Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Monthly Sales Update: Sales jump in January

Post Thanks / Like

Default Monthly Sales Update: Sales jump in January

Following slow sales in December, Disney Vacation Club point sales rebounded in January 2014, with 202,117 points sold, an increase of 70.4% over the previous month. Sales for the Villas at Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa accounted for much of this improvement. Sales for this resort increased from 68,540 points in December '13 to 122,318 points in January '14.

View complete article
    This website is an unofficial publication regarding the Disney Vacation Club and is not affiliated in any way with Walt Disney World, The Walt Disney Company, the Disney Vacation Club, Disney Vacation Development, or any of their affiliates or subsidiaries. All Disney images © The Walt Disney Company. All information presented on this site is subject to change. Information presented on this site may not be reproduced without permission.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for compiling this data, as I find it very interesting.

Just wondering - are you still tracking the data for BLT? I would be curious to know how many points DVD still has available to sell at that resort.

Post Thanks / Like

DVC is increasing the price per point soon, right? I am wondering what the sales will look like after that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brad1972 View Post
    Thank you for compiling this data, as I find it very interesting.

Just wondering - are you still tracking the data for BLT? I would be curious to know how many points DVD still has available to sell at that resort.
    As of January 31, 2014, Disney Vacation Development still had about 12,251 points it could still sell to the general public. That number fluctuates up and down each month because DVD continues to reacquire BLT points via foreclosures, exercising its Right of First Refusal on resale transactions, and for other buyback reasons. In January 2014, DVD sold 5,330 BLT points and reacquired 2,620 BLT points, but there were some months in 2013 when DVD reacquired more points than it sold.

Quote Originally Posted by sssteph View Post
    DVC is increasing the price per point soon, right? I am wondering what the sales will look like after that.
    Probably not much different than what we see now. We joined the DVC in 2009 when the base price of BLT, AKV, and VGC were all set at $112 a point. Since then, prices have steadily risen but sales have continued to remain steady. As Brian Noble on the Disboards says "Timeshares are sold, not bought." As long as DVD offers the product, I think future sales will be much like in the past.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wdrl View Post
    As long as DVD offers the product, I think future sales will be much like in the past.
    Agree.

DVC's bread and butter (sales-wise) is buyers who are simply not aware of the resale option. Even at $150+ per point, it's very easy to demonstrate the long-term value of DVC ownership. It may not have the 7-8 year break-even we once saw but it's still just a fraction of the full 50-year contract length.

Consider the rest of the timeshare industry. Developers like Wyndham and Bluegreen are selling dozens of $20K timeshare contracts despite the fact that you can buy into those systems for virtually nothing. There are owners who will give away their contact on eBay just to be rid of the annual dues obligation. Either these owners don't travel as much as they thought, find that trading is more difficult than anticipated...a variety of reasons.

Even with that disparity in price--$0 to $20,000 or more--other developers are still doing quite well in the marketplace. DVC will, too.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Monthly Sales

Do you know when the Polynesian will begin selling? Do points prices typically spike when new resorts open?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Saviano3 View Post
    Do you know when the Polynesian will begin selling? Do points prices typically spike when new resorts open?
    No official word on when the DVC component at the Polynesian will open, much less when sales might begin. I've heard a rumor that the Poly DVC is about 17 months away from opening.

I suspect Disney will use a pricing strategy for the Poly much like it has used for the Villas at Grand Floridian. In May 2014, Disney started VGF sales by offering members an opening price of $145 a point. Then, after 30 days or so, it opened sales for everyone and raised the price to $150 a point. In February 2014, VGF's price was raised to $155 a point. In addition, Disney has not offered any incentives on VGF, not even a discount to Disney Cast Members. That strategy seems to be working for Disney, so it will probably use a similar strategy for the Poly.
    Last edited by denlo; 02-18-2014 at 05:24 AM. Reason: Typo

Post Thanks / Like

Does Disney still offer cast member discounts for the other DVC resorts?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MMC1 View Post
    Does Disney still offer cast member discounts for the other DVC resorts?
    I think so. In June 2013, while touring the VGF model at the DVC Preview Center, a Guide told us that Disney offered special discounts to Cast Members if they bought at AKV or Aulani, but not for VGF. But I don't know whether Disney offers CM discounts for the other resorts.