Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Riviera Resort Construction Update - December 2017

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,953
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Riviera Resort Construction Update - December 2017

    With a planned opening less than two years from now for Disney's Riviera Resort, construction is already moving along at a brisk pace.



    View complete article
    This website is an unofficial publication regarding the Disney Vacation Club and is not affiliated in any way with Walt Disney World, The Walt Disney Company, the Disney Vacation Club, Disney Vacation Development, or any of their affiliates or subsidiaries. All Disney images © The Walt Disney Company. All information presented on this site is subject to change. Information presented on this site may not be reproduced without permission.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,784
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    In March 2017, we stayed at Caribbean Beach Resort for a couple of nights. The construction of the Riviera Resort had not yet started, and the transformation of the Port Royale area at CBR was slated to begin just a few weeks later in April 2017. A cast member at the CBR food court was told that it would be 14 months before the Port Royale construction would be finished. If that timeframe holds true, then the CBR portion of the construction should be completed mid-summer 2018. It should take another 14 to 16 months after that before the Riviera will be completed.

    I, too, wonder what those larger bay areas will be at the Riviera. It looks too large to be a lobby area and we already know (one of the few things we do know about the Riviera) that the Riviera's restaurant will be on the top floor and not down on the second floor. The only thing left that it might be are for Grand Villas. Maybe the Riviera Grand Villas will have large picture windows like the Grand villas at Bay Lake Tower.






  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Missouri City, TX
    Posts
    15,476
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Those extra large openings are confusing me too. The center location is perfect for a 2 story lobby with great views of the lake, but it just seems to be too much space, even if you throw in a shop with market.

    We were told by more than one CM that the CBR customs house will no longer be part of CBR. We could not really see if it was still standing because of construction walls and mounds of dirt and equipment. So would the Riviera resort be using the customs house building as a check in like at OKW? If so that center area of the main building could easily be a small lobby with lake view Grand Villas.
    --Denise

    Scheduled upcoming Disney trips:


    11/30/17 - 12/14/17 - Bay Lake Tower at the Contemporary Resort
    03/01/18 - 03/08/18 - Copper Creek at the Wilderness Lodge

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    2
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Typical hotel construction commonly includes meeting space on the 2nd (or mezzanine) level. Another common use is offices or an interstitial level for mechanical purposes. In this case, meeting space seems most likely as there is no reason to have high ceilings in offices or mechanical space.

    Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by denlo View Post
    Those extra large openings are confusing me too. The center location is perfect for a 2 story lobby with great views of the lake, but it just seems to be too much space, even if you throw in a shop with market.

    We were told by more than one CM that the CBR customs house will no longer be part of CBR. We could not really see if it was still standing because of construction walls and mounds of dirt and equipment. So would the Riviera resort be using the customs house building as a check in like at OKW? If so that center area of the main building could easily be a small lobby with lake view Grand Villas.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Missouri City, TX
    Posts
    15,476
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Meeting space at a DVC resort? Sort of like the wasted space at SSR in the building next to the Carriage House at SSR? That just does not make sense to me.
    --Denise

    Scheduled upcoming Disney trips:


    11/30/17 - 12/14/17 - Bay Lake Tower at the Contemporary Resort
    03/01/18 - 03/08/18 - Copper Creek at the Wilderness Lodge

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    2
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Yeah, I agree, DVC doesn't need meeting space. It's likely public common area of some sort. A couple other thoughts are kiddie jail and concierge lounge.


    Quote Originally Posted by denlo View Post
    Meeting space at a DVC resort? Sort of like the wasted space at SSR in the building next to the Carriage House at SSR? That just does not make sense to me.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Posts
    168
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'm anxiously awaiting to see what they will charge per point and what the points chart will look like, as it's attached to a moderate level resort. I think what they do with this resort in regards to that will lay the pathway for other DVC attachments to moderate resorts.
    ~Amy~





  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Missouri City, TX
    Posts
    15,476
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aurora912 View Post
    I'm anxiously awaiting to see what they will charge per point and what the points chart will look like, as it's attached to a moderate level resort. I think what they do with this resort in regards to that will lay the pathway for other DVC attachments to moderate resorts.
    There is no indication that it will be attached to CBR. They are moving everything around at the CBR so the upper portion where the Riveria is located is not part of the resort.

    I would fully expect the point charts to be similar to CCV.
    Last edited by denlo; 01-31-2018 at 09:20 AM.
    --Denise

    Scheduled upcoming Disney trips:


    11/30/17 - 12/14/17 - Bay Lake Tower at the Contemporary Resort
    03/01/18 - 03/08/18 - Copper Creek at the Wilderness Lodge

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Posts
    168
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by denlo View Post
    There is no indication that it will be attached to CBR. They are moving everything around at the CBR so the upper portion where the Riveria is located is not part of the resort.

    I would fully expect the point charts to be similar to CCV.
    Interesting. So it'll be "around" CB, but also be a stand alone resort. Similar to OKW and SSR. And they're supposed to be adding some additional sky way transportation system, right? I'm starting to get back into my Disney obsession after back to back kids, so I apologize for not being up to date on all of this. lol. CC point chart don't look too bad. Hoping to staying there in early December in a few trips.
    ~Amy~





Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •