Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    DVCNews Debates: Non-DVC point usage 
    Using points for destinations outside of the eleven Disney Vacation Club resorts is generally regarded as a poor value. When comparing cash prices to DVC point costs, the value is not nearly as good for most destinations outside of the DVC program.

On the other hand, using DVC is typically cheaper than an all-cash stay. Since the commitment has already been made to buy into DVC, using points may be preferrable to paying additional dollars out of pocket for the occasional non-DVC trip.

Topic: What is your stance toward using points for trips outside of the 11 DVC resorts?

View complete article
    This website is an unofficial publication regarding the Disney Vacation Club and is not affiliated in any way with Walt Disney World, The Walt Disney Company, the Disney Vacation Club, Disney Vacation Development, or any of their affiliates or subsidiaries. All Disney images © The Walt Disney Company. All information presented on this site is subject to change. Information presented on this site may not be reproduced without permission.

2. Collapse Details

My DVC Home(s)
    Bay Lake Tower, Villas at Grand Californian, Saratoga Springs
    I am going to take another trip to Tokyo Disney Resort later this year and it will be my first time using points there. It seems like it is not nearly as bad of a deal as it would be using it for a cruise, for example.

The three Disney hotels in Japan are very, very pricey. On top of that, you have the poor exchange rate.

6 nights at the Tokyo DisneySea Hotel MiraCosta, which is what I want, would be $3,300. And that's the cheapest room. Or 360 Points and no $95 booking fee.

At this point I have not decided if I want to use all points, or pay a couple of nights in cash.
    Last edited by dizfan; 02-27-2012 at 12:05 AM.

3. Collapse Details

On the whole, I think renting points and doing a cash stay is the best way to pay for a something outside the system. I can see how exchange rates may gig that up though. For the most part though it looks like people are using points for DCL and ABD. In these cases it's much better to rent then pay cash.

4. Collapse Details

My DVC Home(s)
    BLT and AKV
    One of the REASONS I bought into the DVC was the opportunity to use points for trips/venues outside of the Vacation Club. I even calculated the number of points to buy based on what I would need for certain trips my wife and I wanted to take.

That being said, we are having too much fun using the points for DVC properties to have them left over for the trips! Of course, we haven't been members for long, but someday...

5. Collapse Details

My DVC Home(s)
    BLT, AKV, ADR
    I used to always think that the smart way was to only use your points for your DVC resorts. But now I'm thinking that if a member wants to use their points to take a cruise, stay at Tokyo Disneyland or Paris, why not? Sure the member might make some money renting out their points realizing they will have to schedule the renter's reservation and the worries of being an owner with an unknown renter. I'm not sure I want to bother with renters. How responsible are they, will they destroy the villa and then we could be responsible for repairs? Will they be the type of renter that changes their plans every few weeks. Yikes, I'm not sure I would be comfortable renting out my points even though many do it successfully without problems. But by using the points yourself you might find yourself doing trips you never thought possible.

But of course we'd have to be willing to give up a trip to WDW to go somewhere else. Hmmm, I'm not sure we're ready for that.
    Last edited by denlo; 02-27-2012 at 09:56 AM. Reason: typo
    --Denise

6. Collapse Details

My DVC Home(s)
    SS & BLT
    I use point for non-DVC vacations for several reasons.
    1. If I'm going on a non-Disney vacation I'm not planning to go to WDW
    2. Why should I pay out cash for a vacation when I can use the points.
    3. Renting - renters??? and the fact I would have to claim the money as income on my taxes.

For some vacations I end up saving money by using points instead of cash for example:
    We are going on a 12 night Med cruise with DCL (using points) we have a category 9A room. The cast of the cruise would be $8,955.30. Cash value of point $6,716.44 a savings of $2,238.86

Here is how I did my numbers (total number of points for the cruise 1138)

600 point (use year 2012)

300 pt at SSR ($74 a point over 50 years = $1.48 a point each year) $444
    150 pt st SSR ($84 a point over 48 years = $1.75 a point each year) $262.50
    50 pt at BLT ($96 a point over 50 years = $1.92 a point each year) $96
    100 pt at BLT ($98 a point over 50 years = $1.96 a point each year) $98
    condo fees for 2012 = $2,640

538 point (use year 2013)
    238 pt at SSR ($74 a point over 50 years = $1.48 a point each year) $352.24
    condo fees for 2012 = $2,367.20 (based on the points I used)

Keep in mind that I savings from one vacation maybe canceled out by other vacation. But in the end I break-even
    Last edited by moneyhappy; 02-27-2012 at 02:49 PM.

7. Collapse Details

My DVC Home(s)
    VGC + HHI
    I do agree that it is often less expensive to pay cash than to trade out the points. However, when I made my initial DVC purchase, I didn't know that and I bought to use for all the different things.

I still think of owning any type of timeshare or vacation club as vacation insurance. So, I will use my points in whatever way best serves that original goal. Before I got into timesharing, we really do much vacationing.

8. Collapse Details

My DVC Home(s)
    SSR
    For the past two years I have used points at Tokyo Disney and Hong Kong Disney. I plan on going back to Hong Kong Disney this year. My family and I have been stationed in Korea for 2.5 years and we have another year to go. Using the points to go to Disney, just not WDW or DL, has been great for us. It ensures we take a vacation, which we might not have done if we didn't have the points. It also saves me boat loads compared to flying to California or Florida. So, yes, I could have rented my points then paid for the rooms and made a little money. But overall, I have been extremely happy with the convenience of my "forced vacationing" while away from the states.

9. Collapse Details

My DVC Home(s)
    SSR, BLT
    I've been thinking more of using our points in more creative ways. Yeah, may not be best value but at the end of the day it does make it easy on the wallet. Right now we have tentative plans to travel to Europe for 10 days--2 weeks every winter, and will probably though sell back the majority of our points to Daddio to help with airfare, expenses, etc.

I have been to WDW over 50+ times (former FL resident), I am excited about seeing the rest of the world for a few years. I am glad my membership can be flexible for traveling outside of the bubble.
    The pain of discipline is far less than the pain of regret~Sarah Bombell
    Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway. ~Earl Nightingale

10. Collapse Details

My DVC Home(s)
    Saratoga Springs and Bay Lake Tower
    Quote Originally Posted by moneyhappy View Post
    I use point for non-DVC vacations for several reasons.
    1. If I'm going on a non-Disney vacation I'm not planning to go to WDW
    2. Why should I pay out cash for a vacation when I can use the points.
    3. Renting - renters??? and the fact I would have to claim the money as income on my taxes.

For some vacations I end up saving money by using points instead of cash for example:
    We are going on a 12 night Med cruise with DCL (using points) we have a category 9A room. The cast of the cruise would be $8,955.30. Cash value of point $6,716.44 a savings of $2,238.86

Here is how I did my numbers (total number of points for the cruise 1138)

600 point (use year 2012)

300 pt at SSR ($74 a point over 50 years = $1.48 a point each year) $444
    condo fees for 2012 = $2,640

538 point (use year 2013)
    238 pt at SSR ($74 a point over 50 years = $1.48 a point each year) $352.24
    condo fees for 2012 = $2,367.20 (based on the points I used)

Keep in mind that I savings from one vacation maybe canceled out by other vacation. But in the end I break-even
    This is my thinking as well. I really don't want to rent out my points either. Just adds more to it. If the cost of my dues is less than what I would pay cash then I use the points.