Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: DVCNews Debates: Security

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bakerworld View Post
    You don't have a dead bolt on your home? You should - no where is that safe - I guess I live to close to Philly
    I'm 25 minutes from Camden.

Post Thanks / Like

Default as has been mentioned before

If bad people want to do bad things, it is impossible to prevent everything from happening. Perhaps making the announcement public will discourage someone. If even just one says never mind, then that is a good thing. But the effectiveness if people either do not know or do not care about the "daily trash", then it will not matter. They do not need 45 guns or to assemble a cannon in the living area, to do harm.

So unless they check not only every room, but every drawer, closet, what's in the washer/dryer?, the bathtub, the shower stall, in the safe, behind the dresser, under the mattress, what's in the fold out the couch, what's in the golf travelling case? ...etc....they will only find what is left on the table or on the bed. I have to assume that not all bad people have an IQ under 70. And if I have a hard case for my golf clubs and it is locked, will they break in to check it is my clubs?

And for that matter, since they do not check the car - wait for housekeeping to come and go - then go unload the van or station wagon !!! It just doesn't make sense. And what if I come down with a flu bug from holding the handles on [insert the attraction of your choice] and am bed ridden? If I lock the damn door to keep people out and away, will they storm the ramparts to get in?

And the first time I am walking out of the shower to go get dressed and am greeted by housekeeping, who I could not hear knock because I was either in the shower or my hearing aids turned off, I wonder what my lawyer will get to file for me. I always wanted to own more of disney than just DVC ownership.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bakerworld View Post
    I'd rather an effort is made to enter the room while we are not there as I find the knocking intrusive. To my way of thinking, if entering to empty the trash than why not leave a coffee packet for the next day
    So true!!
    I rather resent some of the new security requirements. While I would hate to see a major problem at WDW, I could almost guarantee that checking everyone's room every day and all of the various bag searches are not going to prevent those who truly want to do harm. I am appalled to note the regular reports on how much stuff (weapons & so forth) gets through TSA. Everyone has these answers that seem to do little more than increase the cost and the annoyance, but little to counteract the problem.

AKVHutch

Post Thanks / Like

I think so too. Maybe it will help but I think it is more about showing that there is a lot of security surveillance. hm

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: DVCNews Debates: Security

On my last day at Saratoga Springs and I can definitely say this is becoming the Haus of the Maus. They knock on the door at 8-9 every morning until they get an answer or start trying to open the door. They have gone through our clothes, groceries and my toiletries, on top of leaving my husband’s toothbrush in the sink.
    Got yelled at by security at AK also because even though I acknowledged the request for “random” screening (that happens every time now) and said just let me close my bag so my medications and tampons don’t go everywhere, only to be yelled at twice to go through screening and forget about my bag.
    Tried to have a lazy last day in the room, packing up in our pjs and spending time as couples do, but no that had to be interrupted by a very creepy looking guy demanding to come in for “maintenance” when there was no problem, escalated to one manager (when we wouldn’t let the creep in) then another finally showing up at our door and saying we had no rights. At this rate, we will all have to submit to Mickey’s hands down our undies like the TSA can now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlytes View Post
    On my last day at Saratoga Springs and I can definitely say this is becoming the Haus of the Maus. They knock on the door at 8-9 every morning until they get an answer or start trying to open the door. They have gone through our clothes, groceries and my toiletries, on top of leaving my husband€™s toothbrush in the sink.
    Got yelled at by security at AK also because even though I acknowledged the request for €œrandom€ screening (that happens every time now) and said just let me close my bag so my medications and tampons don€™t go everywhere, only to be yelled at twice to go through screening and forget about my bag.
    Tried to have a lazy last day in the room, packing up in our pjs and spending time as couples do, but no that had to be interrupted by a very creepy looking guy demanding to come in for €œmaintenance€ when there was no problem, escalated to one manager (when we wouldn€™t let the creep in) then another finally showing up at our door and saying we had no rights. At this rate, we will all have to submit to Mickey€™s hands down our undies like the TSA can now.
    Are you using the room occupied sign while you are in the room?

I am surprised about them not allowing you to zip close your bag as I always do it before going through screening. Was it really crowded or a long line?
    --Denise

Scheduled upcoming Disney trips:

11/27-12/14/18 AKV Kidani Village
    2/19-2/22/19 - Bay Lake Tower
    3/10-3/14/19 - AKV Jambo House

Post Thanks / Like

We were told by management at SSR that having that sign out will prompt them to check the room, what the heck is the point of an occupied sign then?

This was not the first time having issues with the metal detector guards, maybe we tend to catch them on bad days but they get very aggressive if you don’t jump to. It was a pretty light crowd by Disney standards, I wasn’t in anyone’s way or holding up the line. Lucky me I guess and they keep making my husband take his belt off to go through the scanner, plain ol belt with a metal buckle and they get grumpy about it.

Post Thanks / Like

We left our studio villa early this morning at Poly. We returned back to our room around 8pm. 5 minutes later there was a knock on the door. It was almost like they saw us return to our room on the security camera and then sent someone to "check". On top of this, my son (who is autistic) was quite startled by having this stranger come into our room. He was in the bathroom when she arrived, and although she was nice, this individual had no idea what it is like dealing with a person on the spectrum. She kept asking if everything was ok and I felt like saying "All was fine until you came into this room disturbing my son's routine!"

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear about your son, hopefully he's feeling better. Between people on the spectrum, kids dropped off for parents to grab dinner and people showering, this seems like a law suit waiting to happen. So much for "Welcome home!"

I can tell you from personal experience now, if you try to refuse them entrance for even half a day, they will send the gorilla sized "security" to intimidate their way in. They did tell us that if you speak to the front desk that they should be able to work around your schedule, so maybe you can tell them when you leave to go "check" soon so they don't disturb your son anymore.

10. Thanks Thumper28 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I expect being on vacation has already upset your son's routine, so I would definitely let the front check in desk know that because of your son is on the spectrum it is very traumatic for strange people to enter the room while he is there. And that room checks would be best if it is done when you are gone.
    --Denise

Scheduled upcoming Disney trips:

11/27-12/14/18 AKV Kidani Village
    2/19-2/22/19 - Bay Lake Tower
    3/10-3/14/19 - AKV Jambo House

12. Thanks Thumper28 thanked for this post