Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DVCNews Debates: Perks Minimum

Post Thanks / Like

Default DVCNews Debates: Perks Minimum

In 2016, Disney Vacation Club decreed that future members must own some number of direact-purchase points in order to benefit from a wide slate of member perks. Now comes word that DVC will soon implement a minimum threshold of 75 direct points for those same perks. Among the perks subject to this restriction are annual pass and other ticket discounts, admission to the free Moonlight Madness events, 20% savings on Disney merchandise, dozens of restaurant discounts and more.

Topic: Is it fair for DVC to add these restrictions, excluding owners with only cheaper resale points?

View complete article
    This website is an unofficial publication regarding the Disney Vacation Club and is not affiliated in any way with Walt Disney World, The Walt Disney Company, the Disney Vacation Club, Disney Vacation Development, or any of their affiliates or subsidiaries. All Disney images © The Walt Disney Company. All information presented on this site is subject to change. Information presented on this site may not be reproduced without permission.

2. Likes UseTheForce liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think this is one of the Tit4Tat deals. Disney dings the resale point market, resale buyers respond with 25 point direct sale add to get the perks, DVC responds with the 75 point min.

Years ago people would buy one child AP and it had all the same discounts as an adult. Disney did away with the child AP. Why they didn't just remove the perks from the child AP....

The end game for DVC is to continue dinging resale buyers. They will never make it go away, but a certain percentage will decide to go Direct and that's a big win for DVC.

Post Thanks / Like

I am not sure fair has anything to do with it. We know DVC has the right to set minimums. What I don't care for is that they have created all these different levels of eligibility. Disney should be encouraging the resale market because it is helping to buoy the high prices they are selling the contracts. If people thought their contracts would not be worth much on the resale market, they wouldn't be willing to pay the excessively high prices. Next they will probably go with tier eligibility levels based on the number of points purchased direct. Which is just another way to alienate your base membership.

To me if you are a member you should get the same benefits without jumping through hoops to qualify. These requirements are not very magical.
    --Denise

Scheduled upcoming Disney trips:

11/27-12/14/18 AKV Kidani Village
    2/19-2/22/19 - Bay Lake Tower
    3/10-3/14/19 - AKV Jambo House

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by denlo View Post
    Disney should be encouraging the resale market because it is helping to buoy the high prices they are selling the contracts.
    Is it?

Many timeshares are virtually worthless when trying to re-sell, but developers continue to be successful in marketing direct. Do you really think your run-of-the-mill, moderately informed buyer who attends a DVC sales pitch gives any consideration to resale value?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TimK View Post
    Is it?

Many timeshares are virtually worthless when trying to re-sell, but developers continue to be successful in marketing direct. Do you really think your run-of-the-mill, moderately informed buyer who attends a DVC sales pitch gives any consideration to resale value?
    Hmmm, moderately informed, no. Although why wouldn't you research something that costs so much, especially in this day and age of internet right on your phone.
    --Denise

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm, moderately informed, no. Although why wouldn't you research something that costs so much, especially in this day and age of internet right on your phone.
    One would think, but again you can buy into timeshare systems like Bluegreen, Starwood and Westgate for pennies on the dollar, but they continue to sell new resorts at five-figure purchase prices.

It's difficult to put myself in the shoes of a person who buys direct today. Given the way Disney hotel rates have risen, it's still easy to market DVC as an affordable alternative. Honestly I'm forced to conclude that MOST direct buyers have zero knowledge of the resale market. That they hear the pitch, determine they can afford the monthly payments, and don't even question the finer points. Getting a Copper Creek studio for 1/2 to 1/3 of their Deluxe room rate...or upgrade to One Bedroom for similar dollars...is enough to compel people to take the plunge.

Post Thanks / Like

To me if you are a member you should get the same benefits without jumping through hoops to qualify. These requirements are not very magical.
    I disagree. If I buy a car from auto trader the manufacturor isnt going to honor the warranty. Its been discussed many times that when you buy dvc you are only guranteed the right to book a room. Everything else is revokable. DVC could easily crush the resale market but dont. They recognize its value but lose money everytime someone buys resale (not on the points sold but on the new buyer not buying direct)

On a side note i imagine that whether tbey sell 1 pt or a 1million pt contract the paperwork and time is the same. Maybe the sales agents were overloaded with these minimal contracts and DVc wanted to ensure the direct purchases were worth their time. Just specation.
    WDW - POFQ, CS, ASM, BLT, OKW, VWL, AKL - (9 trips)
    DL - 4 trips
    DCL - 2 cruises
    Aulani - 3 trips

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mkeef View Post
    I disagree. If I buy a car from auto trader the manufacturor isnt going to honor the warranty. Its been discussed many times that when you buy dvc you are only guranteed the right to book a room. Everything else is revokable. DVC could easily crush the resale market but dont. They recognize its value but lose money everytime someone buys resale (not on the points sold but on the new buyer not buying direct)

On a side note i imagine that whether tbey sell 1 pt or a 1million pt contract the paperwork and time is the same. Maybe the sales agents were overloaded with these minimal contracts and DVc wanted to ensure the direct purchases were worth their time. Just specation.
    But Disney still makes a lot of money on DVC guests that have purchased resale. I guess we will just have to disagree on this one.
    --Denise

Post Thanks / Like

Default Business is Business

Quote Originally Posted by Mkeef View Post
    DVC could easily crush the resale market but dont. They recognize its value but lose money everytime someone buys resale (not on the points sold but on the new buyer not buying direct.
    While some people are savvy and do their homework and intentionally buy resale over direct, I'm not convinced Disney loses money EVERY time someone buys resale. I'm willing to bet there are a lot of people who just plain can't afford the high direct prices, making resale the ONLY option for them with regard to DVC.

And there is something to be said for a new direct buyer's peace of mind that should something happen and they need to sell, it should be fairly easy. I know the "you could will it, transfer it, or sell it" was hammered hard when we were given the direct sale speech. The fact is we were told a lot of things (repetitively) during the sales process that the contract didn't support so DVC making changes now to benefit their business doesn't surprise me. And, in this case, wouldn't impact us because our points portfolio is a 50/50 mix of resale and direct.

That said, DVC has to do something to justify the exorbitant cost difference of direct points vs. what could be had via resale.
    Once again I arrived at the same old conclusion: Gonna need more points!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm fine w/ Disney limiting some benefits to direct buyers, or requiring a minimum number of direct points to qualify for mixed type owners...I just wish Disney was consistent. Changing the rules ever few years is confusing and unnecessary. For many years, Disney seemed to push 25 points as a minimum purchase level...I'm not sure why they feel that 75 points should be the new standard. As long as its 100pts or less, I'm not too worried. I do have 350 direct points and might someday add more points (but probably only via resale), so this doesn't really impact me yet.