Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prices Rise for One Time Use Points

Post Thanks / Like

Default Prices Rise for One Time Use Points

More than seven years after Disney Vacation Club began offering "One Time Use" points, the price has gone up a bit.

View complete article
    This website is an unofficial publication regarding the Disney Vacation Club and is not affiliated in any way with Walt Disney World, The Walt Disney Company, the Disney Vacation Club, Disney Vacation Development, or any of their affiliates or subsidiaries. All Disney images © The Walt Disney Company. All information presented on this site is subject to change. Information presented on this site may not be reproduced without permission.

Post Thanks / Like

DH and I are feeling lucky that we purchased some OTUPs before this increase for our stay at Aulani next April. We were short 8 points for one of the nights and these points worked out well.
    --Denise

Scheduled upcoming Disney trips:

11/30/17 - 12/14/17 - Bay Lake Tower at the Contemporary Resort
    03/01/18 - 03/08/18 - Copper Creek at the Wilderness Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

I'm curious why they put the restrictions on these points. Why only 24? Why only One Time per UY?

Considering the no win battle they have with "commercial renters" and other outside point suppliers, this seems to be the perfect opportunity for Disney to basically beat the competition at their own game. Offer to buy up points we can't use each year and resell them to whoever needs points. I think people would feel safer dealing directly with the Mouse rather than a 3rd party and in the short term Disney could lower the price just to drive the others out of business.

Post Thanks / Like

Default There is not an unlimited supply of One Time Use Points

One time use points are points owned by DVC, the 2% minimum they must own, or DVD points that have not sold or they have reacquired. So they can decide on how many points will be used in this manner. I expect they have other uses for their points besides OTUPs.
    --Denise

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by denlo View Post
    One time use points are points owned by DVC, the 2% minimum they must own, or DVD points that have not sold or they have reacquired. So they can decide on how many points will be used in this manner. I expect they have other uses for their points besides OTUPs.
    I get all that, I just don't know why I can't get 3 points for a trip now, and then get 21 more later in the same UY say for a couple nights at HHI (using only OTUP for the trip). Or why the cut off is 24. Why not unlimited?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KNWVIKING 2.0 View Post
    I get all that, I just don't know why I can't get 3 points for a trip now, and then get 21 more later in the same UY say for a couple nights at HHI (using only OTUP for the trip). Or why the cut off is 24. Why not unlimited?
    I see what you mean. There has been a change that you can do exactly what you want. You are limited to 24 points but not restricted to one purchase per use year. Now you can split the 24 points between reservations. We just purchased 8 OTUP in our 2018 UY for an April 2018 reservation. We can now purchase any or all of the remaining 24 points, 16 for our situation for another reservation in the same UY. It is my understanding that the number of reservations are not limited. You buy the OTUP when you make each reservation. But you are still restricted to reservations for the 7 month mark or later.
    --Denise

Post Thanks / Like

Red face Nice Change to OTUP!

Quote Originally Posted by denlo View Post
    I see what you mean. There has been a change that you can do exactly what you want. You are limited to 24 points but not restricted to one purchase per use year. Now you can split the 24 points between reservations. We just purchased 8 OTUP in our 2018 UY for an April 2018 reservation. We can now purchase any or all of the remaining 24 points, 16 for our situation for another reservation in the same UY. It is my understanding that the number of reservations are not limited. You buy the OTUP when you make each reservation. But you are still restricted to reservations for the 7 month mark or later.
    Denise, Your comment about OTUP not being limited to one purchase per year caught my eye. Tim, when he wrote this article, included the comment: "Owners can make one purchase per year for up to 24 total points." But I went to the DVCMemeber website and read the updated FAQ on OTUP ( https://disneyvacationclub.disney.go...points/how-to/ ) that appears to support what you are saying about being able to make multiple OTUP each year up to a maximum of 24 points. Nice upgrade!

Post Thanks / Like

If you understood the rules, all current use year points must be used first in order to use 1 time use points, so if you used all your points and needed 3, where would those points come from to need 21 more if you used all your points on the first trip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I suspect because they want us to buy more points for permanent ownership. This seems to be more of a convenience feature for once in a while use, not something to use as a regular crutch. Of course, there's no reason they can't change that rule, but it's just my speculation as to why that's how it's like that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PhilUp View Post
    I suspect because they want us to buy more points for permanent ownership. This seems to be more of a convenience feature for once in a while use, not something to use as a regular crutch. Of course, there's no reason they can't change that rule, but it's just my speculation as to why that's how it's like that.
    Of course they want you to buy more. Dvc owners essentially pay disney property taxes, and donít technically own anything

But as for changing rules, why change them they already donít enforce most, I called 7 days after my banking window closed, and they manually banked them for me. Or the one that was in our 2003 member guidebook that said useing points for financial gain isnít allowed, renting your unused points out if they are gonna expire is one thing, but when you have 2000 or more points, and strictly use the for renting out instead of getting a job is bull****, itís not fair to the rest of rule abiding members

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk