Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Disney Testing Cashless Payments

Post Thanks / Like

Default Disney Testing Cashless Payments

Next month, one Walt Disney World resort will embark upon a test to eliminate most cash payment options.

View complete article
    This website is an unofficial publication regarding the Disney Vacation Club and is not affiliated in any way with Walt Disney World, The Walt Disney Company, the Disney Vacation Club, Disney Vacation Development, or any of their affiliates or subsidiaries. All Disney images © The Walt Disney Company. All information presented on this site is subject to change. Information presented on this site may not be reproduced without permission.

Post Thanks / Like

I hate this option! To me, many of these options encourage you to spend, spend, spend, then get shocked when you see the bill-credit cards, magic bands (much too easy), and I don't even understand the Google pay, Apple pay, Samsung Pay. And not surprisingly, we don't even have a debit card. If my $20 bill is no longer any good, we'll just have to make one more stop before our trip-get and load a Disney gift card.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Legal Tender???

While I use a credit card / magicband extensively while visiting WDW, I have to agree with the frustration expressed by simbasmom. Limiting options is usually never a good thing from a guest's perspective. Disney must have some really good lawyers who looked into change in policy. Last time I checked, cash was a legal tender in all 50 states. I would like to see exactly what they would do if I attempt to pay my dinner bill with cash and walk out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by weatheryoko View Post
    I would like to see exactly what they would do if I attempt to pay my dinner bill with cash and walk out.
    easy. theyíll have you arrested.
    No business has to accept all forms of payment. Here Costco doesnít accept Visa as a form of payment. Doesnít mean I get to walk out with my groceries if thatís all I have.

There is the extreme benefit to Disney of having guests not paying attention to their spending. However, cash is very dangerous form of payment for a company. There are so many counterfeits out there and once itís identified then the business losses the bill and is out the money. With credit Visa/MC/etc if the card is fraudulent or stolen then the credit company is out not the business. So many places now have the tap feature of X dollars without PIN or signature. CC companies have this insured and are willing to pay the losses for added convenience.
    Also, there is so much room for error when accepting cash by not accepting the right amount or giving too much change and itís a more time consuming process. Thereís also the theft aspect. Itís easy for an employee to skim cash from a register. Swiping a credit card is quick and easy with very little room for error.

I never use cash anymore. If my wallet had 100$ in it and I lose it itís gone for ever. Same scenario and the thief maxes out my credit card Iím out nothing.
    [SIZE=2]WDW - 1990/DL - 1995/DL - 1996/WDW - 1998/WDW - DEC2008 (POFQ)/WDW - 2010 (POFQ - Proposed 1/31/2010)/WDW and DCL- MAR2011 (CS/Pop and Eastern Carribean on the Magic - Honeymoon)/DL - OCT2011 (Paradise Pier)/Aulani - JAN 2012/DL -OCT2012/WDW -JAN2013(BLT)/WDW - SEP2013(OKW)/DL - DEC2014/WDW and DCL- Sep2015(BLT/VWL, and Western Caribbean on the Fantasy/May 2016(AKV-Kidani)/Jan2017 (Aulani)/Jan2018 (Aulani)

Post Thanks / Like

Default I still disagree with this policy

mkeef,
    I honestly mean this.... I respectfully disagree with you (while agreeing with you). I hardly use/carry/spend cash anymore. That said, cash is ***not*** a form of payment (i.e. Visa, MC, travelers checks, personal checks, etc), it is the standard. If a U.S. business lists a price on it's menu, it's in dollars. Cash is a legal tender in the U.S. If Disney arrests anyone for trying to pay a restaurant bill with cash, then I would expect a countersuit would quickly follow.... "Your Honor... We're pressing charges today because this guest tried to skimp out on a dinner bill by paying their bill in full with cash...". I'm not trying to troll this thread so this will be my last post on the subject, but I 100% disagree with this policy and I question the legality of it.

UPDATE: I stand corrected (disappointedly so)

nytimes.com/2017/12/25/nyregion/no-cash-money-cashless-credit-debit-card.html
    Last edited by weatheryoko; 01-16-2018 at 11:56 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't know why the thought of not being able to pay with cash bothers me - truthfully at home 99% of the time I don't have any $ on me. When I get a coffee at Wawa or light meal at McD my change goes right into the charity collection by the cashier. At the PHL airport if I get coffee at AuBon I walk next door and drop the change in the McD's charity collector. Generally I use my Debit card - for one thing, I don't end up with coinage.

I think who this will effect are the people who expect tips because vacationers won't have cash (actually that has already happened and some bell service have received a really good tip because the only $ we had was a 20).

Janet & Dan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mkeef View Post
    easy. theyíll have you arrested.
    No business has to accept all forms of payment. Here Costco doesnít accept Visa as a form of payment. Doesnít mean I get to walk out with my groceries if thatís all I have.
    Apple and Orange.

Cash is the coin of the Realm, legal tender for all transactions. Visa is a publicly traded brand offering an alternative payment method that no one is REQUIRED to accept.

That said, I'm also pretty much a cashless person. Our church website has a "Donations" link where I pay my tithes and offerings rather than drop paper in the Sunday plate. I know the church loses a couple percentage points, but it gets me a couple free nights at the Hampton Inn when I travel to WDW.

Post Thanks / Like

I just checked and a Federal Reserve Note does say "THIS NOTE IS LEGAL TENDER FOR ALL DEBTS, PUBLIC AND PRIVATE." - However, I do not think that that means it is law that it has to be accepted.

This is a test. It may get a lot of backlash.

I agree, limiting options is never a good thing for the customer.

On the other side of things, a side to which I can relate, if you get rid of cash, employees have a lot less to steal.

Post Thanks / Like

Someone on another board brought up an interesting question. What if a family decides to go over to AKL to se the animals and just generally check it out. Then they go into the gift shop to buy something. But from what I understand, the gift shop won't accept cash. If the guests either don't have MB, don't have the MB set up for charging, or simply don't want to charge, sale lost?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by simbasmom View Post
    Someone on another board brought up an interesting question. What if a family decides to go over to AKL to se the animals and just generally check it out. Then they go into the gift shop to buy something. But from what I understand, the gift shop won't accept cash. If the guests either don't have MB, don't have the MB set up for charging, or simply don't want to charge, sale lost?
    Given the scenario listed then I would say sale lost. I know I've walked away from the cash register just because the CM can't figure out the discounts.

Janet & Dan