Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Fantasy Land @ WDW?

Post Thanks / Like

Default New Fantasy Land @ WDW?

Saw this over at Orlando Sentinel and thought I would copy & paste for all:

Yes, the Internet is abuzz with the (alleged) blueprint for an expansion of Fantasyland at Magic Kingdom (We first saw them at the Soft-Opening side of the Disney Report site.) Truth be told, it launched discussion here at Theme Park Rangers World Headquarters as well.
    Whether this is approved or pie-in-blue-sky or jumping-off-spot or trial balloon or just plain (very elaborate) ruse, it's still fun to talk about. (Disney, for their part, as usual, doesn't officially comment on rumor or speculation. But lets!).
    Blow up the image above and orient yourself. Cinderella Castle is not shown -- it would be off to the bottom-left, but the round thing in the corner is Cinderella's Carrousel. The round image center-bottom is Wild Tea Party, and you can see the Indy Race Car track to the right of that.
    This graphic puts a New Fantasyland atop the old structure, moves a few things and prompts a bunch of questions. Here are a few things we tossed about:
    + What does this mean to Mickey and Minnie's houses in Toon Town? Homeless? How does Barnstormer fit into these plans?
    + The idea of Dueling Dumbo rides (upper right) is fun ... but why are two areas designated "DUMBO"?
    + Like much of Disney in the 21st century, it's princess-heavy, noting a Cinderella attraction, an Aurora attraction and big Little Mermaid attraction (dig that lower-intestine-style queue!).
    + We like the idea of a Be Our Guest restaurant, especially if it's decorated with dancing plates and utensils. But we don't believe for a second that Gaston's Tavern would serve anything stronger than root beer.
    + The area marked as "Castle Wall"? What the Tink? Hard to imagine separating the old homestead from Fantasyland, but maybe we're being too literal?
    + And what of the other current attractions such as "it's a small world" and Peter Pan? That feels a little Lower Fantasyland right now.
    + Reason to believe: something HAS to be in the works somewhere, right? At this point in time, there's no announced projects for any of the Disney World parks (we're not counting Space Mountain revamp until they're more specific). And there is the matter of a whole handful of Harry Potter scheduled to open next year at Universal's Islands of Adventure.
    + Reason to believe, part 2: Ranger Matt points out that it reminds one of the Disneyland Hong Kong style: lots of gardens to walk around in, lots of characters to meet.
    + But what would boys do back there?

Anyone think there is any truth to this or what?
    1988 - First Trip to Disney World
    2006 - Proposed In Front of Cinderella's Castle
    2007 - Married at Disney's Boardwalk
    Resort
    2009 - New Owner of Bay Lake Tower
    2010 - First Trip to Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

Toontown is supposed to be demolished, and the Barnstormer is getting a Cheshire Cat theme. In fact, there's supposed to be a whole Alice section.

It's planned for the 40th anniversary of the Magic Kingdom, so everything should be in place by October 2011.

And it's been greenlit (according to a Cast Member I know).

And Stitch's Great Escape is going away, and the Tiki Room won't be under new management any more. It's going to get the Stitch theme from Tokyo Disneyland. And Aladdin's Flying Carpets are also going away (they're going to use the parts to build the dueling Dumbos).
    ~~~~~~
    --Rita
    “Around here, however, we don’t look backwards for very long. We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things… and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.” - Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

This looks great!
    John

MOD51 & NDD #3 -- Geaux Tigers!

Need a DVC Referral? Send me a PM or e-mail, I'd be glad to help.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's definitely a Disney creation. If not, I'm sure Disney would have at least denied creating it rather than resorting to "no comment."

Whether or not it's the finished product is the real question. This could be just one of dozens of designs. Although I doubt they would have gone into such great detail for a pie-in-the-sky design. Initial concepts would have been outlined with much less detail.

