectations.

IMO, they missed an opportunity at the Poly. I would have labeled the rooms they are calling "lake view" as "lake side".
    I agree that the view labeling is misleading.

They could even have called them beach view and it would be better than lake view.

The part that makes me scratch my head is that they could have looked at the Poly rooms and opted for "Theme Park", Garden/pool, and standard (parking lot).
    I realize it's extra categories...
    36 standard view (parking lot) studios would have matched BLT's 10% standard view (when it opened).
    Make all 2nd and 3rd story Moorea rooms (that were Theme Park before) into Theme Park view.
    Rest of the rooms classify as Garden/Pool/Beach view.

Here's the one WDWMagic picture that makes it hard for me to call this lake view. I realize that this is not a full view, so it's possible looking to the right is better. Until people stay there or we see more pictures from the various rooms (now that the bungalows are there), it's too early to know for sure.
    http://www.wdwmagic.com/resorts/the-...udio/23767.htm

DVD/DVC can classify the rooms how they want. In the end, we will either accept that or not. We plan on many more trips to PVB, which is why we bought a small add-on there. Unless the lake view takes our breath away, I expect we will be booking standard view and requesting garden/pool view in 2016 and beyond.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by imdizfan View Post
    I agree that the view labeling is misleading.

They could even have called them beach view and it would be better than lake view.

The part that makes me scratch my head is that they could have looked at the Poly rooms and opted for "Theme Park", Garden/pool, and standard (parking lot).
    I realize it's extra categories...
    36 standard view (parking lot) studios would have matched BLT's 10% standard view (when it opened).
    Make all 2nd and 3rd story Moorea rooms (that were Theme Park before) into Theme Park view.
    Rest of the rooms classify as Garden/Pool/Beach view.

Here's the one WDWMagic picture that makes it hard for me to call this lake view. I realize that this is not a full view, so it's possible looking to the right is better. Until people stay there or we see more pictures from the various rooms (now that the bungalows are there), it's too early to know for sure.
    http://www.wdwmagic.com/resorts/the-...udio/23767.htm

DVD/DVC can classify the rooms how they want. In the end, we will either accept that or not. We plan on many more trips to PVB, which is why we bought a small add-on there. Unless the lake view takes our breath away, I expect we will be booking standard view and requesting garden/pool view in 2016 and beyond.
    I am glad they went with less view categories. People get so upset that their room is labeled one way or the other especially if they are paying extra points. Although standard views are booked quickly because members like the cheaper point cost per night, I still read folks complaining about the view from a standard view room.

I have never figured out what defines a view with Disney. Is it from the bed, or from the window or balcony door, or from the balcony itself? I just cannot figure it out and every one of us has a different opinion as to what it should be. My reaction to the photo in the link above, was "Wow, what a nice view. I bet they have a great view of the ferry boat dock and TTC from the patio." But then I wouldn't want a first floor room because of privacy issues.
    --Denise

Scheduled upcoming Disney trips:

11/27-12/14/18 AKV Kidani Village
    2/19-2/22/19 - Bay Lake Tower
    3/10-3/14/19 - AKV Jambo House

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by denlo View Post
    I am glad they went with less view categories. People get so upset that their room is labeled one way or the other especially if they are paying extra points. Although standard views are booked quickly because members like the cheaper point cost per night, I still read folks complaining about the view from a standard view room.

I have never figured out what defines a view with Disney. Is it from the bed, or from the window or balcony door, or from the balcony itself? I just cannot figure it out and every one of us has a different opinion as to what it should be. My reaction to the photo in the link above, was "Wow, what a nice view. I bet they have a great view of the ferry boat dock and TTC from the patio." But then I wouldn't want a first floor room because of privacy issues.
    I understand fewer booking categories being easier. I also understand some people will complain no matter what. Everyone likes different views. They could eliminate room requests and all views entirely, instead saying you get what we give you. That would be so much easier for the room assigner.
    I suspect it would only make life more difficult for CMs, because Genie is already out of his bottle and people expect requests and different views. The CMs in the lobby are the ones who end up dealing with rude guests who shout at the top of their lungs. When Tikiman posted that he bought enough points to make sure he wasn't stuck in a Pago Pago parking lot view, I immediately thought of those CMs.

BWV and BLT are great examples of 3 room categories working well. They even used the Theme Park and Standard views in their marketing, saying they would be difficult because it was 20% and 10% of the rooms.

BTW, here's a good quote from Tikiman (tikimanpages.com) of what Poly did in 2006 as far as views. I suspect that change made a few CMs smile. Very easy answer and not too many complaints. Notice, Disney also didn't mind because they earned more money.
    They took a group and went to every lagoon view room and stood in the middle of the room and if they could see the castle with nothing blocking any part of it, they designated it a Magic Kingdom view room. Now the price of these rooms was not the same as the lagoon view rooms. I thought that was odd because before when you were paying for a lagoon view room you were doing so expecting a view of the castle and now instead of reducing the cost of the rooms that they determined to have a blocked view and leaving the cost of the rooms that could see the castle (as expected) they increased the cost of the rooms with the view of the castle.