Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: DVCNews Debates: Perks Minimum

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KNWVIKING 2.0 View Post
    I think Direct Sale pricing is driving Resale prices up, not the other way around. If anything, the cheap resale market would discourage raising prices by DVC.
    Yes!!! I can say for certainty that the direct sale pricing IS definitely driving resale prices up. We've been looking to add on for quite some time now, but the prices of resale contracts keep going up - jumping up by leaps and bounds. And usually they're stripped contracts. We finally threw in the towel and added on direct. Wasn't really that much more since we only wanted 50 points. And now we have our points without having to troll the resale sites daily and pray for the contract to pass ROFL.

I am happy that they're putting more restrictions on resale buyers. There is already so much competition for the perks such as Moonlight Magic that I appreciate Disney "rewarding" direct buyers with some advantages.
    - Lorie

2. Likes Fred M liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LGM59 View Post
    Yes!!! I can say for certainty that the direct sale pricing IS definitely driving resale prices up. We've been looking to add on for quite some time now, but the prices of resale contracts keep going up - jumping up by leaps and bounds.
    I think it's a bit of a vicious cycle. Disney raises prices, so resale prices jump, so Disney sees that they can raise direct prices more...

They're driving each other at this point.
    [WDW visits: DxL 1/98, VWL 1/03, WL 6/03, VWL 1/08, BWV 1/13, BCV 1/16, POFQ 4/17, BCV 1/19]
    [DL visits: 7/90, 11/93, 11/94, 11/95, 6/96, 11/96, 11/97, 11/99, 12/00, 8/01, 1/06, 2/08, 2/12, 6/14, VGC 7/16, DLH/VGC 1/17]
    [Family: me46, wife46, daughter19, son17, son13]
    [Races: 2016 WDW 10k, 2017 SW Light Side Rebel Challenge, 2017 SW Dark Side Half]

4. Likes Fred M liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We bought in 1993 and sold (2005) on resale market because Disney didn't buy them back (like most timeshare companies)....that is how we found out about resales, and we then rebought in 2007--from the secondary market. This past summer we sold back over half our points again--NOT to Disney, tho they could easily have doubled their money based on their current rate... We pay the SAME DUES PER POINT, we BUY ADMISSION TICKETS, EAT AT RESTAURANTS, BUY SOUVENIRS....Just like full-price purchasers...THAT is how we buoy the Disney company....the CONTINUING DUES and the food-tix-etc. expenditures should be WAY more valuable to Disney than the one-time high price-per-point. We are grandfathered in, but considering, if we weren't, our savings per point would buy a LOT of NON-DISCOUNTED dinners, souvenirs, and Moonlight Magic free hot dogs....We bought points to go to WDW, not on a cruise, etc., so those perks don't matter to us anyway. I think if Disney HAD BOUGHT BACK their inventory, they could have kept the price per point lower all along, and kept more control of their timeshares without all this "goofy" classes of members.

Post Thanks / Like

I’m new to DVC. April 2017 we decided to buy in and went through the process at Saratoga. We informed our guide we wanted Boardwalk and were told we could only purchase at Aulani or Polynesian. No mention was made that we could, in fact, get Boardwalk if we would waitlist for it. So, we bought Polynesian direct, then went to resale to get Boardwalk points. I hope we will continue to be grandfathered for the perks since we took the only avenue to get Boardwalk points we thought was available at that time. With the squeezing of perk eligibility, I would hope the guides are more forthcoming or consistent with options for those who wish to purchase points other than the current new properties.

Post Thanks / Like

Perks or no - when we bought direct the guide acknowledged the resale market but felt with the existing incentives and contract length made direct buy in '08 the better deal. What the guide didn't acknowledge/mention was the ability to purchase existing venues. While the contract length would've been shorter, the reduce purchase price would've equaled the 'better deal', which is probably why it was not mentioned. After all, end of the day, we're not gonna touch at least 15 years of those contracts so either the kids will take the steps to inherit them or they'll walk away which to my way of thinking negates the deal of the longer length contact.

Janet & Dan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeod View Post
    I’m new to DVC. April 2017 we decided to buy in and went through the process at Saratoga. We informed our guide we wanted Boardwalk and were told we could only purchase at Aulani or Polynesian. No mention was made that we could, in fact, get Boardwalk if we would waitlist for it. So, we bought Polynesian direct, then went to resale to get Boardwalk points. I hope we will continue to be grandfathered for the perks since we took the only avenue to get Boardwalk points we thought was available at that time. With the squeezing of perk eligibility, I would hope the guides are more forthcoming or consistent with options for those who wish to purchase points other than the current new properties.
    You purchased direct for the Polynesian Villas and Bungalows so those points are still eligible for all Membership extras and you can book through Disney and Concierge Collections. Your resale points at the Boardwalk Villas are not eligible for booking through the Disney and Concierge Collections nor would they be eligible for the Disney Extras if you sold your PVB points.
    --Denise

Scheduled upcoming Disney trips:

11/30/17 - 12/14/17 - Bay Lake Tower at the Contemporary Resort
    03/01/18 - 03/08/18 - Copper Creek at the Wilderness Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by denlo View Post
    ...... nor would they be eligible for the Disney Extras if you sold your PVB points.
    So I own a 25 point at OKW and a large Resale at BW. I book one night at OKW and 13 nights at BW. At 7 month, I move OKW to BW and link the two ressies. Do I now have full rights to Disney Extras for 14 days?

Post Thanks / Like

So I own a 25 point at OKW and a large Resale at BW. I book one night at OKW and 13 nights at BW. At 7 month, I move OKW to BW and link the two ressies. Do I now have full rights to Disney Extras for 14 days?
    If you were a person who purchased after the new restrictions I would say the answer is no.

Janet & Dan

Post Thanks / Like

You purchased the 25 point direct purchase before the 75 point requirement goes into effect February 25, 2018. So you are grandfathered in and all of your points qualify for member magic for all dates of your vacation including purchasing a DVC annual pass. So you still would have member magic eligibility even if you kept your reservation at OKW.

Now if you sold your direct purchase points, your resale points by themselves would not be eligible for member magic benefits as you would no longer meet the requirement of owning direct purchase points. Then to qualify again after February 24, 2018 you would need to purchase 75 points direct.
    --Denise

Scheduled upcoming Disney trips:

11/30/17 - 12/14/17 - Bay Lake Tower at the Contemporary Resort
    03/01/18 - 03/08/18 - Copper Creek at the Wilderness Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

The Member Benefits aren't on a per-night basis, they're for the person. So you have access to discounted annual passes, shop discounts, etc. as long as you own the OKW points. You can go to the Member Lounge on any day of your stay.

If you sell the OKW points, and the BW resale points were bought after the cutoff, then you don't get any access to the Member Benefits. You need to currently own points that are eligible - either bought direct from Disney in sufficient quantity or bought resale before the cutoff.

I feel like I should draw up a flow chart for this. It's getting complicated.
    [WDW visits: DxL 1/98, VWL 1/03, WL 6/03, VWL 1/08, BWV 1/13, BCV 1/16, POFQ 4/17, BCV 1/19]
    [DL visits: 7/90, 11/93, 11/94, 11/95, 6/96, 11/96, 11/97, 11/99, 12/00, 8/01, 1/06, 2/08, 2/12, 6/14, VGC 7/16, DLH/VGC 1/17]
    [Family: me46, wife46, daughter19, son17, son13]
    [Races: 2016 WDW 10k, 2017 SW Light Side Rebel Challenge, 2017 SW Dark Side Half]