Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DVCNews Debates: Security

Post Thanks / Like

I'd rather an effort is made to enter the room while we are not there as I find the knocking intrusive. To my way of thinking, if entering to empty the trash than why not leave a coffee packet for the next day

Janet & Dan

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I am betting we All feel safe at Disney. Thing is, all it takes is one incident and that sense of security is destroyed. Right along with millions in revenue, so I understand why they are making an effort to do something. Sometimes perception is reality and in this case, let’s hope so. And yes, I always throw the deadbolt / occupied latch anyways...
    Ron

2008 - Allstar Music, 2009 - POFQ, 2010 - AKL, 2011 - WL, 2012 - WL, 2013 - WL, Mar 2014 - BC , Dec 2014 - AKV Kidani, Mar 2015 - VWL, Oct 2015 - PVB, Mar 2016 - VGC, Mar 2017 - VGC, Mar 2018 - VWL

Post Thanks / Like

We just stayed at Saratoga for 6 days. First 3 days no one entered our room, took out trash, or did a security check. I know because someone was in our room this entire time and no one entered. On day 4 we received trash and towel service. On day 5 a cleaner entered the room while my mother in law and 8 month old were in the room. She did not hear a knock, he stated he knocked. She felt very uneasy as this gentleman did not speak English very well and she was not expecting someone to enter the room unexpectantly.

I feel like this is costing us (DVC Owners) more than it is worth. I could see this at "high rise" DVC properties to avoid a LV repeat. But if someone were stockpiling at Saratoga, what would keep them from keeping them in their car, van, SUV etc. It is not like the room gives you a vantage point of a high traffic area.

That said, I also feel like the expense and amenities removed from the 2017 "Alligator" incident were a drastic over-reach at a large cost. Fences at all properties, signs up everywhere telling you there are animals that live in FL, removing any beach activities...

Very similar feel. Every time I see those signs I feel terrible for the boy who was attacked and everytime a person walks into my room for a security check I will think of LV.

Post Thanks / Like

We're all assuming this is for safely reasons. Might it just be possible that the trash piling up has become an issue in some villas? People can produce a lot of trash and I always wonder if it sits for 4 days if it doesn't start to smell, attract bugs, etc. Diapers, food remains, etc can be pretty ripe after just a day or two ...
    - Lorie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steamboat42 View Post

I could see this at "high rise" DVC properties to avoid a LV repeat. But if someone were stockpiling at Saratoga, what would keep them from keeping them in their car, van, SUV etc. It is not like the room gives you a vantage point of a high traffic area.
    Good point! The same could be said at OKW. Come to think of it, there are lots of DVC properties that aren't in very high traffic areas, nor very tall-BCV, AKV, VGF, Boulder Ridge, for example. Off-hand I can only think of BLT and BWV Boardwalk view as real threats.

Post Thanks / Like

We have always felt safe at Disney and the kids got their first tastes of freedom there. We let them go off by themselves (together) at a fairly early age and it was probably 2 or 3 years after that before we'd even think of letting them go off by themselves anywhere else (except at home/neighborhood).
    We never walked in the water and were aware of potential critters. We back to woods at home with a reservoir and we have a pool so we get snakes at home and other critters so maybe we're just more critter aware.
    I understand the precaution regarding entering the room daily but I'm not sure it would stop a determined person.
    For one thing, as others noted, just keep everything out of sight until the "moment" arrives. Unless they are going to look through luggage how are they going to be sure there isn't a rifle in the suitcase in the closet? Also I have seen reports (don't know if they are 100% accurate) that the evil LV perpetrator had room service and housekeeping interaction the day of. Didn't prevent anything if so.
    We have teens/young adults who stay out late and sleep in. We like to go out early. So there will be times when people will be sleeping late and the deadbolt will be off because others are coming and going. So now the benefits to my DVC villa become liabilities. I think do not disturb needs to be brought back and if the housekeeping staff can't get in by say 3pm - have someone come up and do a check after a phone call. I plan on making my own do not disturb/people sleeping naked sign. Or bringing a charley bar that fits under the door handle (if they take away the deadbolt). Again - that won't help if some are out and some are in.
    Also agree with the high rise issue to some degree. But we have BLT so.... and Riviera is going to be hi rise and the hotels that are at park entrances? Paris, Grand Californian, new Epcot hotel? And there are plenty of people waiting for buses/swimming in pools... It's a busy place full of families and almost a holy place to those of us who are complete Disney freaks so it's just the perfect place for this sort of thing.
    I'm hoping, that like other changes I've railed against, that this just becomes routine and everyone is respectful and that it all works out. But I really don't like that I will have to clean up every day before I leave and get on the others too, to put stuff away that we currently leave out.... Just a pain and taking away from the experience.
    OR Bring in daily maid service for DVC rentals. At least I won't have to make the beds. Maybe then I'd be less annoyed? But more broke from higher dues.... Can't win this one.
    Every day, the drip drip drip of losing privacy because of crazy terrorists (creating terror and causing increased security = decreased privacy). To borrow from Trump - SAD. Just sad. Disney's not supposed to be sad.
    Let's hope the world can become a safer place for everyone, everywhere. Sorry for being Debbie Downer.

