Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  15
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DVCNews Debates: Pets in Villas

Post Thanks / Like

Default DVCNews Debates: Pets in Villas

During Hurricane Irma, Disney lifted its usual restrictions and allowed resort guests to bring pets into their hotel rooms and villas. A series of rules and restrictions were put in place, dictating that leashes be used at all times, certain areas were completely off limits (restaurants, lounges, pools), designated animal relief areas and a requirement that pets never be left unattended in guest rooms. Nevertheless, outside of compliance with Federal ADA laws, this would seem to mark the first time that Disney resorts opened their doors to four-legged friends.

Topic: Do you agree or disagree with the decision to permit pets in Disney resort rooms? Should the pet restrictions be lifted entirely?

View complete article
    This website is an unofficial publication regarding the Disney Vacation Club and is not affiliated in any way with Walt Disney World, The Walt Disney Company, the Disney Vacation Club, Disney Vacation Development, or any of their affiliates or subsidiaries. All Disney images © The Walt Disney Company. All information presented on this site is subject to change. Information presented on this site may not be reproduced without permission.

2. Likes Czguest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

NEVER lift the ban on non service animals.

If Disney wants to build a Standalone Resort just for folks with pets, no problem, it will never affect my vacation.

I've spent a week next door to a couple that gamed the ADA Service Dog requirements and had to listen to their yapping dogs every time they went to the parks, pool or restaurants.

So the rules for the storm were never leave the dog unattended. That's relatively easy when the parks are closed and you're sorta housebound due to the weather. But this will be the most broken rule since since "Close Cover Before Striking Match" under normal circumstances. You think people will go to Disney just to sit in the room with Fido?

4. Likes MiniMN, Hookdonwdw liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Given the extraordinary situation caused by Hurricane Irma, it is completely understandable that Disney allowed evacuees to seek shelter with their pets. In fact, to do otherwise during a natural disaster would be a rather cold hearted act on Disney's part.

However, there is no reason to change the "no-pets" rule during normal business operations. Frankly, I don't understand why anyone would go to Disney and bring along the family pet. Maybe they don't want to pay for kenneling their pet back home?

6. Likes jarestel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Please do not change the no pet policy. Some of us are very allergic to pets. It was very considerate of Disney to allow pets in the rooms only during the Hurricane Irma. But pets should not have been allowed access to the lobby or any public areas other than the service dog potty area.
    --Denise

Scheduled upcoming Disney trips:

11/30/17 - 12/14/17 - Bay Lake Tower at the Contemporary Resort
    03/01/18 - 03/08/18 - Copper Creek at the Wilderness Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

Default Leave the no pets policy in place, please

I have allergies and I don't go on vacation expecting to have my allergies acting up.
    If there are special rooms or buildings, then fine, but otherwise keep the policy in place, please.
    I certainly hope that after the hurricane, the rooms were THOROUGHLY cleaned to eliminate any reactions.
    I was on a Disney Member Cruise where a teenage girl tied a purple ribbon around her pit bull's collar and called it a service dog.
    You're kind of in a limited space and my allergies and someone else's allergies were acting up all week.
    I asked her to please keep her dog away from me and her, her sister and her mother all screamed at me.
    The other allergic person was nearby and said his allergies were also acting up.
    I don't go on vacation to be miserable so I really appreciate this policy.

Post Thanks / Like

Default What's up with this?

Quote Originally Posted by KNWVIKING 2.0 View Post
    NEVER lift the ban on non service animals.

If Disney wants to build a Standalone Resort just for folks with pets, no problem, it will never affect my vacation.

I've spent a week next door to a couple that gamed the ADA Service Dog requirements and had to listen to their yapping dogs every time they went to the parks, pool or restaurants.

So the rules for the storm were never leave the dog unattended. That's relatively easy when the parks are closed and you're sorta housebound due to the weather. But this will be the most broken rule since since "Close Cover Before Striking Match" under normal circumstances. You think people will go to Disney just to sit in the room with Fido?
    I don't get this. I thought people with service animals needed them at all times, 24/7, either for physical or emotional reasons. So yes, it seems that those guests were abusing the ADA Service Animal Policy. Even if they needed the pet for physical reasons, such as opening doors or retrieving objects and then they don't exactly need the pet when they have another person who can do all those things for person, they should be respectful of their neighbors and still take the pet with them. I see service pets in the parks all the time and don't mind them there at all.

