Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 75 Point Direct Purchase Minimum for Perks

Post Thanks / Like

Default 75 Point Direct Purchase Minimum for Perks

Disney Vacation Club will soon require minimum ownership of 75 points purchased direct in order to qualify for Membership Extras.

View complete article
    This website is an unofficial publication regarding the Disney Vacation Club and is not affiliated in any way with Walt Disney World, The Walt Disney Company, the Disney Vacation Club, Disney Vacation Development, or any of their affiliates or subsidiaries. All Disney images © The Walt Disney Company. All information presented on this site is subject to change. Information presented on this site may not be reproduced without permission.

Post Thanks / Like

A third category of DVC ownership, just what we needed. At least current owners will be grandfathered in. I think anyone that is considering a small purchase to get these extra benefits might want to check into it now.
    --Denise

Scheduled upcoming Disney trips:

11/27-12/14/18 AKV Kidani Village
    2/19-2/22/19 - Bay Lake Tower
    3/10-3/14/19 - AKV Jambo House

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by denlo View Post
    At least current owners will be grandfathered in.
    Thank goodness! Especially since, in our case, we initially bought 175 points direct from DVC, however, shortly thereafter we sold those points and bought resale where we wanted to stay (a DVC resort we had't been to). Now, although we have over 600 points, less than 100 are direct from Disney. If we'd stayed with our original purchase, at least then we'd have 250+ direct. So glad we're grandfathered in.

Post Thanks / Like

I have long expected them to set a minimum threshold. I am surprised they set it this low, I expected it to be in the 100 or 125 range. Also, I expect after the 25th we will see more 25 pt contracts become available, and they might be lower in cost than say a 100 point contract, simply because 25 points is simply too small.

Post Thanks / Like

They had to have known when they made the change that numerous people would be buying 25pt contracts just to get the perks. I wonder if having so many 25pt contracts in the system was causing issues.
    WDW - POFQ, CS, ASM, BLT, OKW, VWL, AKL - (9 trips)
    DL - 4 trips
    DCL - 2 cruises
    Aulani - 3 trips

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by disBOBney View Post
    Also, I expect after the 25th we will see more 25 pt contracts become available, and they might be lower in cost than say a 100 point contract, simply because 25 points is simply too small.
    I certainly don't see Members dumping their 25-point deeds on the resale market. Anyone who already bought a 25-point deed is grandfathered in and is entitled to Membership Extras. If they get rid of the 25-point deed they bought direct from Disney, then they could lose out of that entitlement.

Post Thanks / Like

25 points might seem small but if you work the bank and borrow than a 6N stay with points left over is attainable. If it's a 2nd 'home' it would be a doable option. We specially bought our smallest contract for every other year use and sometimes we've managed to go every year.

Janet & Dan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mkeef View Post
    They had to have known when they made the change that numerous people would be buying 25pt contracts just to get the perks. I wonder if having so many 25pt contracts in the system was causing issues.
    Or even 50 points...I think you're right though.
    ~Amy~

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with wdrl about the currently owned 25 point contracts, those people are grandfathered in, so why sell.

Mkeef, I sometimes wonder if the Poly owners will start noticing problems booking due to the excess number of 50 point Poly contracts that were sold. But then I remember that every new DVC resort has a lot of small 25- 50 point contracts purchased by owners of other resorts for the same purpose of getting the seven month mark every two or three years at that resort. At the Poly, I wonder how many current DVC owners actually did an add on there. Was the numbers similar to other add ons at other DVC resorts? I suspect not because many DVC owners were not interested in a resort that only offered studios. It is possible that the Poly owners will find that full weeks are not available during peak times as so many small contracts were sold. But then I know a lot of large contracts were sold as well for the Poly. It might be very important to book at the 11 month mark at PVB.
    --Denise

Scheduled upcoming Disney trips:

11/27-12/14/18 AKV Kidani Village
    2/19-2/22/19 - Bay Lake Tower
    3/10-3/14/19 - AKV Jambo House

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 75 Point Direct Purchase Minimum for Perks

HI: I am still confused and maybe this has already been answered, but could someone tell me if I am o.k. under the new 75 point rule if I originally bought 214 points at Beach Club in 2009 and then purchased an additional 30 points at Beach Club in 2013? Both contracts were purchased on the Resale Market. Thanks.
    Last edited by aaesq; 02-12-2018 at 01:25 PM.