Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Cold Weather down south

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cold Weather down south

One of my guys down in southern GA had his pipes freeze today. Just a little advice to folks down there not used to the cold:

If you have a crawl space with exposed water pipes and they aren't wrapped with heater wire, leave a faucet running in the house - moving water won't freeze.

If you have outdoor water sigots, shut the valves off inside and open the ones outside.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reminders, Ken.

Here in Texas we don't have crawl spaces nor basements. We made sure our hoses were disconnected and covered the outside water spigots with little insulated bags we picked up Lowes or Home Depot a few years ago. We don't have valves on the inside only the main water tap. We also have a sprinkler system. But unlike the sprinkler systems in cold weather locations, the lines are only 4 inches below the surface. We don't have anything like a compressor to blow out our system. But we did shut the water off to the Bell Housing unit and open the relief valves. We followed these instructions on the video below. Back in 2010, I think, so many home owners here in Houston lost the valves for their bell housing because we didn't follow these simple steps. There was a shortage of Bell Housings in Houston, that January. This year we made sure to do it. Also all exterior pipes should be insulated with foam pipe insulation or foam tapes.

https://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/a...from-a-freeze/

Of course, since we live in a sub-tropical climate we have hibiscus shrubs that had to be covered and protected from the cold.

BTW, although it was 30 degrees last night and will be in the upper 20's for the next two nights, by Sunday we are back to our normal temperature of upper 60s and low 70s during the day and 50's at night. Don't forgot to uncover your plants when the temperatures go above 45 degrees as the heat might kill them.
    --Denise

Scheduled upcoming Disney trips:

11/27-12/14/18 AKV Kidani Village
    2/19-2/22/19 - Bay Lake Tower
    3/10-3/14/19 - AKV Jambo House

Post Thanks / Like

You're saying that like you're talking for everyone, Denlo. Trust me, there are tons of people who still didn't do those things. I remember that 2010 cold, or around then at least. It was brutal.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess we have the best of both worlds where cold is concerned. We used to live up in the frigid north of Massachusetts where we knew about leaving the water running to prevent frozen pipes (and the penalty when you don't). We also knew about pipe insulation wraps, but that isn't needed down here. Now we live about 5 hours south of Denise, where a cold night is when practically everything in our yard gets covered (or so it seems like everything). You know it's cold when you drive around the neighborhood and practically every yard has blankets or sheets over bushes. This freezing cold snap here and in Florida makes me wonder about the citrus prices this year.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh boy, now we are going to get an ice storm. The metro area is talking about shutting down tomorrow. Rain and lows of 22F and high of 34F and it continues on Wednesday morning.
    --Denise

Scheduled upcoming Disney trips:

11/27-12/14/18 AKV Kidani Village
    2/19-2/22/19 - Bay Lake Tower
    3/10-3/14/19 - AKV Jambo House