Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: DVCNews Debates: Wilderness Lodge enhancements

Post Thanks / Like

Default DVCNews Debates: Wilderness Lodge enhancements

When changes to Disney's Wilderness Lodge were first announced, some members voiced disappointment. Expansion of the resort's quiet pool, addition of a new restaurant and waterside cabins would undeniably change the look and feel of the resort. But now that Boulder Ridge Cove Pool, Geyser Point Bar & Grill and the Cascade Cabins are complete and open to the public, perhaps there is a different feeling toward the changes.

Topic: Are you pleased with the new & updated amenities offered at Disney's Wilderness Lodge?

View complete article
    This website is an unofficial publication regarding the Disney Vacation Club and is not affiliated in any way with Walt Disney World, The Walt Disney Company, the Disney Vacation Club, Disney Vacation Development, or any of their affiliates or subsidiaries. All Disney images © The Walt Disney Company. All information presented on this site is subject to change. Information presented on this site may not be reproduced without permission.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Very pleased

At first I was disappointed that the quiet pool was taken away but we are currently staying at copper creek and I love the new pool and we also had lunch at Geyser Point and it was amazing. They were very accommodating to my daughters food allergy plus the atmosphere was fantastic. Now they just need to redo the slide at the main pool. Compared to other resorts it is lacking.

Post Thanks / Like

We always loved how quiet and secluded the resort felt so I was more than a little perturbed when I read about all the expansion.

We visited the the resort in May, had a bit to eat at the new restaurant but Roarin Forks and the new pool were still closed.

We'll revisit in April but I think I'll be okay with the changes.

What I don't like is the lack of pool chairs at the main pool and I don't think it will be any better at the new pool. While I hate it when people drop "stuff" off on the loungers to save their place, I'd almost understand it because the options are so limited, you snooze you lose.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Reminiscing...

Here's a YouTube video of the old walkway and nature path.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Very nice

I like the enhancements and find the new additions make an already great destination even better. Disney did a wonderful job with the redesign and re-themeing of the resort into Boulder Ridge and Copper Creek.

Post Thanks / Like

Default So far, so good

We had a brief 1 night stay in early June and although many things were still not available, it still looked GREAT!. I was prepared to dislike the new theme, etc. but it really does draw you in. I was truly disappointed to lose the quiet pool, but the new one looked outstanding. The new QS & bar was very good, although I wondered how comfortable it will be in November. On the down side, the cabins (while nicely themed) still make no sense to me at all. But we are looking forward for an opportunity to get a week there next spring.

AKVHutch

Post Thanks / Like

I like the changes sure the nature trail has pretty much cut in half, but there is still some trail there and the walkway to Ft. Wilderness still provides some views of nature and wildlife. More important to the majority of the guests at Wilderness Lodge I think the additional amenities like Geyser Point a larger second pool, improved covered outdoor dining for Roaring Forks plus all the additions to the landscaping is a real plus. Disney has planted tons of pine and deciduous trees around the cabins and improved the wetland areas between BRV and the cabins. I a few years some will miss the current views of the lakes from BRV. And I am one of those I prefer to see wide open vistas, part of my Colorado background reemerging, as to me there is nothing like the wide open space in west and southwest.
    --Denise

Scheduled upcoming Disney trips:

11/30/17 - 12/14/17 - Bay Lake Tower at the Contemporary Resort
    03/01/18 - 03/08/18 - Copper Creek at the Wilderness Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

Now that the dust has settled and we have a pretty good idea of all the changes, I guess I can weigh in with a less emotional response than my initial knee-jerk reaction.

Keep in mind that I loved VWL just the way it was....secluded, quiet, and a wonderful haven away from the hustle and bustle of WDW. It is my favorite resort, hands down due to the integration of the theming throughout the resort grounds.

I think the addition of Geyser Point is a huge plus for the Wilderness Lodge campus. A strange combination of counter service and table service but it is beautifully designed to fit in with the theme of the resort and nurturing an adult beverage on the shore of Bay Lake with a little breeze coming in....heaven! This by far was the best of the changes, even at the expense of the beach.

The new "quiet pool"? It's about the same size as the main pool now, but without the slide. It's nice to have a zero entry pool but in general this was pretty much a wash for me. I like the landscaping and theming of the pool but it has lost some of it's secluded feel that the old pool had. On the other hand, the larger size will help handle the overall increased occupancy generated by the three resorts that share amenities there.

Overall, I think Disney executed their changes with a lot of thoughtfulness and good design. So after all is said and done, I am okay with the changes. Do I prefer the new look to the old one? Well, no, not really. But if they had to put another DVC resort in this location, I think they did a pretty good job all around. And hopefully the trees they've planted will grow quickly so we can once again enjoy the secluded feel of VWL before our membership expires.

9. Likes denlo, Tikihut liked this post