Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DVCNews Debates: Budget Tightening

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KNWVIKING 2.0 View Post
    Well....prove I did it!!

If people were to be charged for damage to a room, every check in would require the guest and a CM to inspect EVERYTHING in the room and write down extensive details. Upon check out, a similar inspection would be required so the guest is protected from a "Surprise" on their credit card statement.

Next you need to determine what is chargable, what is routine wear and tear. Your room may have a coffee table with so many scratches you would deem it ruined. But who pays? Do you buy a new table if you put one scratch on it? Chances are the ruined table is a result of one scratch a week for the last 26 weeks.

Bottom line is that the administration of such a program would cost more than the savings.
    I agree. Rule #1 -- if you can't enforce it, don't put it in place.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wdrl View Post
    I'm not sure whether taking the vendor approach would necessarily improve quality or cost. If DVC and Disney has issues with Housekeeping, then we need to battle with the vendor to get things fixed. To me, that just adds a layer of bureaucracy that complicates arriving at solutions.

I have to admit that I'm prejudiced against vendors coming in and taking over operations. Too many times I see new vendors taking over part of a business operation and firing existing employees and then rehiring them at a reduced salary structure or by removing or reducing benefits. Maybe that works out great for the DVC members who reap the benefit of reduced Housekeeping charges, but its a benefit that is paid by the workers.
    I don't disagree!! Most workers definitely pay a price when vendor transitions happen; some actually make out better. Nonetheless, it was such a painful process to manage through that I knew I wanted to retire. Now that being said, everything else is really nickel and dime. And while those nickel and dimes DO add up, it is nowhere near bigger overhauls. The big money first, then the smaller stuff. Again, not making a statement or whether it is right or wrong, just sharing experience of financial cutbacks.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Nix The Cuts!

We have been members since 1993. By my (rather poor) math skills the average increase per point over all these years is a hair over 4%. I think that is fantastic!

We want our DVC to stay "Disney" quality from top to bottom. (If I wanted a "Motel 6" timeshare, I could have bought one; instead I bought into Disney.)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ltcolr92 View Post
    We have been members since 1993. By my (rather poor) math skills the average increase per point over all these years is a hair over 4%. I think that is fantastic!

We want our DVC to stay "Disney" quality from top to bottom. (If I wanted a "Motel 6" timeshare, I could have bought one; instead I bought into Disney.)
    What exactly is "Disney Quality" ? Light bulbs that barely light the room? Water pressure that barely rinses the shampoo from your hair? TV that offers virtually nothing outside their closed loop propaganda? Paper plates? No USB charging ports or even enough outlets to power up cell phones, laptops and tablets? Pools with out of service hot tubs and not enough lounge chairs?

I've stayed at several TS outside the bubble, Disney DVC Resorts don't even come close. Take away the parks and DVC resorts might make 3 Stars.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Not Our Experiences

Quote Originally Posted by KNWVIKING 2.0 View Post
    What exactly is "Disney Quality" ? Light bulbs that barely light the room? Water pressure that barely rinses the shampoo from your hair? TV that offers virtually nothing outside their closed loop propaganda? Paper plates? No USB charging ports or even enough outlets to power up cell phones, laptops and tablets? Pools with out of service hot tubs and not enough lounge chairs?

I've stayed at several TS outside the bubble, Disney DVC Resorts don't even come close. Take away the parks and DVC resorts might make 3 Stars.
    We are coming up on our 75th stay at DVCs. Sorry, but we have not experienced "your complaints." Two stays at other time shares have not lived up to our expectations of the usual DVC experience.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ltcolr92 View Post
    We are coming up on our 75th stay at DVCs. Sorry, but we have not experienced "your complaints." Two stays at other time shares have not lived up to our expectations of the usual DVC experience.
    They aren't my complaints, they're my experiences. Since 1995 we have "lived" inside the bubble approx 2 years. Not sure how many trips that equates to, but its more than just a few.

We recently stayed at a Marriott just off I-Drive and it would kick the butt of all Standalone DVC resorts and is the equal of any combined resort.

If you take away location, location, location, a DVC resort doesn't compare with the outsiders because they have to try twice as hard.
    Last edited by KNWVIKING 2.0; 11-13-2017 at 08:52 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I know that in BCV, we often complain about how cold the hallways are. When we stayed at Kidani a couple weeks ago, the hallways weren't much better. It would still be very cool if they raised the hall temps a couple of degrees.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by simbasmom View Post
    I know that in BCV, we often complain about how cold the hallways are. When we stayed at Kidani a couple weeks ago, the hallways weren't much better. It would still be very cool if they raised the hall temps a couple of degrees.
    You know how when everyone leaves the room and the AC shuts down to conserve energy..... the trick to that is to freeze you in the hallway so walking into your warm room feels good. by the time your body adjust, the AC is on & your room temp is dropping.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm always hesitant to request removal of items just because we don't use them. Our family would be devastated if they made DME a pay per use but I know lots of others don't use it.

We don't use the coffee in the suite but I know others do so I wouldn't ask for that to be cut.

It would be nice to receive a survey from time to time asking what amenities guests do use. If it turns out that certain things aren't being used then by all means get rid of it.

Ultimately the best savings on our dollars comes from efficiencies. However, like government taxes, I'm sure that there is so much waste with bureaucracy and a fraud that will never be eliminated and the cost gets passed down.
    [SIZE=2]WDW - 1990/DL - 1995/DL - 1996/WDW - 1998/WDW - DEC2008 (POFQ)/WDW - 2010 (POFQ - Proposed 1/31/2010)/WDW and DCL- MAR2011 (CS/Pop and Eastern Carribean on the Magic - Honeymoon)/DL - OCT2011 (Paradise Pier)/Aulani - JAN 2012/DL -OCT2012/WDW -JAN2013(BLT)/WDW - SEP2013(OKW)/DL - DEC2014/WDW and DCL- Sep2015(BLT/VWL, and Western Caribbean on the Fantasy/May 2016(AKV-Kidani)/Jan2017 (Aulani)

Post Thanks / Like

We use every item I mentioned to remove and, if they're removed, I'd miss them unless I could see their absence meant a cost savings.

However, for us, our DVC experience isn't based on the room or the parks as much as it is on the experience of a easy relaxing vacation. I've mentioned before that what does WDW for me is that after the cars parked at our home airport we don't have to worry. Upon arrival at MCO there's no 'you wait for the luggage and I'll hoof it over to the car rental', no 'did you remember to tag this or have you the reservations for that', and the 'room ready' text borders on phenomenal for me. 2015 we went several stays with never even approaching a check-in, concierge or bell service individuals except to call to have our room items delivered. I just spend a 5D vacation where 90% was pool and evening entertainment. Not once did I have to worry about traffic - no head on a swivel or GPS needed - just walk and enjoy without worrying about a designated driver or safety concerns.

Now did we have to rotate the mattress? Yes, because there was an obvious depression (broken springs ) in the spot people sit next to the beside table but rotating the mattress to place that area at the end of the bed solved the problem = no CM interaction needed.
    Last edited by bakerworld; 11-14-2017 at 06:45 AM.

Janet & Dan