1. Collapse Details
    11 vs. 7 month booking window 
    My DVC Home(s)
    Bay Lake Tower, Animal Kingdom Lodge
    My DH was wondering if anyone here has ever had any trouble booking at their home resort 11 months out. Also is it difficult to book at resorts 7 months out? If so what resorts are tough to get into?

We are not looking to book Christmas, Thanksgiving or Spring break just to give you some more info.

Thanks in advance for any help.
    Proud owner of a new "home" in Disney (BLT)! Trip # 16 Caribbean Beach/AKL-Kidani July 30-August 9, 2010!

2. Collapse Details

My DVC Home(s)
    BLT, BWV, VGF
    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGirl119 View Post
    My DH was wondering if anyone here has ever had any trouble booking at their home resort 11 months out. Also is it difficult to book at resorts 7 months out? If so what resorts are tough to get into?
    I've never had trouble booking my home resort(s) 11 months out.
    My Disney photos on Flickr

My DVC Home Resorts: Bay Lake Tower, Boardwalk Villas, and Villas at the Grand Floridian

3. Collapse Details

My DVC Home(s)
    Animal Kingdom Villas
    I was wondering this also. I bought in Jan. and used developer points for this past trip. I am going to be calling for ressies soon for our August 2010 trip and wanted to do maybe a studio concierge, not sure if I would have trouble getting that.
    Jan. 1996 Carribean Beach Resort
    July 1999 Carribean Beach Resort
    Oct. 2000 Carribean Beach Resort
    Aug. 2005 off site
    Aug. 2006 Pop Century
    Aug. 2007 Old Key West
    Aug. 2009 Saratoga Springs
    Aug. 2010 AKV concierge level
    Aug. 2011 Bay Lake Tower Lake View
    Feb. 2012 Bay Lake Tower Lake View
    Aug. 2012 AKV concierge level

4. Collapse Details

My DVC Home(s)
    AKV, VGC
    I have had problems at 11 months once. That was for my Dec '08 trip. I waited until the 11 month point for the end of my trip (this was before the booking rules changed) to make my reservation so that I could book the entire trip at once. When I did that, there was 1 night in the middle that I had to go on the waitlist for. At 7 months, that waitlist still hadn't come through, however, at that point I moved the trip to another resort (actually 2 resorts SSR & OKW) so that I could get the entire trip covered. Eventually, I was able to move all but 2 nights to BCV and BWV.
    Upcoming trips: Aug 12 family trip to AKV

5. Collapse Details

My DVC Home(s)
    Boardwalk Villas
    I've never had an issue booking for the class of room I wanted 11 months out (home resort is BWV w/ stan vs. pref views). But if I tried for a standard view 9 months out, I needed to be more flexible w/ my dates or just shell out the extra points for the preferred view.

6. Collapse Details

My DVC Home(s)
    BWV
    A lot depends on when you're trying to book. If you want to stay at BWV (especially standard or Guaranteed BW views) during F&W or anytime in the month of December it's best to book it 11 months out. Both are "hot" times to visit WDW and both are low points DVC-wise during those times. If you want to stay there in August more than likely you can get in easily at the 7 month window.

Non epcot resorts are easier to get ressies at around F&W time, compared to BWV and BCV, but the month of December is tough all over. If you want to book during December and you wait til 7 months out you may have no availablity at any of the DVC resorts.

One more factor--if you're looking to book any of the Grand Villas 11 months out is usually necessary. Same for most of the standard view rooms at BWV, as they are less points but you still have that great location.

I am sure I left something out. As you can see there are multiple factors that affect the booking windows. What most people do when they want to stay somehwere other than their home resort is book the home resort at 11 months, and then attempt to switch to another DVC resort when the 7 month window opens. If they can't get the change they can waitlist. But if nothing comes through there is always the original ressie booked at 11 months, so you're guaranteed to be going to WDW. That's why it's always good to buy where you want to stay. If you can plan well, you'll just about never have an issue booking your home resort 11 months out.
    Last edited by idratherbeinwdw; 08-24-2009 at 04:38 PM.
    Mar' (Mar' does NOT rhyme with Car, it's short for Marilyn)
    First trip 1973, BWV Owner 8/04, Homeowner in Davenport, FL 7/13

I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up, Not Me!

7. Collapse Details

My DVC Home(s)
    Bay Lake Tower, Animal Kingdom Lodge
    Thanks everyone for the info. It really helps. DH and I are looking to book for 2010 soon. Hopefully booking at AKL for Aug. and BLT for Nov.
    Proud owner of a new "home" in Disney (BLT)! Trip # 16 Caribbean Beach/AKL-Kidani July 30-August 9, 2010!