Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disney Phasing in Access to Discounts via MagicBands

Post Thanks / Like

Default Disney Phasing in Access to Discounts via MagicBands

Disney is adding a feature to MagicBands that guests have long requested. Some table service restaurants at Walt Disney World can now scan a guest’s MagicBand and, if applicable, automatically apply the Annual Pass discount to a guest’s bill.

View complete article
    This website is an unofficial publication regarding the Disney Vacation Club and is not affiliated in any way with Walt Disney World, The Walt Disney Company, the Disney Vacation Club, Disney Vacation Development, or any of their affiliates or subsidiaries. All Disney images The Walt Disney Company. All information presented on this site is subject to change. Information presented on this site may not be reproduced without permission.

Post Thanks / Like

I am VERY pleasantly surprised - actually I'm shocked - that they are doing this.

It really isn't in their best interest to make certain I get my discounts considering I'm already in the restaurant, ordered food and am ready to pay.

Post Thanks / Like

Default This is great!

Quote Originally Posted by KNWVIKING 2.0 View Post
    I am VERY pleasantly surprised - actually I'm shocked - that they are doing this.

It really isn't in their best interest to make certain I get my discounts considering I'm already in the restaurant, ordered food and am ready to pay.
    Disney workers have never been all that keen to remind you that they have discounts (I am sure most of us on this board have DVC, probably the other two common (AP, and Chase card)). At Dollywood (where there Gold Season Pass gets you 20% off of EVERYTHING, they regularly ask "Do you have a gold pass?", which I have always been happy with because I usually forget

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drsql View Post
    Disney workers have never been all that keen to remind you that they have discounts (I am sure most of us on this board have DVC, probably the other two common (AP, and Chase card)). At Dollywood (where there Gold Season Pass gets you 20% off of EVERYTHING, they regularly ask "Do you have a gold pass?", which I have always been happy with because I usually forget
    I would have been happy had they just posted on the menu boards at CS and the complimentary menu posted outside most TS what discounts they accept. Instead, they treat it like "Don't ask, don't tell".

Post Thanks / Like

So how does this work when using the TIW discount? I guess they'll apply the AP discount to the food and the TIW discount to the beverages. Oh boy - math .

We were just at a winery that gave us the bill with the tasting, food plates and bottles all on one tab. So I had to 'study' the bill to insure I tipped on all the correct items - certainly wasn't going to tip on the purchase of the bottled wine. Now I'm gonna have half a bill that is discounted with the auto 18% tip on only a portion of the bill with food discounted but not auto tipped. I'm confused already.

Janet & Dan

Post Thanks / Like

I like this idea instead of having to pull out an annual pass to show them but I don't always wear a MagicBand when I'm only going to Disney Springs and not a theme park.
    ~Diana

Post Thanks / Like

My guess for them doing this is to encourage more use of the magic bands as method of payment. I think being able to use the magic band for everything is a great thing and eliminates a lot of bulk in the pocket but it is one thing I can't bring myself to use. With all the frauds out there I am pretty diligent about constantly checking my online banking everyday to track where I am spending money. It helps me to not over spend and keep on budget. I can instantly check my bank account on my phone at any given time to see how much I've spent.
    By using the magic band it can get pretty care free for spending and Disney is banking on this. They may lose some dollars on the discounts but will gain it elsewhere when people are strolling through the shops and don't need to worry about pulling out their wallet. Although it is in it's infancy, if this goes full board it'll likely mean huge profits for Disney in other areas.
    [SIZE=2]WDW - 1990/DL - 1995/DL - 1996/WDW - 1998/WDW - DEC2008 (POFQ)/WDW - 2010 (POFQ - Proposed 1/31/2010)/WDW and DCL- MAR2011 (CS/Pop and Eastern Carribean on the Magic - Honeymoon)/DL - OCT2011 (Paradise Pier)/Aulani - JAN 2012/DL -OCT2012/WDW -JAN2013(BLT)/WDW - SEP2013(OKW)/DL - DEC2014/WDW and DCL- Sep2015(BLT/VWL, and Western Caribbean on the Fantasy/May 2016(AKV-Kidani)/Jan2017 (Aulani)

Post Thanks / Like

We have found the MBs are required for more than park entry - pool access, transportation system - that we've found ways to adapt to them. That said, since I carry discount cards, membership and DL on me already, I've gotten in the habit of paying with my CC. In October after handing over the TIW card for the discount we'd stick 4 CC in the slot and hand back the folio. We were never refused even tho it clearly says to keep the TIW discount the bill is to be paid by the holder of the card. I wonder if they're not trying to cut this out as it's a touch more of a time suck on a busy night to then take the bill, divide and print out in 4 sections to collect 4 signatures.

It would be nice if the DVC discount was applied to the MB because the stores could auto apply it to the various purchases - not sure if the AP discount applies to those purchases like the DVC discount and I often have found the cashier has forgotten the discount even tho we've discussed it.

Janet & Dan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Diana View Post
    I like this idea instead of having to pull out an annual pass to show them but I don't always wear a MagicBand when I'm only going to Disney Springs and not a theme park.
    How do you get back into your hotel room if you don't wear your MB when you go to Disney Springs?
    Michael

Post Thanks / Like

I like the idea for convenience but I worry about some individuals "cheating" the system.
    Now when I present my AP card for my discount, I'm also asked to present photo id.
    How do they know the MB wasn't handed off ??