I have ADA issues myself (not ones that include Service Animals), so I don't mind legitimate Service Animals staying in villas or rooms provided Disney does a thorough cleaning afterwards. I also have family members that are very allergic to pet dander so really would need that thorough cleaning if we were following someone with service pets.

Don't know how this would work with the present DVC rules and regulations, but maybe if there was an additional cleaning fee for guests with pets, it would help eliminate guests abusing the Service Animal Policy. Also not exactly sure how that would work with present ADA rights for those who are legitimate users.

I commend Disney for having a heart and taking in guests pets during Irma with the rules they put into place. Not an ordinary circumstance. But, do not change the policy to allow pets in rooms or villas. If Disney wants to accept guests with pets (other than service), I agree, provide or build stand alone accommodations.

Wondering if there is enough traffic to afford Disney to build an ADA accessible DVC Resort that the whole resort would be geared for any kind of ADA issues. Including transportation to and from all the WDW venues.
    Last edited by waltons; 09-18-2017 at 10:53 AM.
    Having fun with the Journey.

Post Thanks / Like

I would love to have a pet friendly DVC resort, but I don't think all of them should be pet-friendly. Not everybody has pets, and some people have allergies. I also think that, even on pet-friendly resorts, there should be pretty strict guidelines, and owners must be responsible for their pets. As the owner of a puppy (polish lowland sheepdog named Café), it bothers when when other dog owners around my subdivision don't pick up after their pets, or leave then outside unattended. I would assume that a pet friendly DVC resort would have very different maintenance fees (maybe higher), or maybe a pet deposit for DVC owners that don't call this resort their home but want to stay there.

11. Likes MiniMN, idratherbeinwdw, Czguest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

As far as Disney lifting the ban on pets for its CMs, who are working while riding out the hurricane, OK. Their commitment to be on the "ride out" team should come with some perks, and I don't mind that that's one of them. But how many guests are really "evacuees"? I don't see the necessity to allow guests to bring their pets during a hurricane-there's a nearby kennel for that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by waltons View Post
    I don't get this. I thought people with service animals needed them at all times, 24/7, either for physical or emotional reasons. So yes, it seems that those guests were abusing the ADA Service Animal Policy. Even if they needed the pet for physical reasons, such as opening doors or retrieving objects and then they don't exactly need the pet when they have another person who can do all those things for person, they should be respectful of their neighbors and still take the pet with them. I see service pets in the parks all the time and don't mind them there at all.
    As I stated these people were totally gaming the system. There were three people in the room; husband, wife and his or her elderly mother and TWO little dogs - only one of which Disney was aware of - and the husband/wife were Doctor/Office manager. He could easily get the dog registered as an ADA Service Animal. The ploy was that the dog could smell when her blood sugar was off, which is great and I'm sure there are dogs that perform this service, but I don't know of any dog that can sniff your sugar when he's at OKW and you are at MK.

Again, total gamers and all Disney wanted to do was relocate ME and my wife.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mom risking her health.......................

[QUOTE=KNWVIKING 2.0;196063]As I stated these people were totally gaming the system. There were three people in the room; husband, wife and his or her elderly mother and TWO little dogs - only one of which Disney was aware of - and the husband/wife were Doctor/Office manager. He could easily get the dog registered as an ADA Service Animal. The ploy was that the dog could smell when her blood sugar was off, which is great and I'm sure there are dogs that perform this service, but I don't know of any dog that can sniff your sugar when he's at OKW and you are at MK.

Ya, I know service dogs can do that, even detect when convulsions are about to come on. But, according to the owner, if that is what the dog's job was for, they definitely should have had the dog with them at ALL TIMES. But then they would not have proper docs for (unknown to Disney) service pups little friend to accompany them, and that one would for sure yap the whole time left alone. Bottom lines are, service pups friend should have been left at home, or they should have had proper docs for both pups, or bottom, bottom line, elderly Mom should have stayed behind with her sugar detecting pup as to not risk her health.
    How annoying for you and your wife and any other guests within ear shot.
    Having fun with the Journey.