Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: DVCNews Debates: Moonlight Magic vs Merry Mixer

Post Thanks / Like

Default DVCNews Debates: Moonlight Magic vs Merry Mixer

The annual DVC Merry Member Mixer was officially retired after the 2016 holiday season, ostensibly replaced by the Moonlight Magic after-hours park events. For more than a decade, the Mixers were held over a period of 4-5 weeks in November and December offering entertainment, refreshments and character meets during a mid-afternoon session. Moonlight Magic essentially adds exclusive attraction access to the presentation, albeit during later hours, with limited attendance and on fewer weeks (2 nights at Epcot in 2017.)

Topic: Which DVC holiday event do you prefer: Moonlight Magic or the Member Merry Mixer?

View complete article
    This website is an unofficial publication regarding the Disney Vacation Club and is not affiliated in any way with Walt Disney World, The Walt Disney Company, the Disney Vacation Club, Disney Vacation Development, or any of their affiliates or subsidiaries. All Disney images © The Walt Disney Company. All information presented on this site is subject to change. Information presented on this site may not be reproduced without permission.

Post Thanks / Like

I prefer the Moonlight Magic over the Merry Mixer. One reason why I feel that way is that we had attended three Merry Mixers and we had reached the "Been there, done that" point with the Mixers. The Mixers were getting increasingly crowded with very long lines for the character meet-and-greets. The free DVC ornament was nice, but it would not have been enough of an incentive to draw us back a fourth time.

The only thing I wish DVC would consider about the Moonlight Magic events is perhaps offering at least one event as a "Sunrise Magic" event. Maybe we are the only members who would attend, but I'd like the Event to be held from 6:00 AM to 8:00 AM before the Park opens. Frankly, a 10:00 PM start time for the Moonlight events is too late for us.

3. Likes denlo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wdrl View Post
    Maybe we are the only members who would attend, but I'd like the Event to be held from 6:00 AM to 8:00 AM before the Park opens. Frankly, a 10:00 PM start time for the Moonlight events is too late for us.
    We'll be there! Ten O'Clock at night is too late for us also. If the start time remained at 10 PM, I'd prefer the Merry Member Mixers.

Post Thanks / Like

I've gone to both events and both were a blast but I prefer the Merry Mixer. The Moonlight Magic was a lot of fun, but I was surprised that there was no Holiday theming to it. None of the characters were in seasonal garb. The Merry Mixer was "homier" and DVC members were actually talking to one another. The annual ornament was also a nice bonus too. The mixer was open to all DVC members and guests and you didn't have the "stress" of making the online reservation and wondering if you were going to be able to get reservations. The online reservations for all the Moonlight Magic events need to have a much longer lead time so members can plan their vacation better and even cancel their room if they can't get a Magic reservation. Sometimes members are making their reservations with the idea of being able to do something different such as the Moonlight Magic events. The timeline should definitely be outside the 60 Fastpass window for planning purposes. I also wished they had the Photpass photographers out for the Moonlight Magic event as EPCOT is absolutely gorgeous at night, but they were out only for the character meet and greets.

Post Thanks / Like

They both had pros and cons, but I'd take the moonlight magic over the mixer any day. Waiting online months before the moonlight was a bit of a hassle but worth it, especially if you're lucky enough to already have a room reservation. Being able to walk into the park early with your bracelet is a huge plus. Albeit you could just show up to the mixer, but you had to use a park ticket to get in(liked it much better when it was outside the international gateway)

Post Thanks / Like

We signed up for a Moonlight Magic for January and the start time was 9p - I thought the 9p was late. One year we signed up for a Animal Kingdom which I thought started at 6p.

Janet & Dan

Post Thanks / Like

Iíve been to the Merry Mixer twice and really liked the free ornament. I am signed up for the January Moonlight Madness, my very first one. Iím looking forward to it. I only hope I stay awake to enjoy it!
    ~Linda

Next scheduled trips
    Apr. 29- May 4 (All Star Movies & Copper Creek)
    Aug. 11-18 (Aulani)
    Sept. 28-Oct. 2 (DLR)
    Oct. 2-6 (Aulani)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Kathy

We are going to the Epcot event in August of 2018, this will be our first Moonlight Magic event we can't wait! We have been to a merry mixer and had fun, but we like to try all things new to our family's Disney trip. Epcot is one of our favorite parks.
    Last edited by Mizzie; 12-26-2017 at 01:23 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Moonlight Magic is a winner

We just returned from the Epcot event and it was a blast. While there was a wrinkle with the Frozen attraction early on, we had a ball and got to do everything that we wanted to do. I was never enthused enough with the Merry Mixer to go, so the ornament was not a winner for me. All that said, I will definitely try to attend any of the moonlight events if we happen to have vacation scheduled during that time.

AKVHutch