Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Buying resale + thru Disney directly?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Buying resale + thru Disney directly?

Hi all,

New here so my apologies if this has been asked already. Wife and I just started looking into DVC purchase and like the prices on the resale market. We're aware we don't get any of the "perks" with resales like discounts, no cruises, etc., but thought to came to if it would be possible to say get 200 points on the resale market and then get 25 points through Disney directly to get those perks? If Disney offers that low of a point total for purchase. I read one on other Disney news site that this is a possibility. The perks are not a huge deal to us but if we can do it in this fashion they may not be bad to have.

If something like that is possible would that mean two separate DVC accounts or would they be added to the resale account thus activating the "perks"?

Thanks,
    Jay

Post Thanks / Like

Until 2/24/2018, you would be able to add-on 25 points direct and qualify for perks. Beginning 2/25/2018, DVC is upping the minimum for perks to 75 points direct.

http://dvcnews.com/index.php/dvc-pro...imum-for-perks

If you add-on direct, it will fall under your existing membership as a sub-contract.
    Michael

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you the reply and link. Doesn't look like timing will work for 25 points direct but good to know there is that option.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wolf29 View Post
    Thank you the reply and link. Doesn't look like timing will work for 25 points direct but good to know there is that option.
    Also, even though you’d qualify for certain perks like discounts and members parties by buying some points direct, any points bought resale still wouldn’t qualify to be used for Disney Cruises and what Disney calls their Concierge Collection. You wouldn’t be able to combine your direct and resale points for those bookings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Good to know. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a question someone can help me with - hopefully. My Ex and I continue to share the DVC membership we purchased in 2001. If I purchase a new separate contract through resale, can I use my current DVC membership card to enjoy all the perks while using my new resale points? At this point, I would probably now mix the points of my old contract and new during any one stay.
    Thank you

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Out in CA View Post
    I have a question someone can help me with - hopefully. My Ex and I continue to share the DVC membership we purchased in 2001. If I purchase a new separate contract through resale, can I use my current DVC membership card to enjoy all the perks while using my new resale points? At this point, I would probably now mix the points of my old contract and new during any one stay.
    Thank you
    As long as you continue to own the original contract, yes. However, you won’t be able to use the resale contract for Disney Cruises and Concierge Collection, just the points from your original contract. You can combine your direct and resale points for DVC and RCI though. Same rules still apply for the 11 month and 7 month window, so if you buy a resale that’s a different resort than your direct, you can’t combine points till the 7 month window. If they are the same resort then they can be combined at 11 month’s. If they are the same Use year, you’ll retain the same member number as your original contract. If they are different use years, you’ll be issued another member number for the resale contract, but that applies for all contracts resale or direct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

If you purchase a new deed that is titled differently than the deed you and your ex currently own, then it will be in a separate account with a different membership number. You will end up with two different membership cards: the first one will have all the rights and privileges, while the second one will have all of the resale restrictions.

As long as you retain your original deed you will enjoy all the Membership Extras perks. If you ever get rid of it, then you will lose them because your resale deed has the restrictions.

If you intend to mix the points to fund a single stay, then you will have to do one of two things: Either transfer the points from one account into the other and then make the reservation; or use the points from one account to book part of the stay and then use the points from the other account to book the rest of the stay. If you choose option two then you will need to have Member Services link the two reservations if you want to stay in the same villa for the entire stay.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by graydogg51 View Post
    If they are the same Use year, you’ll retain the same member number as your original contract.
    But only if the two deeds are titled exactly the same way. If they aren't, then it will require that a new membership account be established.