Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: DVCNews Debates: Security

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mkeef View Post
    And how does locking your doors keep you safe? Doors are very easy to defeat and dead bolts aren't difficult to get past. It is actually very poor security when you consider that's all most people have to protect their entire livelyhood. Even house alarms do nothing. Somebody can be in and out of your house before any one notices an alarm or your monitoring company can contact authorities.
    Locks keep honest people honest.

But if I'm home I'd much rather someone make the noise associated with breaking down my door versus them just turning a knob and walking in... kinda like them doodads they put on hotel room doors.

My point was that even at home you don't let your guard down and whatever level of security I'm willing to invest in and live within is my choice. Disney - potentially - is wasting my money and negatively impacting my vacation experience and I'm not one bit safer.

The reality is they can never make WDW safe if a person or persons are determined to do harm. Disney can strip search every guest and dig through every piece of luggage and an event like LV can still happen. WDW is 47 square miles with public roads and thousands of cars coming and going all day. How do you possibly deal with that and still offer a product people will buy.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Where does it stop?

What's next- mousekeepers walk thru villa rooms with bomb sniffing dogs? Metal detectors at every villa/hotel entrance? I understand the point of trying to keep everyone safe and I totally agree with checkpoints for the monorail and at the entrance for all parks. But, I believe that these room checks are clearly going to be out of hand. Like I mentioned before, my autistic son has severe OCD issues. Having a stranger walk thru our room and basically look thru our things is going to upset him. What if someone is in the bathroom? Is the Disney overseer going to stand there and wait until that person leaves the bathroom so they can check to make sure that no one is stockpiling weapons in there? The world we live in is crazy, we all go to Disney to escape crazy. Just think happy thoughts I guess.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KNWVIKING 2.0 View Post

How do you possibly deal with that and still offer a product people will buy.
    I completely agree. It canít be done. All they can do is look at what has happened and try decipher a way to prevent past mistakes. There is no right answer and finding a balance between personal freedoms and personal safety is one of the biggest challenges out there. Sometimes it is just smoke and mirrors.

and to be fair I donít think Iíve once said I agree with this decision. I just see where they are coming from.
    WDW - POFQ, CS, ASM, BLT, OKW, VWL, AKL - (9 trips)
    DL - 4 trips
    DCL - 2 cruises
    Aulani - 3 trips

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mickeyt View Post
    Just experienced this for the first time Sunday at BCV's. I had noticed they had change the door tags from Do Not Disturb to Room Occupied. I did not have ours out and the CM did the typical housekeeping tap-tap-tap on the door. I opened the door and he explained that he had to do a walk through. He walked through each room of our 2BR including the bathrooms. All I can say it was kind of ackward for both of us. we made small talk but still awkward.

Good to hear firsthand accounts, and this here, the awkward part...that can come in so many variations, being in the shower as someone walks in will probably be a legal problem from Disney over time.
    I can just picture the lawsuits. Children in the tub and so on.. No matter what they say or they have guests sign...This will be an issue for them if they don't come up with a better plan.
    I agree with Viking on the fact it is really not safe,and being alert, and the feeling is perhaps false, but it is still a feeling i would not like taken away. Pre any incidents anyways.
    What worries me is if we get back at say 05:00 PM we will have no knowledge of them having been there, right? They dont leave a note or such?
    I want them to give me a time slot when I check in, for my part of the resort, or hallway or floor, say a 2 hour time window, and I can adjust to that.
    It is the not knowing when, that irritates me to no end.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper28 View Post
    What's next- mousekeepers walk thru villa rooms with bomb sniffing dogs? Metal detectors at every villa/hotel entrance?
    I would prefer this over a Mousekeeper doing a walkabout. At least I know they stand a chance of finding whatever is under the mattress.

Reading the comments I get the impression some people don't use the dead bolts and safety catches on their door. For us, that's just an automatic as soon as we shut the door behind us. You will never have to worry about someone walking in unannounced if you simply flip the safety.

One suggestion for Disney since they are hellbent on doing this: Generate auto phone calls to banks of rooms stating "Trash Collection" will be at your room within the next ten minutes.

Post Thanks / Like

"One suggestion for Disney since they are hellbent on doing this: Generate auto phone calls to banks of rooms stating "Trash Collection" will be at your room within the next ten minutes."

Good idea!

Post Thanks / Like

the confusing part of this for me is: room being checked or me and the room? If they want to check the room I would think a more through job of inspection would be completed without our presence. Is that against some rule?

For us joining the DVC meant making our own bed and bringing our own coffee. No matter where I stay the room will be tidy, valuables will be out of site or the room safe will be used, and the door lock in place if we're sleeping. Even in my own house the rooms are tidy, valuables out of site and the door lock in place when we're sleeping so I am unsure of the difference/safety level. (FYI, started locking the front door at home after we purchased our own house and the local clergy just walked in to 'bless' it. I'd never experienced entering a home that wasn't my own or one my parents owned without knocking.).

Janet & Dan

Post Thanks / Like

Metal detectors at every villa/hotel entrance?

Disneyland Paris has. Also when you arrive in your car at the hotel, security asks you to pop the car boot open to look inside before they let you pass & park up. After youíve parked your car, you & your suitcase go through metal detectors before entering the hotel.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KNWVIKING 2.0 View Post
    I
    Reading the comments I get the impression some people don't use the dead bolts and safety catches on their door. For us, that's just an automatic as soon as we shut the door behind us. You will never have to worry about someone walking in unannounced if you simply flip the safety.
    We are not really a deadbolt nation, never seen one in a private home here. But I guess it makes sense, so I will start using it.
    Weird I never thought of it really, and speaks volumes of how secure I felt (and feel I guess)at WDW, false or not.

G

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bolebrothers View Post
    We are not really a deadbolt nation, never seen one in a private home here. But I guess it makes sense, so I will start using it.
    Weird I never thought of it really, and speaks volumes of how secure I felt (and feel I guess)at WDW, false or not.

G

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You don't have a dead bolt on your home? You should - no where is that safe - I guess I live to close to Philly

Janet & Dan