Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DVCNews Debates: Perks Minimum

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default DVCNews Debates: Perks Minimum

In 2016, Disney Vacation Club decreed that future members must own some number of direact-purchase points in order to benefit from a wide slate of member perks. Now comes word that DVC will soon implement a minimum threshold of 75 direct points for those same perks. Among the perks subject to this restriction are annual pass and other ticket discounts, admission to the free Moonlight Madness events, 20% savings on Disney merchandise, dozens of restaurant discounts and more.

Topic: Is it fair for DVC to add these restrictions, excluding owners with only cheaper resale points?

View complete article
    This website is an unofficial publication regarding the Disney Vacation Club and is not affiliated in any way with Walt Disney World, The Walt Disney Company, the Disney Vacation Club, Disney Vacation Development, or any of their affiliates or subsidiaries. All Disney images © The Walt Disney Company. All information presented on this site is subject to change. Information presented on this site may not be reproduced without permission.

2. Likes UseTheForce liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think this is one of the Tit4Tat deals. Disney dings the resale point market, resale buyers respond with 25 point direct sale add to get the perks, DVC responds with the 75 point min.

Years ago people would buy one child AP and it had all the same discounts as an adult. Disney did away with the child AP. Why they didn't just remove the perks from the child AP....

The end game for DVC is to continue dinging resale buyers. They will never make it go away, but a certain percentage will decide to go Direct and that's a big win for DVC.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KNWVIKING 2.0 View Post
    The end game for DVC is to continue dinging resale buyers. They will never make it go away, but a certain percentage will decide to go Direct and that's a big win for DVC.
    The thing of it is, the resale value is an important part of why they can charge so much.

I would never have bought into a timeshare at all without it having a robust resale market. I've heard far, far too many horror stories of timeshare owners who wanted out for whatever reason, but there was no way they could resell at any price, much less one that meant they didn't lose too much money. The fact that there was an out if my wife and I decided that it wasn't working for us, or that our needs had changed, was utterly essential to us.

(As it turns out, I could resell now at a 50% markup above what I paid just a few years ago. But even if it hadn't gone up, I'd be content had it stayed level.)
    [WDW visits: DxL 1/98, VWL 1/03, WL 6/03, VWL 1/08, BWV 1/13, BCV 1/16, POFQ 4/17, BCV 1/19]
    [DL visits: 7/90, 11/93, 11/94, 11/95, 6/96, 11/96, 11/97, 11/99, 12/00, 8/01, 1/06, 2/08, 2/12, 6/14, VGC 7/16, DLH/VGC 1/17]
    [Family: me46, wife46, daughter19, son17, son13]
    [Races: 2016 WDW 10k, 2017 SW Light Side Rebel Challenge, 2017 SW Dark Side Half]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kazrak View Post
    The thing of it is, the resale value is an important part of why they can charge so much.
    I think Direct Sale pricing is driving Resale prices up, not the other way around. If anything, the cheap resale market would discourage raising prices by DVC.

Personally, I think we over estimate the number of people that research a DVC purchase to the "nth" degree. They just throw the money down and ask how fast can I get my membership card. I've come to the conclusion there is a vast number of people in this country with levels of discretionary income that I'll never comprehend and they will throw it at the Mouse like drunken sailors.

Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I think we over estimate the number of people that research a DVC purchase to the "nth" degree. They just throw the money down and ask how fast can I get my membership card. I've come to the conclusion there is a vast number of people in this country with levels of discretionary income that I'll never comprehend and they will throw it at the Mouse like drunken sailors.
    That I will certainly agree with. We overestimate the number of people who research a WDW trip at all. I've had friends say things like, "Hey, I'm thinking about going to Disney[1] in early August[2], can anybody sell[3] me some DVC points?" And that one's more put-together than most.

1: WDW is just "Disney". There is no Disney beyond WDW, apparently.
    2: They usually ask this around late June. First-week-of-August availability is, shall we say, limited by then.
    3: They mean rent.
    [WDW visits: DxL 1/98, VWL 1/03, WL 6/03, VWL 1/08, BWV 1/13, BCV 1/16, POFQ 4/17, BCV 1/19]
    [DL visits: 7/90, 11/93, 11/94, 11/95, 6/96, 11/96, 11/97, 11/99, 12/00, 8/01, 1/06, 2/08, 2/12, 6/14, VGC 7/16, DLH/VGC 1/17]
    [Races: 2016 WDW 10k, 2017 SW Light Side Rebel Challenge, 2017 SW Dark Side Half]

Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I think we over estimate the number of people that research a DVC purchase to the "nth" degree.
    I know anecdotes aren't data, but this is me! Being in Northern California, it never dawned on me to join DVC when I saw the kiosks and advertising stands in Downtown Disney or in Disneyland or California Adventure. I didn't think of joining when I got married either. It wasn't until my wife and I went to Disney World with our then 9 month old son in tow to meet up with her family that we joined DVC. We did no research other than the sales pitch. But it made sense for us then and I'm glad we did it.

The hook for us wasn't the resale market at all. Since we are older parents (I had my son when I was 44), leaving our contract to our son until I will/would have turned 92 was the biggest perk we looked at.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fred M View Post
    I know anecdotes aren't data, but this is me! Being in Northern California, it never dawned on me to join DVC when I saw the kiosks and advertising stands in Downtown Disney or in Disneyland or California Adventure. I didn't think of joining when I got married either. It wasn't until my wife and I went to Disney World with our then 9 month old son in tow to meet up with her family that we joined DVC. We did no research other than the sales pitch. But it made sense for us then and I'm glad we did it.

The hook for us wasn't the resale market at all. Since we are older parents (I had my son when I was 44), leaving our contract to our son until I will/would have turned 92 was the biggest perk we looked at.
    We have similar West Coast issues, so while it was tempting to buy, it wasn't a priority due to the additional cost of airfare. We rented points from friends several times, so we knew how it worked and what a deal it was, but we couldn't really afford to buy until fairly recently.

Since we bought resale, we probably aren't going to be able to pass anything on (we'll be about 70 when our contract expires) but we are planning on the idea that we can bring our grandkids there. And, when it expires...we'll see what the situation is then.

9. Likes Fred M liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Direct Sale pricing is driving Resale prices up, not the other way around. If anything, the cheap resale market would discourage raising prices by DVC.
    Yes!!! I can say for certainty that the direct sale pricing IS definitely driving resale prices up. We've been looking to add on for quite some time now, but the prices of resale contracts keep going up - jumping up by leaps and bounds. And usually they're stripped contracts. We finally threw in the towel and added on direct. Wasn't really that much more since we only wanted 50 points. And now we have our points without having to troll the resale sites daily and pray for the contract to pass ROFL.

I am happy that they're putting more restrictions on resale buyers. There is already so much competition for the perks such as Moonlight Magic that I appreciate Disney "rewarding" direct buyers with some advantages.
    - Lorie

11. Likes Fred M liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LGM59 View Post
    Yes!!! I can say for certainty that the direct sale pricing IS definitely driving resale prices up. We've been looking to add on for quite some time now, but the prices of resale contracts keep going up - jumping up by leaps and bounds.
    I think it's a bit of a vicious cycle. Disney raises prices, so resale prices jump, so Disney sees that they can raise direct prices more...

They're driving each other at this point.

13. Likes Fred M liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I am not sure fair has anything to do with it. We know DVC has the right to set minimums. What I don't care for is that they have created all these different levels of eligibility. Disney should be encouraging the resale market because it is helping to buoy the high prices they are selling the contracts. If people thought their contracts would not be worth much on the resale market, they wouldn't be willing to pay the excessively high prices. Next they will probably go with tier eligibility levels based on the number of points purchased direct. Which is just another way to alienate your base membership.

To me if you are a member you should get the same benefits without jumping through hoops to qualify. These requirements are not very magical.
    --Denise

Scheduled upcoming Disney trips:

11/30/17 - 12/14/17 - Bay Lake Tower at the Contemporary Resort
    03/01/18 - 03/08/18 - Copper Creek at the Wilderness Lodge