Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: New Survey Shows Disney Vacation Club Members Plan Vacation Time in Advance, Use Vaca

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,895
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default New Survey Shows Disney Vacation Club Members Plan Vacation Time in Advance, Use Vaca

    (Press Release) Findings Reveal Members are Nearly Twice as Likely to Plan Vacation and Leave Less Unused Time Annually Than Most Americans



    View complete article
    This website is an unofficial publication regarding the Disney Vacation Club and is not affiliated in any way with Walt Disney World, The Walt Disney Company, the Disney Vacation Club, Disney Vacation Development, or any of their affiliates or subsidiaries. All Disney images © The Walt Disney Company. All information presented on this site is subject to change. Information presented on this site may not be reproduced without permission.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Missouri City, TX
    Posts
    15,388
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Very interesting planner, it would have come in handy when I worked. I know we almost always used our vacation days although there were a few times that we mess up on figuring out the days we had to use. But luckily our vacation time could be donated to another employee that was seriously ill.
    --Denise

    Scheduled upcoming Disney trips:


    11/30/17 - 12/14/17 - Bay Lake Tower at the Contemporary Resort
    03/01/18 - 03/08/18 - Copper Creek at the Wilderness Lodge

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Exit 67
    Posts
    9,527
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    A Disney vacation is a very unique experience, more so today when there really is no slow time to go. If there is something you REALLY want to do or place to eat, you better have 9 digits already dialed before they turn on the phones, otherwise you'll spend your entire vacation climbing the stair at the Swiss Fam Tree House and eating dinner every night at Nine Dragons.

    We just spent a week in Myrtle Beach. Do you know how much planning I did? I put the resort address in my navigation system the day before we left.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Texas/Mexico border
    Posts
    5,586
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KNWVIKING 2.0 View Post

    We just spent a week in Myrtle Beach. Do you know how much planning I did? I put the resort address in my navigation system the day before we left.
    Gotta give my plug for the HHI resort here. That's one reason why we've come to love the DHHI resort even better than WDW. Our planning is limited to Guy's picking his tee times at various golf courses.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Missouri City, TX
    Posts
    15,388
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by simbasmom View Post
    Gotta give my plug for the HHI resort here. That's one reason why we've come to love the DHHI resort even better than WDW. Our planning is limited to Guy's picking his tee times at various golf courses.
    I think many families going to HHI do plan ahead for the tours offered at HHI.
    --Denise

    Scheduled upcoming Disney trips:


    11/30/17 - 12/14/17 - Bay Lake Tower at the Contemporary Resort
    03/01/18 - 03/08/18 - Copper Creek at the Wilderness Lodge

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Exit 67
    Posts
    9,527
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by simbasmom View Post
    Gotta give my plug for the HHI resort here. That's one reason why we've come to love the DHHI resort even better than WDW. Our planning is limited to Guy's picking his tee times at various golf courses.
    Toughest decisions we make at HHI are which Happy Hour to hit first. We generally plan the one farthest away first and walk our way back towards the resort'

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    SFBA
    Posts
    184
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    My thoughts on this article:

    "People who spend tens of thousands of dollars on vacation timeshares are more likely to go on vacation."

    "People owning a timeshare that strongly encourages planning ahead for full benefit are more likely to plan ahead."

    Which, you know, thank you Captain Obvious.

    I'm curious how they define 'use all their vacation time'. Because I keep a nice chunk on the books (ideally, 4 weeks at any given time) as a buffer in case of layoff, but I don't lose any due to lack of use, either. I'd say I use all my vacation time each year, but I'm not sure how they'd count it.
    [WDW visits: DxL 1/98, VWL 1/03, WL 6/03, VWL 1/08, BWV 1/13, BCV 1/16, POFQ 4/17, BCV 1/19]
    [DL visits: 7/90, 11/93, 11/94, 11/95, 6/96, 11/96, 11/97, 11/99, 12/00, 8/01, 1/06, 2/08, 2/12, 6/14, VGC 7/16, DLH/VGC 1/17]
    [Family: me46, wife46, daughter19, son17, son13]
    [Races: 2016 WDW 10k, 2017 SW Light Side Rebel Challenge, 2017 SW Dark Side Half]

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Missouri City, TX
    Posts
    15,388
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    [QUOTE=kazrak;197355]My thoughts on this article:

    "People who spend tens of thousands of dollars on vacation timeshares are more likely to go on vacation."

