Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Use Year Distribution Charts (Updated February 2018)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Use Year Distribution Charts (Updated February 2018)

With sales of Disney’s Polynesian Villas & Bungalows effectively wrapped-up and two declarations complete for Copper Creek Villas & Cabins at Disney’s Wilderness Lodge, now seems like an opportune time to update our charts showing the distribution of Disney Vacation Club points across the eight Use Years for select properties.

View complete article
    This website is an unofficial publication regarding the Disney Vacation Club and is not affiliated in any way with Walt Disney World, The Walt Disney Company, the Disney Vacation Club, Disney Vacation Development, or any of their affiliates or subsidiaries. All Disney images The Walt Disney Company. All information presented on this site is subject to change. Information presented on this site may not be reproduced without permission.

Post Thanks / Like

For some reason, Disney seems to assign fewer points to the March and September Use Years.

When it markets a new resort, like Copper Creek, Disney offers new buyers points from a specific Use Year. Generally, the "Use Year du jour" is about four to months in the past. So, for people buying Copper Creek in December 2017 and January 2018 have been offered points from the August 2017 Use Year. New buyers could ask for a different UY, but usually they don't know that they could request another UY.

Fairly soon, I expect Disney to change to Use Year du jour it offers to current new buyers from August to October or maybe December. I would be shocked if Disney offered September to the majority of its new buyers.

Post Thanks / Like

Use year didn't seem to matter to us from managing it annually so we took what we were given. But it makes it considerably harder to get resale contracts if you want to keep the same use year and you have one of the lower volume months.
    Once again I arrived at the same old conclusion: Gonna need more points!

Post Thanks / Like

We didn't realize we had choices on UY. We have bought points 4 times, and for 4 different resorts (two direct, two resale) and we have two account numbers and two UY's and somehow one direct and one resale falls under each. While it might be confusing on managing them, it does give us two different 11 month windows which is nice. We also try to book @4 trips a year, and just use one resorts points for each trip. If I could change once facet of using points, it would be the ability to "move" points. Like take 300 AK points (which were great when the kids we young) but now not so much - I would love to "move" them to a different resort - but the only way to do so would be to sell them and buy more - which might not be too bad given the resale market. Maybe there should be a "trade" site - where one person has points you want and vice versa. I will trade you my AK points for your BW points! Sure, paperwork and so forth...but?????

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dan58diz View Post
    We didn't realize we had choices on UY. We have bought points 4 times, and for 4 different resorts (two direct, two resale) and we have two account numbers and two UY's and somehow one direct and one resale falls under each. While it might be confusing on managing them, it does give us two different 11 month windows which is nice. We also try to book @4 trips a year, and just use one resorts points for each trip. If I could change once facet of using points, it would be the ability to "move" points. Like take 300 AK points (which were great when the kids we young) but now not so much - I would love to "move" them to a different resort - but the only way to do so would be to sell them and buy more - which might not be too bad given the resale market. Maybe there should be a "trade" site - where one person has points you want and vice versa. I will trade you my AK points for your BW points! Sure, paperwork and so forth...but?????
    Trading does sound good, but since we are restricted to one transfer per year, you can only transfer in or out once each UY and are stuck renting the points to/from the other person. Since you have two UYs it might work for you, but the not the other person.

For future reference, renting points and advertising trades are not permitted on the DVC News. Other websites have rental sites, like the DISBoards (fee involved) and MouseOwners.
    --Denise

Scheduled upcoming Disney trips:

11/27-12/14/18 AKV Kidani Village
    2/19-2/22/19 - Bay Lake Tower
    3/10-3/14/19 - AKV Jambo House

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Use Year Distribution Charts (Updated February 2018)

Quote Originally Posted by dan58diz
    I think you might have some confusion...Use Year has nothing to do with your 11 month booking window, Use Year only impacts which points are used when you book at 11 months.

Post Thanks / Like

Actually your home resort you are booking determines what points you use at the 11 month mark. You can use banked points, current year points and borrowed points at both the 11 and 7 month marks. The points for the 11 month mark must be from the home resort you are booking.

Here is a good definition of a use year.

What is a Use Year? http://dvcnews.com/index.php/dvc-pro...-for-beginners

The Use Year is simply the 12-month period over which an owner can USE his/her points.
    Every DVC contract has an assigned Use Year. An owner with a February Use Year will receive 2017 points on February 1, 2017. They are valid for stays from 2/1/2017 through 1/31/2018.
    An owner with a June Use Year can use the 2017 points for stays between 6/1/2017 and 5/31/2018.
    No one Use Year is inherenly better than another. However common wisdom states that the best Use Year for an individual is one which immediately precedes dates on which they typically travel. An owner who frequently visits during summer months may want to buy a June Use Year. An owner who takes frequent fall trips should consider September or October.
    Selecting a Use Year which precedes frequent travel dates allows for maximum flexibility in the event of a cancellation. The points would not be in danger of expiring, thus allowing for a reschedule or banking of the points.

Potential owners who travel during many different times of the year will probably not see a benefit in one Use Year over another.
    UY most often comes into play when you are cancelling a reservation after the banking deadline because you have to use those points before they expire.
    --Denise

Scheduled upcoming Disney trips:

11/27-12/14/18 AKV Kidani Village
    2/19-2/22/19 - Bay Lake Tower
    3/10-3/14/19 - AKV Jambo House