Still until Disney announces it, I'll retain a little skepticism. This is a pretty significant investment and it addresses just one of the four theme parks. Epcot and DAK haven't opened a new attraction for 2+ years. Plus there are persistent rumors of the Monster's Inc coaster and Star Tours 2 at DHS.

MK could certainly use this enhancement so my fingers are crossed!

Post Thanks / Like

Ohhhh please not more Stitch. It's bad enough they messed up the original Tiki Room.

But if Stitch's great escape goes away I will celebrate that.

It should be interesting to see how this plays out.
    Mar' (Mar' does NOT rhyme with Car, it's short for Marilyn)
    First trip 1973, BWV Owner 8/04, Homeowner in Davenport, FL 7/13

I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up, Not Me!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ghost1000 View Post
    Toontown is supposed to be demolished, and the Barnstormer is getting a Cheshire Cat theme. In fact, there's supposed to be a whole Alice section.
    And Stitch's Great Escape is going away, and the Tiki Room won't be under new management any more. It's going to get the Stitch theme from Tokyo Disneyland. And Aladdin's Flying Carpets are also going away (they're going to use the parts to build the dueling Dumbos).
    Toontown wouldn't be a big loss to me, and the Chesire Cat could be cool. I LIKE Tiki Room UNM so that would be upsetting, but the only thing constant in life is change I suppose. SGE and AFC going bye-bye would be fine with me also.

I'm really interested in the possability of Star Tours 2. That would probably ROCK!
    -Craig (I'm D23 since day one! {but I am NOT their DG or affiliated with the DG site...})
    Running Disney: Go Peacocks!
    |=> Mouse House trips:: WDW: 21 times °O° DL: 4 °O° DLP: Pending! <=|
    [All except my first 11 FL & 1 CA have been with my DW Elizabeth (aka "E"); she may be less geeky but humors me well! ]

Post Thanks / Like

I'm having a little trouble seeing how it would fit (size-wise) into the MK. I know there is currently a bunch of wasted space (IMO) on character meet and greet since they took 20,000 Leagues out (). And (even though I find it detestable, it is a classic) where is IASW?

If there really is going to be an overhaul of Fantasyland, I hope they will add more slow, dark rides like Snow White or Peter Pan (or like Alice in Wonderland at DLR).
    Sophia: “The race was underway. I start off slow. I’m cagey, like a panther, but when the time is right I pounce! The crowd is on its feet: ‘Sophia! Sophia!’ I could see the finish line; it was only 200-300 yds away. And then, it happened—what every runner dreads. I hit the wall.”

Dorothy: “Ah, ma, you ran out of steam?”

Sophia: “No, I actually hit a wall. They put up a new Wendy’s on Collins Ave.”

-The Golden Girls, Season 2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MatterhornMiss View Post
    And (even though I find it detestable, it is a classic) where is IASW?
    I'm pretty sure it's a small world would be off the blueprint to the left. DW would be crushed if they took it out, she's loved it since her first Disney trip and we always try and ride it at least once for her!!!
    -Craig (I'm D23 since day one! {but I am NOT their DG or affiliated with the DG site...})
    Running Disney: Go Peacocks!
    |=> Mouse House trips:: WDW: 21 times °O° DL: 4 °O° DLP: Pending! <=|
    [All except my first 11 FL & 1 CA have been with my DW Elizabeth (aka "E"); she may be less geeky but humors me well! ]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post
    I'm pretty sure it's a small world would be off the blueprint to the left. DW would be crushed if they took it out, she's loved it since her first Disney trip and we always try and ride it at least once for her!!!
    I think you are right, on the bottom left of the map is Pinochio's Village Haus,
    and PPF is across from that. This is like Fantasyland Heights.

Nick

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MatterhornMiss View Post
    I'm having a little trouble seeing how it would fit (size-wise) into the MK.
    Most of it will be built backstage.
    ~~~~~~
    --Rita
    “Around here, however, we don’t look backwards for very long. We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things… and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.” - Walt Disney