    "People owning a timeshare that strongly encourages planning ahead for full benefit are more likely to plan ahead."

    Which, you know, thank you Captain Obvious.

    I'm curious how they define 'use all their vacation time'. Because I keep a nice chunk on the books (ideally, 4 weeks at any given time) as a buffer in case of layoff, but I don't lose any due to lack of use, either. I'd say I use all my vacation time each year, but I'm not sure how they'd count it.[/QUOTE

    We always did the maximum carry over too, we had a limit of 240 hours. But don't you think once you reach your designated do not touch except in emergency figure, everything you get each year thereafter is to be used.
    --Denise

    Scheduled upcoming Disney trips:


    11/30/17 - 12/14/17 - Bay Lake Tower at the Contemporary Resort
    03/01/18 - 03/08/18 - Copper Creek at the Wilderness Lodge

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    SFBA
    Posts
    184
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by denlo View Post
    We always did the maximum carry over too, we had a limit of 240 hours. But don't you think once you reach your designated do not touch except in emergency figure, everything you get each year thereafter is to be used.
    The way it tends to work in California (in my experience) is that there's no carry-over limit, but there's an accrual limit. So if I hit 240 hours, I don't gain any more vacation time until I use some. California law is that vacation time, once earned, belongs to the employee and can't expire without being paid out. It must be paid out if the employee leaves the company for any reason.

    My goal, which I've hit consistently for most of the last 25 years, is to keep my balance between 160 and 240 hours - enough that I have a buffer, but not enough that I ever lose time due to hitting the cap. Since I get 5 weeks (200 hours)/year at this point, I need to use all 5 weeks every year. There are years where I'll go a little over or under, but not enough to cause an issue.

    The new hotness in the software industry is "unlimited" vacation time - no accrual, no formal tracking, just take a vacation when you want within reason. To what should be nobody's surprise, people take less vacation in this system, because there's always the worry that they'll be fired for slacking. And, since there's no accrual, there's nothing to pay out when an employee leaves.
    [WDW visits: DxL 1/98, VWL 1/03, WL 6/03, VWL 1/08, BWV 1/13, BCV 1/16, POFQ 4/17, BCV 1/19]
    [DL visits: 7/90, 11/93, 11/94, 11/95, 6/96, 11/96, 11/97, 11/99, 12/00, 8/01, 1/06, 2/08, 2/12, 6/14, VGC 7/16, DLH/VGC 1/17]
    [Family: me46, wife46, daughter19, son17, son13]
    [Races: 2016 WDW 10k, 2017 SW Light Side Rebel Challenge, 2017 SW Dark Side Half]

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Missouri City, TX
    Posts
    15,388
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kazrak View Post
    The way it tends to work in California (in my experience) is that there's no carry-over limit, but there's an accrual limit. So if I hit 240 hours, I don't gain any more vacation time until I use some. California law is that vacation time, once earned, belongs to the employee and can't expire without being paid out. It must be paid out if the employee leaves the company for any reason.

    My goal, which I've hit consistently for most of the last 25 years, is to keep my balance between 160 and 240 hours - enough that I have a buffer, but not enough that I ever lose time due to hitting the cap. Since I get 5 weeks (200 hours)/year at this point, I need to use all 5 weeks every year. There are years where I'll go a little over or under, but not enough to cause an issue.

    The new hotness in the software industry is "unlimited" vacation time - no accrual, no formal tracking, just take a vacation when you want within reason. To what should be nobody's surprise, people take less vacation in this system, because there's always the worry that they'll be fired for slacking. And, since there's no accrual, there's nothing to pay out when an employee leaves.
    I was a federal employee so we were restricted. It sounded like a great vacation time, but with no paid leave of absences for deaths of family members eventually took a toll on my 240 hours. Then I built back up to have it count towards my retirement years. Parent with newborns had to use combined vacation and sick leave for time off with the baby as they didn't give out paid family leave. The we got time off for was for voting if your polling hours closed less than 2 hours from when the office opened or closed. But then polls started staying open late, so we no longer got time off for that. And we got time off for jury duty, but had to turn in the money paid back to the federal government. They didn't even give us with parking money.
    --Denise

    Scheduled upcoming Disney trips:


    11/30/17 - 12/14/17 - Bay Lake Tower at the Contemporary Resort
    03/01/18 - 03/08/18 - Copper Creek at the Wilderness Lodge

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •