Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Walt Disney World launches pet-friendly pilot program

Post Thanks / Like

Default Walt Disney World launches pet-friendly pilot program

Beginning Sunday, October 15, 2017 four Walt Disney World resorts will welcome guests' dogs in hotel rooms.

View complete article
    This website is an unofficial publication regarding the Disney Vacation Club and is not affiliated in any way with Walt Disney World, The Walt Disney Company, the Disney Vacation Club, Disney Vacation Development, or any of their affiliates or subsidiaries. All Disney images © The Walt Disney Company. All information presented on this site is subject to change. Information presented on this site may not be reproduced without permission.

Post Thanks / Like

It sounds like they're doing this in a reasonably intelligent way - there are (from the sound of it) separate rooms used for this, with easy access to outside areas. This should minimize the problems with allergies and noise affecting others.

I don't get why someone would want to bring their dog to the hotel, but hopefully this will cut down on the number of people claiming their pet is an assistance dog to get it into a hotel room that isn't set up to handle it.
    [WDW visits: DxL 1/98, VWL 1/03, WL 6/03, VWL 1/08, BWV 1/13, BCV 1/16, POFQ 4/17]
    [DL visits: 7/90, 11/93, 11/94, 11/95, 11/96, 6/97, 11/97, 11/99, 12/00, 8/01, 1/06, 2/08, 2/12, 6/14, VGC 7/16, DLH/VGC 1/17]
    [Family: me46, wife46, daughter19, son17, son13]
    [Races: 2016 WDW 10k, 2017 SW Light Side Rebel Challenge, 2017 SW Dark Side Half]

Post Thanks / Like

My first thought: The way service animal laws are written today, there’s really nothing Disney can do to prohibit animals. At least now they are better equipped to deal with them. And the added fees will serve as a deterrent for some, while covering the expenses of those who simply cannot live without their furry friend.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TimK View Post
    My first thought: The way service animal laws are written today, there’s really nothing Disney can do to prohibit animals. At least now they are better equipped to deal with them. And the added fees will serve as a deterrent for some, while covering the expenses of those who simply cannot live without their furry friend.
    From the ADA site: "Neither a deposit nor a surcharge may be imposed on an individual with a disability as a condition to allowing a service animal to accompany the individual with a disability, even if deposits are routinely required for pets."

This will do nothing to deter those who fake the service animal title.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm ok with it, I'm sure others wont be. i am a dog person, I love my dog more than anything, but she'd just be bored in the room. When we board her she has all the other dogs to run around and play with. And we'd never fly with her, she's too big to be on the plane with us.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by twinklebug View Post
    Absolutely, 100% agree!!!

People who game the system already feel empowered and entitled to do as they please where they please. Do you really think they want to be in The Dog Building with all those other barking dogs? Heck NO!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Therapy Pet . Org

Post Thanks / Like

From the ADA site: "Neither a deposit nor a surcharge may be imposed on an individual with a disability as a condition to allowing a service animal to accompany the individual with a disability, even if deposits are routinely required for pets."

Hmmmm. Too bad.

Post Thanks / Like

Figure there's two groups of people abusing the service-animal rules. There's the ones who are doing it because it's the only way they can keep Poopsie with them on the trip, and there's the ones who are doing it because they feel entitled to get away with anything they can.

This will, at least, shift (some of) the first group into paying for their pet, and will group them away from everyone else.
    [WDW visits: DxL 1/98, VWL 1/03, WL 6/03, VWL 1/08, BWV 1/13, BCV 1/16, POFQ 4/17]
    [DL visits: 7/90, 11/93, 11/94, 11/95, 11/96, 6/97, 11/97, 11/99, 12/00, 8/01, 1/06, 2/08, 2/12, 6/14, VGC 7/16, DLH/VGC 1/17]
    [Family: me46, wife46, daughter19, son17, son13]
    [Races: 2016 WDW 10k, 2017 SW Light Side Rebel Challenge, 2017 SW Dark Side Half]

Post Thanks / Like

I'd really be irritated if they ever instituted this at BLT. I don't mind ACTUAL service dogs because they are insanely smart and highly trained but I don't want to be checking in to my MK view room at BLT and smell dog pee as soon as I walk in. We have two weenie dogs and always have to have someone watch them when we are on vacation but I'd never even dream of taking them with us.