Post Thanks / Like

After reading many posts on this subject, a recurring theme keeps coming up: Feeling Safe. All these layers of security give us the illusion of safety therefore we feel safe.

Well, feeling safe is BS. I don't want to feel safe, I want to BE safe and having my trash picked up everyday isn't going to accomplish anything. Feeling safe in an unsafe world will get you killed. I lock my doors and close my blinds at home and keep my head on a swivel when I'm out. Maybe it's the Jersey in me but I'm not about to put on my Rose Colored glasses and start singing Cumb by Yah just because I'm in WDW

If a terrorist is really in the room planning an attack, guess who the first dead person is going to be? That's right, the Mousekeeper that walks in on him with a bed covered in guns. Of course, this can only happen if the idiot leaves the deadbolt off on his door. And for comments like; "Well, they have tools that can get through the deadbolt...... " sure they do, but the Mousekeeper knocking on your door doesn't so she still isn't going to be barging in on you.

This "LAYER" of security will accomplish nothing other than increase expenses and annoy guests.

Post Thanks / Like

Against my will, I have to agree with you KNWVIKING 2.0. The bubble is just a feeling. I don't listen to the news at WDW and I try to forget my troubles and enjoy the happiest place on earth but it IS with Rose colored glasses singing kumbaya or however its spelled! I lived in Israel as a teenager, Had some classes in a bombshelter and was always surrounded (it felt) by armed soldiers. I didn't worry much. I was careful but mostly young and immortal. My grandmother in North Carolina wrote that she worried about me, I wrote that I worried about her because the US had high gun violence! So there we were. I also agree this move doesn't make us any safer. But what would? And how do we pay for it? Putting everyone's luggage through some sort of scanner? Searching cars? I don't know. I guess the bottom line may be that short of some very drastic intrusive measures all Disney CAN do is make us "feel" safer. Disney is not actually a world unto it's own. It just "feels" that way.
    But I don't have to like it.
    Now I'm putting my hands over my ears, closing my eyes and saying "LALALALALALALAlalalalLALALAlalala..."
    Enjoying my adventure

Post Thanks / Like

Default Room Walk Through

Just experienced this for the first time Sunday at BCV's. I had noticed they had change the door tags from Do Not Disturb to Room Occupied. I did not have ours out and the CM did the typical housekeeping tap-tap-tap on the door. I opened the door and he explained that he had to do a walk through. He walked through each room of our 2BR including the bathrooms. All I can say it was kind of ackward for both of us. we made small talk but still awkward.
    -------------
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KNWVIKING 2.0 View Post

I lock my doors and close my blinds at home and keep my head on a swivel when I'm out.
    And how does locking your doors keep you safe? Doors are very easy to defeat and dead bolts aren't difficult to get past. It is actually very poor security when you consider that's all most people have to protect their entire livelyhood. Even house alarms do nothing. Somebody can be in and out of your house before any one notices an alarm or your monitoring company can contact authorities.

Yet how many people leave their house every day and panic because they think they left their doors unlocked at home? How many people get up in the night to go check to make sure they locked their doors? They do it because they feel safer when their doors are locked when in reality nothing has changed the potential threat.
    [SIZE=2]WDW - 1990/DL - 1995/DL - 1996/WDW - 1998/WDW - DEC2008 (POFQ)/WDW - 2010 (POFQ - Proposed 1/31/2010)/WDW and DCL- MAR2011 (CS/Pop and Eastern Carribean on the Magic - Honeymoon)/DL - OCT2011 (Paradise Pier)/Aulani - JAN 2012/DL -OCT2012/WDW -JAN2013(BLT)/WDW - SEP2013(OKW)/DL - DEC2014/WDW and DCL- Sep2015(BLT/VWL, and Western Caribbean on the Fantasy/May 2016(AKV-Kidani)/Jan2017 (Aulani)/Jan2018 (Aulani)